Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Just one of those footballing simple things that are annoying - when opponents have a corner why not leave your 2 weakest defending players out wide on each side on the halfway line as that drags away 3 defenders from our box and we could actually counter attack if they have real pace as well 

Annoyingly, we don’t ever try this. Not even on the rare occasion when the game is won. Just adds to our predictability. 

We may not have the players to rotate the likes of NML but maybe Warne should consider giving him the 20/30 mins at the end of the match.  Play our second half team from yesterday first half sort of thing…

17 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree totally 

with their athleticism causing us problems we brought on sibley who has as much athleticism as half of us… be honest thought it was a game made for fornah … or certainly im of the opinion he would have given us a better chance of matching them in that respect 

I consider that to be a harsh judgement of Sibley, as he and Thompson typically press better than any of our other mids, even if he has a tendency of giving away a high number of fouls as a result. Taking this game as an example, he made 3 tackles, interceptions and blocks (and 2 fouls), whilst Bird, Hourihane and Thompson made a combined 3 defensive actions (and 1 foul). In fact, when looking at overall defensive actions this season, Sibley is our 2nd best midfielder behind Fornah.

He's also better than everyone else for open play attacking contributions. He has more shots and key passes than any other player (Thompson and Bird are 2nd and 3rd), whilst he's only a fraction behind Thompson and Fornah for attempted dribbles. As yesterday showed, Sibley's set pieces are just as dangerous as Hourihane's.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I consider that to be a harsh judgement of Sibley, as he and Thompson typically press better than any of our other mids, even if he has a tendency of giving away a high number of fouls as a result. Taking this game as an example, he made 3 tackles, interceptions and blocks (and 2 fouls), whilst Bird, Hourihane and Thompson made a combined 3 defensive actions (and 1 foul). In fact, when looking at overall defensive actions this season, Sibley is our 2nd best midfielder behind Fornah.

He's also better than everyone else for open play attacking contributions. He has more shots and key passes than any other player (Thompson and Bird are 2nd and 3rd), whilst he's only a fraction behind Thompson and Fornah for attempted dribbles. As yesterday showed, Sibley's set pieces are just as dangerous as Hourihane's.

Well with players coming back from injury, I’m not sure Sibley will get a start.   Whatever the stats might say 

On the goal keeping distribution front…. I don’t know if it’s my position in the East Stand (Upper, next to the away fans) but Wildsmith seems always to kick long when there is a pass on to one of the defenders. Are the attackers closer to the defender than it looks or do people think Wildsmith doesn’t trust himself and would rather hoof it safe even though, more often than not, it leads to a turnover of possession

13 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

On the goal keeping distribution front…. I don’t know if it’s my position in the East Stand (Upper, next to the away fans) but Wildsmith seems always to kick long when there is a pass on to one of the defenders. Are the attackers closer to the defender than it looks or do people think Wildsmith doesn’t trust himself and would rather hoof it safe even though, more often than not, it leads to a turnover of possession

I think it's just the desire to boot the ball as far away from his goal as possible.  Never understand why we do this.  Just play it to the defenders, play it round the back, keep possession and if we have to go back to Wildsmith to launch it at least we have run the clock down a little.  It's the same result but has taken a few more seconds off the clock. 

Thought without the ability to bring Bradley on yesterday we might not sit back so much and invite Boro onto us but it made no difference and cost us points yet again.

7 hours ago, MadAmster said:

A "comedy" of errors. Starting with the starting XI, maybe? Some of our not so young players looked off the pace and pace was the catalyst in the game. They were quicker just about everywhere. Hourihane and NML being the 2 "worst" IMO with Nat taking the biscuit. He roasts full backs for fun, usually, but I don't think he did his man a single time before his HT substitution. He totally forgot about tracking back too. On half a dozen occasions I was shouting at the screen for him to track his man. The first time led to their first goal, his "man" providing the assist. A totally preventable goal. No surprise that CH and NML were off at HT and Foz was on a yellow and had had a knock to his knee so probably wise to sub him off too.

Their 2nd saw our defence fail to follow the movement of an opponent and he nodded home, totally unmarked. I know I'm old fashioned when it comes to things like strikers hunting in pairs. I also remain old school when it comes to defending corners. A man at the post would have prevented their equaliser.

Their 3rd? How often have we seen us fail to properly clear the ball and pay the price? Nels and Cash got in each other's way, ball only partially cleared, came back in, Jones was stood in an offside position, one of our defenders got his head to it and it fell to Jones who poked it between JWs legs... because our player had purposely made contact with the ball, Jones was no longer deemed offside, in perfect accordance with the current offside Law.

All too often, as has happened quite a lot this season, they had players allowed to make 40 or more yards without a challenge. Get into 'em I say.

The better side on the day won. We get back up, dust ourselves down and we start over again.

NML was so innocuous that it felt like he was subbed off at half time? Might want to check your facts there m'lud.

It's almost like you didn't actually watch the game before commenting but I would never suggest such a thing...

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

With Fozzy and Hourihane both on the pitch after all the football we’ve played, we were bound to be pummelled (as you put it). The miracle was Collins’ ability to play so well and to cover so much ground after the recent schedule. It was a massive effort by him 

Thank you for commenting on Collins. A few have mentioned it. Two goals and he ran his absolute knacks off. Thought he was out MotM sorry it’s PotM now isn’t it Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office

A lot of posts talking about how tired and leggy we looked.

Fair play so Warne for taking decisive action at HT.

But I thought his background and DNA was in fitness and conditioning so surely with all the associated tech and monitoring the condition of each and every player was known before yesterday.

But that doesn't make sense given the HT reaction which looked like a head coach being disappointed and/or surprised by aspects of our performance.

Feels like something was overlooked or perhaps Warne realized he'd gambled and lost hence the RD interview reaction?

A painful learning experience...

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

But I thought his background and DNA was in fitness and conditioning so surely with all the associated tech and monitoring the condition of each and every player was known before yesterday.

But that doesn't make sense given the HT reaction which looked like a head coach being disappointed and/or surprised by aspects of our performance.

Feels like something was overlooked or perhaps Warne realized he'd gambled and lost hence the RD interview reaction?

He has a background as a fitness coach, not selling L’Oreal anti-aging creams. 

16 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

NML was so innocuous that it felt like he was subbed off at half time? Might want to check your facts there m'lud.

It's almost like you didn't actually watch the game before commenting but I would never suggest such a thing...

65 minutes. Memory playing tricks. Can I claim age as the cause  🙂 ? I got the time of his substitution wrong. 

BTW - you DID suggest such a thing

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

65 minutes. Memory playing tricks. Can I claim age as the cause  🙂 ? I got the time of his substitution wrong. 

BTW - you DID suggest such a thing

Just pulling your leg, chuckled at how unequivocal you were about it! Old age comes to us all.

Up the Rams

7 hours ago, Srg said:

He has a background as a fitness coach, not selling L’Oreal anti-aging creams. 

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Paul Warne called it before the game - he thought Peterborough were the best side in the Division. Unlike most of us, I am sure they had looked at all their recent games and realised the threat they posed, particularly up front. I sure most fans are a little surprised by their quality.

I expect he wanted to put our his current most strongest eleven, and therefore went unchanged from the last 2 games - I guess hoping that the occasion would lift they players and we could get some sort of result (a draw would have been decent). If everyone is totally honest, I think the majority of us would have gone with an unchanged team (without the benefit of hindsight). I was happy with the decision.

Regardless of what team we had put out, (possibly with the exception of Fornah), we would have been outrun, such was the athleticism of the Peterborough team. For all their effort Thompson and Sibley are not pacey and not strong enough in the tackle. As I said previously, Fornah may have been useful in the squad, but I can understand why Warne kept the same squad.

I think Peterborough were excellent and epitomises the type of squad Paul Warne would like to develop, given the time and opportunity - young, athletic, pacy.

All the speculation is that he is looking for a younger, more dynamic midfielder (and striker) in the transfer window -lets hope he is successful.

Without wanting to criticise and call out players, I have been a little disappointed with Joe Wildsmith during the last couple of games. As an ex-goalkeeper, I agree with the old saying "you have to be a bit mad to be a goalkeeper"! It was certainly a moment of madness in the first couple of minutes at Oxford, with the needless penalty. The free kick was also a great opportunity to score but having set his wall up to cover one side of the goal, he has to cover the other side. If the ball goes over/through the wall, then there is not much you can do about it. But as the free kick is taken he makes a slight movement to his right, shifting his weight (as if anticipating the ball going over the wall), so there was no way he could save the free kick to side he was covering, which admittedly was beautifully struck.

Against Peterborough, I thought he was excellent early on - a very good save 1st half and caught a number of crosses second half to take the pressure off the defence. It looked as though he could have done better with the second goal, but like everyone else was not ready for the quick cross. Probably, could also have been more dominant/braver in the lead up to the third goal too? As a goalkeeper, only a slight error or misjudgment can be so costly.

But he also needs to be a bit more canny with his time wasting activities. It looked as though he may have made a lot of a hand injury in the first half, which allowed Warne and Barker to have a word with the players, resulting in a reorganisation of midfield, which was very necessary at the time (good dark arts?). But after we had taken the lead, he started wasting time with goal kicks and was eventually warned by the referee, who pointed to his watch to indicate he would add time on. Lo and behold, last minute of added time! I like him generally as a goalkeeper, but I do think he could be a bit smarter with his decision making at times and his "winding the clock down" activities.

12 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No learning in it,he gambled on an experienced and improved first half side to control and hold onto the game...with the intention of fresh legs later on.

It very nearly paid off but didn't this time.

We still gained more points over the period than Peterborough don't forget.

To be fair,he could have gone the other way and the usual moaners would still have appeared to wring their hands in disbelief.

On 31/12/2023 at 11:08, kevinhectoring said:

Well it’d be interesting to hear Warne’s comments on the issue of rotation and depth of squad. Also his team’s views on how the training regime should differ for OAPs vs spring chickens; and how it should differ for players who are out there every minute and those who are in the dugout week in week out. @Owen87ITKmay be a flawless ‘home team’ commentator but he lets Warne and the club muzzle him to the extent the manager interviews are mind blowingly dull. These are the sort of points of substance Warne could discuss without then having to shoot people. And - unlike the segments on coffee, bobble hats and Xmas presents (who cares?) - it would give some footballing insight into the behind the scenes 

With respect, I am not muzzled by anyone. All the best. 

On 01/01/2024 at 18:43, CBRammette said:

Disappointing but their forward play was excellent at times. Perhaps we could have looked at their recruitment team rather than Oxford? 
Anyway was slightly inevitable today - how many times do we not hit the heights with more expectation and a larger crowd? As long as I can remember in the recent past. Also as someone incredibly superstitious dont add to the odds against us by introducing a new Rammie today and then not playing Mr Brightside just before they come out on to pitch. @Owen87ITK please can you get that sorted?! 😂

You might want to blame me for Monday in that case - my prep was slightly different to the last few weeks, and I’m a bit of a creature of habit 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Owen87ITK said:

You might want to blame me for Monday in that case - my prep was slightly different to the last few weeks, and I’m a bit of a creature of habit 🤦🏻‍♂️

Owen yes you contributed then also 😂

On 02/01/2024 at 13:37, Ghost of Clough said:

Bet sibleys back on the bench next game 

thered a reason hes spent most of his derby career in it with numerous managers. 

id strongly disagree re sibleys set pieces… it was only the other week CH delivered a gorgeous ball for our winner at oxford….easily forgotton seemingly