Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

15 minutes ago, dantheram said:

Went today so can comment with some legitimacy for once. 

In short, I thought we were very average, there’s a top 6 team in there but I think the division being really poor is helping massively. 

Other thoughts - Cashin won’t be here post January, he’s by far the best the player we have and I’d suggest us being held back by the standard around him. 

I thought Peterborough were a solid footballing team and it dawned on me how far we’ve fallen watching them stroke the ball around us likes cones - I remember the Yeovil away goal where the boot was firmly on the t’other foot; sad times. 

With it being a single game sample, I assume we’ve played much better and much worse at times and that over a season we’ll likely do enough to scrape into the playoffs. Not great and certainly done little to change my view on Warne’s style / approach - I don’t much like it. 

Their style is certainly easier on the eye, but as we're only 3 points behind them with a game in hand, it's not necessarily more effective, and the only thing that will matter at the end of the season is who gets promoted.

Just now, VulcanRam said:

This is certainly an important part of our development if we're going to improve on holding onto leads. Every player back and hoof to the opposition so they can come at us time and time again is rudimentary. In the end today Peterborough threw so many players forward because they knew what our "strategy" was that they were ripe for the counter attack if we had the courage to leave one or two players forward.

To be fair ten minutes into the game we were being pummelled in central midfield and immediately needed an extra player in there and I was surprised it took until half time to introduce one 

23 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Like Will he will go on to a team in a higher division. Oops, I did it again! 

Will Hughes would p1ss all over anything in this league every week. He wouldn’t have our entire fanbase making excuses for him every week and still asking the questions like where is he effective. Hughes would dominate and run games from deep in this league and I’m pretty sure if he was playing no. 10 there would be plenty of goals and assists.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

To be fair ten minutes into the game we were being pummelled in central midfield and immediately needed an extra player in there and I was surprised it took until half time to introduce one 

You're right; I was referring to the last 10 mins when, at 2-1 up, we started sitting deep and pulling everyone back for set pieces so there was no out-ball.

31 minutes ago, dantheram said:

Went today so can comment with some legitimacy for once. 

In short, I thought we were very average, there’s a top 6 team in there but I think the division being really poor is helping massively. 

Other thoughts - Cashin won’t be here post January, he’s by far the best the player we have and I’d suggest us being held back by the standard around him. 

I thought Peterborough were a solid footballing team and it dawned on me how far we’ve fallen watching them stroke the ball around us likes cones - I remember the Yeovil away goal where the boot was firmly on the t’other foot; sad times. 

With it being a single game sample, I assume we’ve played much better and much worse at times and that over a season we’ll likely do enough to scrape into the playoffs. Not great and certainly done little to change my view on Warne’s style / approach - I don’t much like it. 

My first live game in a year. You've saved me writing a post about it. 

Agree with every one of your points.

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Their number 14, Randall looks like a proper player and he linked up well with all his teammates. Derby could do with a midfielder like that. 

I really liked him too. And their no. 4 CB who linked up with Randall often.

Good footballing team that Peterborough side. How we used to play.

13 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Will Hughes would p1ss all over anything in this league every week. He wouldn’t have our entire fanbase making excuses for him every week and still asking the questions like where is he effective. Hughes would dominate and run games from deep in this league and I’m pretty sure if he was playing no. 10 there would be plenty of goals and assists.

Let me be clear - Will Hughes is better than Max Bird. I just think that Bird is not suited to our style of football which is largely about running around a lot and flinging the ball in the box from anywhere. He'd be better off in Peterborough's team - which is a great shame in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Let me be clear - Will Hughes is better than Max Bird. I just think that Bird is not suited to our style of football which is largely about running around a lot and flinging the ball in the box from anywhere. He'd be better off in Peterborough's team - which is a great shame in my opinion. 

You may have a good point there, Max has certainly not been the same  player in recent games, we don’t know but Max may already have his mind on “other” opportunities. 

I would have taken the 6 points from 9 in these last three games, but I suppose for the majority of supporters who only see the home games, today's performance was a disappointment. 

I think Warne deliberately front-loaded those fixtures by playing his first choice eleven at Wigan, knowing a win there would be the easiest of the three. He then has a bit of a dilemma in whether he changes a winning team and stuck by it on both subsequent occasions, when maybe it was better to twist? Of course, winning breeds confidence and that must have been a factor in his decision. It paid off at Oxford, with good use of substitutions, and might have done today. But I think the tough nature of those fixtures was a factor in our below par level this afternoon. 

One thing that hasn't been covered today, is that if you're going to sacrifice your third midfield player for an extra striker then that front line absolutely has to deliver the goods. Although Peterborough had plenty of the ball in that first half we had some really promising counter attacks (when the ball was played into the forwards by those "poor" midfielders Hourihane and Bird! 😉) but the forwards didn't make the right decisions on the ball and those attacks petered out (pun intended). I thought Mendez-Laing was particularly guilty of that today, he's my fave so I noticed it! Tired minds rather than tired legs after the hectic schedule? Similarly, players laying the ball off when there wasn't a perfect opportunity to shoot. Just not quite sharp enough in their collective decision making.

Despite this, I thought we more or less deserved the draw for our hard work and persistence,  but again tired minds in the defence, a sloppy moment when we switched off at a quick short corner, and two of our most reliable defenders with an almost intuitive understanding going for the same header for their winner.

Disappointed but not down-hearted; we have a run of winnable games coming up, we have the news that Cashin's contract extension has been triggered and Warne himself says he doesn't want anyone to leave.

About his swearing on Radio Derby, I think it must have been edited out of the second playing just before 6pm, as I never heard it. Of course, I might just have missed it like the ref missed all those fouls on TJJ! 

Disappointing to concede two soft goals. Lack of concentration, especially from the corner which I felt took us by surprise when taken short and we weren’t set properly. 

I thought they were the better team but maybe a draw was a fair result. We just have to move on and go on another run. That’s what teams who get promoted do. You need 3 of these runs so two to go! 

Fleetwood and Burton become important matches now - both games we have to win and should win if we want to finish top two. 

Let’s get behind them. These players are in league 1 for a reason, even Boro’s excellent wide men missed sitters, and will make mistakes.

Football is a fickle mistress. From delight to despair and hopefully back again soon.

🐏🐏

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Disappointing to concede two soft goals. Lack of concentration, especially from the corner which I felt took us by surprise when taken short and we weren’t set properly. 

I thought they were the better team but maybe a draw was a fair result. We just have to move on and go on another run. That’s what teams who get promoted do. You need 3 of these runs so two to go! 

Fleetwood and Burton become important matches now - both games we have to win and should win if we want to finish top two. 

Let’s get behind them. These players are in league 1 for a reason, even Boro’s excellent wide men missed sitters, and will make mistakes.

Football is a fickle mistress. From delight to despair and hopefully back again soon.

🐏🐏

To be honest every game is important now and should be treated as a must-win.

56 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Curtis Nelson IMO is better than Curtis Davies (was last season) so the simple answer to your question is ‘Yes’.

As per the end of the post I agree that he's replaced players who left with better suited players, what I meant was had be replaced any players who were still here with options who have proven themselves better than a player he had the option to use.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I would have taken the 6 points from 9 in these last three games, but I suppose for the majority of supporters who only see the home games, today's performance was a disappointment. 

I think Warne deliberately front-loaded those fixtures by playing his first choice eleven at Wigan, knowing a win there would be the easiest of the three. He then has a bit of a dilemma in whether he changes a winning team and stuck by it on both subsequent occasions, when maybe it was better to twist? Of course, winning breeds confidence and that must have been a factor in his decision. It paid off at Oxford, with good use of substitutions, and might have done today. But I think the tough nature of those fixtures was a factor in our below par level this afternoon. 

One thing that hasn't been covered today, is that if you're going to sacrifice your third midfield player for an extra striker then that front line absolutely has to deliver the goods. Although Peterborough had plenty of the ball in that first half we had some really promising counter attacks (when the ball was played into the forwards by those "poor" midfielders Hourihane and Bird! 😉) but the forwards didn't make the right decisions on the ball and those attacks petered out (pun intended). I thought Mendez-Laing was particularly guilty of that today, he's my fave so I noticed it! Tired minds rather than tired legs after the hectic schedule? Similarly, players laying the ball off when there wasn't a perfect opportunity to shoot. Just not quite sharp enough in their collective decision making.

Despite this, I thought we more or less deserved the draw for our hard work and persistence,  but again tired minds in the defence, a sloppy moment when we switched off at a quick short corner, and two of our most reliable defenders with an almost intuitive understanding going for the same header for their winner.

Disappointed but not down-hearted; we have a run of winnable games coming up, we have the news that Cashin's contract extension has been triggered and Warne himself says he doesn't want anyone to leave.

About his swearing on Radio Derby, I think it must have been edited out of the second playing just before 6pm, as I never heard it. Of course, I might just have missed it like the ref missed all those fouls on TJJ! 

Good to read a sensible post........those negative hand-wringers and haters of their own players seem to have forgotten the positives of the unbeaten run. OK we made mistakes today but could still have easily avoided losing. Our defending in the last few minutes has proved fragile before.

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree on the 6 points from 9 being satisfactory. But when you are 2-1 up at home with not so much time left on the clock 9 points from 9 is definitely within your grasp. The fact that the P'boro were more dominant is irrelevant at that stage. It's all about game management, and that's were the game was lost. The comedic defending for their third goal just summed it up really. 

Regarding Warne's on air profanities, I heard the original broadcast on RD, but actually didn't believe what I'd heard until Gibson apologised. Hardly shocking in todays society, but pretty sure that's a first for Derby County manager.