Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

Just now, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

It’s probably been mentioned on here but Wilson looked great today. As did Cashin. Their number 14, Randall looks like a proper player and he linked up well with all his teammates. Derby could do with a midfielder like that. 

Wilson looked great for 40 minutes then was a liability for 30 mins 

9 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Is Nyambe not an Improvement ? Wilson as well ? Washington was in good form before his injury, Waghorn as well. Pretty sure we signed Fornah to add some quality to the midfield and for a free transfer, although he has his limitations has shown glimpses of doing that.

Season is 46 games long, ideally all transfers would be an improvement on what you have, but you also need to build a squad, being in the third tier of football makes it difficult to attract proven quality players.

My post was more was about improving on players we have available. I think Warne has improved areas where we previously didn't have a player natural to that position. There's no doubt Niambe is a better option than Smith/Knight  as a RB.

We previously didn't have or need a RWB so Wars and Wilson are obviously improvements in that regard.

I don't think Washington offers us much of anything that would make a difference 

I think Warne's signings in areas we had nothing, are better than the players who inhabited that position but who are no longer here.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Ok, disappointing result in the end but I really enjoyed the game as Peterborough played a lovely style of football and if we are looking to improve then they have some decent looking players.

Peterbourlgh obviously enjoyed playing on our pitch and currently I wouldn’t want to be playing them at Wembley as they were just too quick for most of our lads 

A draw would have been a fairer result in my opinion but it was great game to be at unlike the Wycombe lot a few weeks back 

3 hours ago, jameso said:

Most over-rated since Morgan Whittaker? Maybe one day he'll be playing against us and he'll do something to change your view.

The same Morgan Whittaker that took this season’s tally to 13 in the championship today, think it’s half a dozen assists. 

Players need to be played to their strengths, sometimes they need others around them to compliment their talent. Just wish we didn’t judge youth too quickly, as whilst Cashin is getting plaudits of late, I’d be confident both Bird and Sibley will have good careers ahead of them; with or without us.

Neither are the finished product, exactly like Whittaker, who seems to be getting better with age and understanding of his team mates and manager. 

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

The same Morgan Whittaker that took this season’s tally to 13 in the championship today, think it’s half a dozen assists. 

Players need to be played to their strengths, sometimes they need others around them to compliment their talent. Just wish we didn’t judge youth too quickly, as whilst Cashin is getting plaudits of late, I’d be confident both Bird and Sibley will have good careers ahead of them; with or without us.

Neither are the finished product, exactly like Whittaker, who seems to be getting better with age and understanding of his team mates and manager. 

Think you missed the irony 🤨

5 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Out of interest, did they have loads of different players from when we met earlier in season ? 

Why are some people too lazy to check for themselves? I know, because they rely on mugs like me😀

8 out of their 10 outfield players today also started the earlier game. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Why are some people too lazy to check for themselves? I know, because they rely on mugs like me😀

8 out of their 10 outfield players today also started the earlier game. 

Maybe I was trying to prove a point, that over 180 minutes, maybe our players aren't as bad as some are making out. However must admit I was lazy and didn't know answer so thanks 😊

Went today so can comment with some legitimacy for once. 

In short, I thought we were very average, there’s a top 6 team in there but I think the division being really poor is helping massively. 

Other thoughts - Cashin won’t be here post January, he’s by far the best the player we have and I’d suggest us being held back by the standard around him. 

I thought Peterborough were a solid footballing team and it dawned on me how far we’ve fallen watching them stroke the ball around us likes cones - I remember the Yeovil away goal where the boot was firmly on the t’other foot; sad times. 

With it being a single game sample, I assume we’ve played much better and much worse at times and that over a season we’ll likely do enough to scrape into the playoffs. Not great and certainly done little to change my view on Warne’s style / approach - I don’t much like it. 

Peterborough played well today but I doubt they do that week in week out. Fair play to them. I don’t think Warne did his homework on them based upon having to change things around early on. I thought we made too many basic errors at the back and in midfield and our defending a lead is based upon us clearing the ball to the halfway line and conceding possession. 
We need to learn how to keep the ball and make us look dangerous rather than the standard across the back, back and forwards then a mistake oh we’ve conceded possession.

Edited by Gritstone Ram

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

My only gripe, and maybe its just me, but I thought collectively it was the worst officiating I have seen this season; inconsistent, hesitant and one-sided. The referee allowed Peterborough players to fall over or just stop running and gave them free kicks - the other way round we got nothing. JJ was fouled a few times but, again, nothing. He had no choice but to give the penalty it was that blatant but I was still surprised that he did. And when, on at least two occasions, we don't get free kicks to then signal advantage as if we've been fouling? And don't get me started on the assistants, who were slow in their decision making and didn't seem to have much grip on when a ball is in or out of play. Dreadful.

I totally agree - he reffed each team differently, and he's not the first one to do that. It's that inconsistency that frustrates both players and fans.

2 minutes ago, dantheram said:

Went today so can comment with some legitimacy for once. 

In short, I thought we were very average, there’s a top 6 team in there but I think the division being really poor is helping massively. 

Other thoughts - Cashin won’t be here post January, he’s by far the best the player we have and I’d suggest us being held back by the standard around him. 

I thought Peterborough were a solid footballing team and it dawned on me how far we’ve fallen watching them stroke the ball around us likes cones - I remember the Yeovil away goal where the boot was firmly on the t’other foot; sad times. 

With it being a single game sample, I assume we’ve played much better and much worse at times and that over a season we’ll likely do enough to scrape into the playoffs. Not great and certainly done little to change my view on Warne’s style / approach - I don’t much like it. 

With due respect, if you can only “comment legitimately for once” how have you have managed to form an opinion on Warne’s style/approach up until now?

Today wasn’t our finest game, but every team has an off day so you’re right when you imply a single game is too small a sample size, and we simply came up against a team that played very well today. 

Based on my observations as a season ticket holder, having attended 4 away games and watched a few more on RamsTV I’d say we’re looking good enough to be decent play off contenders (not just scraping in) but probably not good enough for top 2. Having said that though, we all need to have watched most of our opponents games, rather than just highlights or when they’ve played us, in order to draw a true comparison. 

59 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

...but are they the most reliable options because one of Warne's own signings (Fornah) has not yet shown enough signs to prove he should displace one of them, or has that addition  not proved successful because Warne doesn't understand how best to use him?

Similar to LB/LWB, is Elder a better option than Forsyth? Similar to CB, is Bradley a better option than Cashin? Is Washington a better option than Collins?

Why did we sign Fornah? What's his role? Why did we sign Ward and Wilson?  Ward isn't our best RB, he's not out best RW, arguable he's not even  our best RWB.

Has Warne brought in a player yet shows clearly better than whoever they were supposed to replace?

FWIW I think Fornah, Elder, Nelson, Wilson, Ward, Washington, Bradley are all good signings individually, I just don't see how they make us better when we're talking about the team as a whole or it's collective functionality.

Curtis Nelson IMO is better than Curtis Davies (was last season) so the simple answer to your question is ‘Yes’.

12 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Peterborough played well today but I doubt they do that week in week out. Fair play to them. I don’t think Warne did his homework on them based upon having to change things around early on. I thought we made too many basic errors at the back and in midfield and our defending a lead is based upon us clearing the ball to the halfway line and conceding possession. 
We need to learn how to keep the ball and make us look dangerous rather than the standard across the back, back and forwards then a mistake oh we’ve conceded possession.

This is certainly an important part of our development if we're going to improve on holding onto leads. Every player back and hoof to the opposition so they can come at us time and time again is rudimentary. In the end today Peterborough threw so many players forward because they knew what our "strategy" was that they were ripe for the counter attack if we had the courage to leave one or two players forward.