Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

Thought we were poor today and looked a bit leggy, 

On reflection Boro deserved to win and thought they were the best side iv seen this season in L1.

A number of the Boro team you can see playing at a higher level and it amazes me how they keep finding gems and moving them on for big money.

Still think we need a few tweaks in January and hopefully we can strengthen.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Did you see the push too?

No, too far away in melee of players I suppose ? When was it ? In the same incident ? There was another shout during the game that with rose tinted specs looked a pen but in all honesty there’s no way I could see or judge with any integrity

Just now, jono said:

No, too far away in melee of players I suppose ? When was it ? In the same incident ? There was another shout during the game that with rose tinted specs looked a pen but in all honesty there’s no way I could see or judge with any integrity

Cash pushed the defender who handled. About time we were on the right end of a decision mind…

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

Thought the polar opposite tbh, as u say they made the game open up cos of their use of the ball, speed and athleticism … the latter two sibley has none of.

he had zero effect on the game as they were too strong and too quick for him. I stand by my initial thoughts

thought fornah would have been a better fit for those reasons tbh  

You don't need those attributes to influence the game imo, however I agree he had no effect on the game, I can just see why he was chosen for this game to play over Fornah at the time.

20 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

A central midfielder is a central midfielder. All the talk about bird is for the last 2 years is he’s not effective because of the system, he’s playing too deep, he’s playing too further forward, who he’s playing with?

maybe he’s just not that good 

I suspect Bird is a good footballer that plays for a team that has no aspiration to play good football. He would be better off with a possession based team. A bit like Rowett selling Will Hughes. 

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Thought we deserved a point though I agree with most that Peterborough were the better team. Their ability to move the ball quickly, accurately and with purpose only highlighted our inability to do it. Their front players were outstanding. 

My only gripe, and maybe its just me, but I thought collectively it was the worst officiating I have seen this season; inconsistent, hesitant and one-sided. The referee allowed Peterborough players to fall over or just stop running and gave them free kicks - the other way round we got nothing. JJ was fouled a few times but, again, nothing. He had no choice but to give the penalty it was that blatant but I was still surprised that he did. And when, on at least two occasions, we don't get free kicks to then signal advantage as if we've been fouling? And don't get me started on the assistants, who were slow in their decision making and didn't seem to have much grip on when a ball is in or out of play. Dreadful.

My favourite one was when Knight dumped TJJ on his arris, without getting the ball and the ref waved for an advantage…….to Peterborough!

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Cash pushed the defender who handled. About time we were on the right end of a decision mind…

Indeed, 👍🏼. Then again JJ got clattered on the edge of the box, ignored. One of their players kept the ball in play with a hand when he was on the ground, there was a deliberate obstruction when we were attacking and from both teams the usual wrestling matches at every corner. 

Either way .. hand held up high directing the ball from its path, IMO no mitigating circumstances. 

10 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

It will be interesting how that Posh squad looks like by the end of this month with the amount of interest in their players. Today could have been points dropped against a side that could fall by the wayside from February onwards. Either way we were beaten by the better team. Let's get on another win streak on Saturday!

I think Peterborough do well bringing through and recruiting young players, but they also benefit from a lack of pressure.

They can operate as this breeding ground for young, lower league talent because there is little expectation on the club to progress and as a club, they understand their position in the pecking order.

I look at their team today. Mason-Clark, Poku, Jones, Randall, Collins, Burrows, Edwards - all young players that either came through their academy or were picked up as rising talents from clubs lower down the pecking order (Barnet, Orient, Exeter)

I just don’t think we are in a position to take so many risks and allow so many young players to develop all at once because usually there is a premium attached if we target players of a similar ilk.

38 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We all know midfield can be a problem area and Bird and Hourihane are not the long term answer but at the moment, they are our most reliable options.

...but are they the most reliable options because one of Warne's own signings (Fornah) has not yet shown enough signs to prove he should displace one of them, or has that addition  not proved successful because Warne doesn't understand how best to use him?

Similar to LB/LWB, is Elder a better option than Forsyth? Similar to CB, is Bradley a better option than Cashin? Is Washington a better option than Collins?

Why did we sign Fornah? What's his role? Why did we sign Ward and Wilson?  Ward isn't our best RB, he's not out best RW, arguable he's not even  our best RWB.

Has Warne brought in a player yet shows clearly better than whoever they were supposed to replace?

FWIW I think Fornah, Elder, Nelson, Wilson, Ward, Washington, Bradley are all good signings individually, I just don't see how they make us better when we're talking about the team as a whole or it's collective functionality.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

8 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I suspect Bird is a good footballer that plays for a team that has no aspiration to play good football. He would be better off with a possession based team. A bit like Rowett selling Will Hughes. 

Not sure I agree. Warne appreciates Birds abilities but hasn’t yet found the best way to use them. I never understood why Rowett seemed anti Hughes but maybe it was a money thing 

Bird didn’t have a good game today but he is certainly good footballer. There aren’t enough in our team that have the vision to compliment his skills. I would like to see Fornah a bit more often. He is instinctive with good feet and might suit Bird better in the middle

6 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

...but are they the most reliable options because one of Warne's own signings (Fornah) has not yet shown enough signs to prove he should displace one of them, or has that addition  not proved successful because Warne doesn't understand how best to use him?

Similar to LB/LWB, is Elder a better option than Forsyth? Similar to CB, is Bradley a better option than Cashin? Is Washington a better option than Collins?

Why did we sign Fornah? What's his role? Why did we sign Ward and Wilson?  Ward isn't our best RB, he's not out best RW, arguable he's not even  our best RWB.

Has Warne brought in a player yet shows clearly better than whoever they were supposed to replace?

FWIW I think Fornah, Elder, Nelson, Wilson, Ward, Washington, Bradley are all good signings individually, I just don't see how they make us better when we're talking about the team as a whole or it's collective functionality.

Just to answer one of your questions I don't think he set out to sign Wilson having already signed Ward, but the opportunity arose to take him as part of the Knight deal and it was a chance to get a player he had admired for a while 'into the building'. And than goodness he did. Ward is meh but Wilson is special

Well that was a terrific football match against one of the best teams to come here for years and we got off to a flier! 

Peterborough may have very quick players and may be great going forwards, but they struggle against the press. And from kick off we pressed them and scored. Then we stopped pressing! Probably deliberate - with the age if the squad and 3 matches in no time at all we didn’t have the legs to do what we did at Oxford.

Kudos to Paul Warne for changing things early on, and for the earlier than usual substitutions, both things he wouldn’t have done not too long ago!

In the end the best team won, but whether they should have done is another issue altogether. And they were ably assisted by their 12th man and his assistants. Yes DavesaRam has git his old drum out and is going to give it a right good banging. Although Vulcan Ram and Jono started it! 

The penalty incident gas been well covered, and given the ease with which Derby players get yellow carded how that wasn’t a second yellow I have no idea. But there were two other penalty shouts in that second half which haven’t had a mention. John Jules was pulled back on the 6 yard box with nothing given, and soon after Thommo was on the floor in the box, and got up to run to the loose ball and was tripped back to the ground and again nothing given. Although things have eased, I was actually surprised that the ref gave the first penalty, given his skewed approach to fairness. 

In addition both Wilson and John Jules were shoved to the ground from behind quite heavily and the ref waved “advantage” to the Peterborough man in possession. How can you give advantage to the offending player? And late on John Jules (again) was clearly blocked off just outside the area with nothing given, and we were defending another attack. There was plenty more of his lop-sided approach to justice, so yes this episode of poor refereeing did have an effect on the scoreline. But if we can’t defend simple high crosses, we can’t really complain.

In the end we will have to get over this, use the week off to reset and go again. Although we lost we played a lot better then we were before the good run started so we have improved quite dramatically. And credit to Paul and his staff for enabling that improvement. And there are still more than 20 games to go.

It’s still on, you Rams. We can still do this.

Come On You Rams!

4 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Just to answer one of your questions I don't think he set out to sign Wilson having already signed Ward, but the opportunity arose to take him as part of the Knight deal and it was a chance to get a player he had admired for a while 'into the building'. And than goodness he did. Ward is meh but Wilson is special

I agree with you, it (Wilson)  was too good an opportunity to turn down.

I think of Ward as the modern day Ben Davies. Obviously talented and a brilliant crosser,.but you do have to carry him somewhat and he will never ever ever even be a RB.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

5 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Is Nyambe not an Improvement ? Wilson as well ? Washington was in good form before his injury, Waghorn as well. Pretty sure we signed Fornah to add some quality to the midfield and for a free transfer, although he has his limitations has shown glimpses of doing that.

Season is 46 games long, ideally all transfers would be an improvement on what you have, but you also need to build a squad, being in the third tier of football makes it difficult to attract proven quality players.

I thought we were played off the park today by the best team I’ve seen at PP this season. They were sharper, brighter and pulled us all over the place. We looked like the away team for large chunks of the match so no complaints from me, other than we should have stopped sitting deep and inviting them on to us in that last 10 minutes; we might have got a point otherwise.
Need to go and smash Fleetwood now and get back on track. 

Edited by Jayram