Tiresome Oneupmanship

Ian Buxton's Bat

11 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I get where you’re coming from Mr Bat, but,  I find the vast majority on here are “sound as a pound”.

I watched Ian Buxton play for Derby County & Derbyshire.…wish I was “middle aged” 👍🐏

“….from Mr Bat..” That’s the bit where I snorted my wine through my nose …😲

On 12/11/2023 at 08:45, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Over 9 years ago I took my lad to his first away game. Charlton, midweek in the 6 weeks holidays. 

A game I’ll never forget. He was only 5 at the time. I could see that as soon as we walked into the ground, he might struggle with just how loud it was. We got to our seat and the game just about to kick off and everybody standing. He was only 4 foot tall so I told him to stand on his seat. He still couldn’t see properly but at least it was better. The next minute, a friendly face appeared offering us both a sweet, unbeknown to me at the time it was B4 - my lad then fell down the back of his seat hurting both his legs. B4 was straight there making sure he was OK and for the next 90 minutes made regular check ins with him to see if he was OK and reassuring him not all games are like that. 

At HT we spoke at length and swapped user ID’s on dcfcfans. The next day I received the below message direct from Daniel. It epitomises everything about the guy and from that moment, he’s always held a special place in my heart and always will do. Not many like him but I’m so glad our paths crossed that night. 

RIP buddy, DCFC won’t be the same place without you. 💙💙

IMG_6207.png

We can all be better posters, better people, on here if we choose to be.

As @Comrade 86put it earlier - be more B4.

It looks like I struck a chord with the opening post and I'm very pleasantly surprised that it kicked of a bit of an 'Arguers Anonymous' therapy session, with several posters being honest and contrite enough to hold their hands up and admit to getting drawn into personal spats.

On the evidence of this thread, most of the members of Arguers Anonymous are not your archetypal keyboard warrior but seem like Rams-mad, articulate, intelligent people who on occasions let themselves go a bit too far. It gives me hope it can become largely self-regulating.

I don't want to leave the forum and I'm reluctant to use 'ignore' as many of the things that irk me are good points made in a poor way - but I'd like it to be a bit more footy focused and a bit more civil and I sort of get the impression that several self-confessed arguers would like the same - without losing the core element of the forum........opinions, debate, humour and camaraderie.

I don't understand computer coding so no idea if I'm asking for a 2 minute fix or 2 years of hard work but could we add something like B4's panda profile pick to the emoji list so that anyone can, very politely, give a bit of a 'could you have made your (often completely valid) point in a less provocative way' nudge?.......i.e. be a bit more B4

28 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

It looks like I struck a chord with the opening post and I'm very pleasantly surprised that it kicked of a bit of an 'Arguers Anonymous' therapy session, with several posters being honest and contrite enough to hold their hands up and admit to getting drawn into personal spats.

On the evidence of this thread, most of the members of Arguers Anonymous are not your archetypal keyboard warrior but seem like Rams-mad, articulate, intelligent people who on occasions let themselves go a bit too far. It gives me hope it can become largely self-regulating.

I don't want to leave the forum and I'm reluctant to use 'ignore' as many of the things that irk me are good points made in a poor way - but I'd like it to be a bit more footy focused and a bit more civil and I sort of get the impression that several self-confessed arguers would like the same - without losing the core element of the forum........opinions, debate, humour and camaraderie.

I don't understand computer coding so no idea if I'm asking for a 2 minute fix or 2 years of hard work but could we add something like B4's panda profile pick to the emoji list so that anyone can, very politely, give a bit of a 'could you have made your (often completely valid) point in a less provocative way' nudge?.......i.e. be a bit more B4

I think mostly it's good humoured on here and people step back from the precipice when they need to, not always! I think the worst thing is the same old repeated points and point scoring back and forth but if you really look at it, there are a minority of posters on different sides of the argument who are 'guilty' of this. It's annoying and negative but if you skip past the times when it degenerates into that kind of pettiness, the forum is a really funny, generous place full of decent folk from many walks is life who have the Rams in common. 

I like the idea of the B4 emoji but think we have to be careful that we don't accidentally cause angst by using it as another tool to point score. For me 'be more B4' is about challenging ourselves to pause for a couple of moments and think about whether a different and more positive outlook might shift one's own mindset and in doing so encourage others do do the same. His positivity was infectious and if we all took that outlook into our core just a tiny bit, it would change the atmosphere when things start to get negative.

I think it's a really important OP and fair play for raising it as lots of us think it and disengage from some thing we enjoy when threads descend into tired old squabbles. We are all on the same side at the end of the day, we should remember that.

13 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

I like the idea of the B4 emoji but think we have to be careful that we don't accidentally cause angst by using it as another tool to point score. For me 'be more B4' is about challenging ourselves to pause for a couple of moments and think about whether a different and more positive outlook might shift one's own mindset and in doing so encourage others do do the same. His positivity was infectious and if we all took that outlook into our core just a tiny bit, it would change the atmosphere when things start to get negative.

We already have these two emojis that could be used as a general reminder 🅱️4️⃣

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

We already have these two emojis that could be used as a general reminder 🅱️4️⃣

I think he meant post-reactions.

@Davidcan change them whenever. I'd like an eye roll, but know why that got removed. But I'm sure it's a quick job to add the Panda 🐼

1 hour ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Fantastic idea. 🐼 #BmoreB4

I'd be slightly wary using B4's name for what could be seen as weaponised virtue signalling could backfire. Any kind of antagonistic react emote is capable of causing resentment, do we want B4's name and legacy attached to something that will stir negative emotions in some when used against them? Just a thought.

Replacing the Ram symbol for the 'COYR' react on the other hand...

2 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

The daft thing is, if you stuck everyone in a pub, I'm pretty sure it'd be all smiles and everyone would get on like a house on fire.

It's damn near impossible to articulate what you are trying to say exactly on an internet forum and so much gets misinterpreted and lost in translation and then arguments occur when the individuals actually likely agree.

14 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

The daft thing is, if you stuck everyone in a pub, I'm pretty sure it'd be all smiles and everyone would get on like a house on fire.

It's damn near impossible to articulate what you are trying to say exactly on an internet forum and so much gets misinterpreted and lost in translation and then arguments occur when the individuals actually likely agree.

ezgif.com-resize (3).gif

I have alway considered this forum to be quite moderate and well behaved, I belong to a number of American technical forums and the threads normaly decline into personal abuse after a dozen posts or so, I think thats mainly because people interpret the numbers differently and many of the posters are grumpy old gits and have time on their hands...... like me 😃  

Once you start down the heavy moderation road its diffcult to know where to draw the line, leave the forum as it is.

The problem with written comunication is it lacks all the cues of face to face comunication and people simply get the wrong end of the stick or feel slighted by a remark that was meant as a joke.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

I have never understood why people get so wound up over words on a forum!

I sit and read some stuff and agree,  some I disagree with, some I'll post a reply to and most I don't bother replying to. But I don't ever remember using the ignore button if I do thing certain posters are prats.

I don't always expect my posts to be agreed with and a good percentage shouldn't be taken seriously or even read at all. 

4 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Are you saying we are argumentative? Are you, ARE YOU?

Are you saying we  just come on here for a fight? do you, DO YOU?

Well if you want to make something of it, there is a bike shed outside.   😀

Seriously, I agree with you (except when I don't)

On 07/12/2023 at 15:21, ossieram said:

I read garbage like this and seriously wonder if the poster is on a wind up or drugs.

This post of yours is on the first page of one of the other more popular threads currently going!

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I have never understood why people get so wound up over words on a forum!

I sit and read some stuff and agree,  some I disagree with, some I'll post a reply to and most I don't bother replying to. But I don't ever remember using the ignore button if I do thing certain posters are prats.

I don't always expect my posts to be agreed with and a good percentage shouldn't be taken seriously or even read at all. 

The point I'm trying to make with the other quote above is that I think we can all be guilty of this at times, or at least coming across like this. Maybe it's less about how wound up posters are getting and more about how what we're typing might be perceived?

If more people read what they have typed out on here and asked themselves "hmm I wonder how this is going to come across for the person I'm sending it to" before pressing the Submit Reply button, then the forum would probably be a less-argumentative place.

I have definitely noticed a ramping up of the intensity since probably COVID. Not sure why. The whole world seems to have gone the same way.