Poppygate

Bwash_Ram

The match is Derby’s closest home match in advance of Remembrance Sunday, which this year falls on 12th November, while the game itself falls on Armistice Day.

Ahead of kick-off on Saturday, those in attendance will be asked to observe the playing of the Last Post while wreaths will also be laid on the Pride Park pitch in the lead-up to the match getting underway by club officials.

Earlier in the day, a small service will be held by Club Chaplain Tony Luke at 11am at the War Memorial Plaque outside the Lionel Pickering Entrance and supporters are welcome to attend if they wish. This will include a two-minute silence to show respect and gratitude to the armed forces past and present who have lost their lives fighting for their country.

A collection will also be staged both outside and inside the ground should supporters wish to make a donation to the Royal British Legion.

All of Derby’s players will wear poppy armbands for the fixture, as well as members of the coaching staff.

The annual Remembrance Fixture is one of the key dates in the club’s calendar and in 2014 the specially commissioned War Memorial Plaque was erected next to the Lionel Pickering Entrance at Pride Park Stadium.

The Plaque bears the names of six former players of the club who sadly died in the First World War, whilst also remembering the many others with Derby County connections who answered the call to serve King and Country in two World Wars.

As part of the Remembrance activities in 2018, trees were planted at the club’s Moor Farm Training Centre to serve as living legacies to the hundreds of footballers who served and fell in the First World War.

We Will Remember Them.

But yeah, we all know the real reason.

Football fans can be thick as f*** sometimes.

Editing for clarity, I mean those on twatter who think this is some kind of agenda. The club are doing plenty.

Perhaps allowing everyone to quietly remember and pay respect in their own way is going out of fashion. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Edited by oodledoodle

Firstly, why should Derby accommodate this?

I’m not sure that something like this is necessary. It’s nothing to do with football, so why are people trying to introduce it en masse?

In the same manner that if someone wanted to do an equivalent for, say, Palestine, I imagine these same people would be suggesting that wasn’t acceptable.

If you want to show your support, wear a poppy.

If you don’t wish to then you don’t have to.

And most importantly, be respectful of each other’s personal views - just because people have a different outlook to you, it doesn’t mean you have to attack them - everything is so polarised nowadays, it’s exhausting.

7 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Reading some of the comments on X (Twitter) with regards to the club banning the above display because of Health and Safety (slip hazard on plastic)…. Some say “We all know the actual reason why…” and then when asked what that would be, don't reply. Reflective off divisive culture wars going on at the moment. 

The poppy has been used as a weapon for quite a while

4 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Firstly, why should Derby accommodate this?

I’m not sure that something like this is necessary. It’s nothing to do with football, so why are people trying to introduce it en masse?

In the same manner that if someone wanted to do an equivalent for, say, Palestine, I imagine these same people would be suggesting that wasn’t acceptable.

If you want to show your support, wear a poppy.

If you don’t wish to then you don’t have to.

And most importantly, be respectful of each other’s personal views - just because people have a different outlook to you, it doesn’t mean you have to attack them - everything is so polarised nowadays, it’s exhausting.

What an idiotic statement!! Nothing to do with football but why will every ground including non league and even park football show there respect today and tomorrow  ??

Some young men never got the chance to play football and today is about respecting them !! Don't bring palestine into it as today is all about those who bravely lost there lives!!! 

3 minutes ago, S8TY said:Some young men never got the chance to play football and today is about respecting them !! Don't bring palestine into it as today is all about those who bravely lost their lives!!! 

I agree with your view that it is a national day of mourning, and we show our respects for those who have lost their lives in war.  We do that through 2 minutes of silence.

Are you saying we shouldn’t mourn dead innocents from Palestine, who are also victims of war?

(And I don’t mean Hamas - their actions should be rightly condemned and may all who commit atrocities be brought to justice)

I'm a big poppy fan myself... but never been keen on forcing it on folk.

As it stands, the whole on-pitch Last Post, uniformed Ram Mascot, Ranked soldiers, silent reflection etc can be ignored by those who don't agree. 
Not so easy to ignore if one of those poppy petals are on your seat... and a dead cert to be booed (or worse) if you don't hold it aloft!  It's unfair to force this on folk in these seats, as disappointing as it is for me to write that! 

Yeah, I'd have loved to have seen it, and much respect to those that tried to organise it, but it wasn't the wisest move by the club/SLO to have agreed to it in the first place.
Those of us that do like to display the poppy will already be doing so.  That in itself should be enough.

il_fullxfull.2081883704_a1gx.jpg

xxx

Edited by Mucker1884

59 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The poppy has been used as a weapon for quite a while

As an ex-serviceman the discord over it in recent weeks and even years disgusts me. So many people that I find truly repulsive attempting to hijack the cause for their own gain, to the point where I've totally disconnected from it all.

22 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As an ex-serviceman the discord over it in recent weeks and even years disgusts me. So many people that I find truly repulsive attempting to hijack the cause for their own gain, to the point where I've totally disconnected from it all.

This stopped me wearing one for a while (always still chucked a couple of quid in the donation tin but never took the poppy). Sick of seeing tw4ts like Tommy Robinson and his thick followers hiJack something beautiful for their own means. 

… but then I went and visited the battlefields in France and Belgium. The cemeteries, the monuments and heard from survivors. Made me realise we need to wrestle back the poppy from the likes of Robinson and those EDL mugs. 

Don’t agree with forcing it on the whole crowd though. Imagine being a derby fan who flies in from Derry each match to find you’re smack bang in the middle of a poppy. Particularly if you’re old enough to remember the early 70s. 

It is possible it's a health and safety issue not because of any actual hazard but because of paperwork non-compliance (risk assessment etc) putting the club at a potential liability. It's stupid, but possible.

Either way, it's important to remember the lost, to mourn for those who will not grow old. I personally don't like the big displays about it, but I don't think those organising this had anything but the right motives.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm a big poppy fan myself... but never been keen on forcing it on folk.

As it stands, the whole on-pitch Last Post, uniformed Ram Mascot, Ranked soldiers, silent reflection etc can be ignored by those who don't agree. 
Not so easy to ignore if one of those poppy petals are on your seat... and a dead cert to be booed (or worse) if you don't hold it aloft!  It's unfair to force this on folk in these seats, as disappointing as it is for me to write that! 

Yeah, I'd have loved to have seen it, and much respect to those that tried to organise it, but it wasn't the wisest move by the club/SLO to have agreed to it in the first place.
Those of us that do like to display the poppy will already be doing so.  That in itself should be enough.

il_fullxfull.2081883704_a1gx.jpg

xxx

Totally agree with what you've put here. It's an entirely reasonable take on it, and exactly what the poppy is meant to be about. I think it holds much, much more weight and significance when people participate by choice, rather than being pressured into it.

Thoughts today are with everyone, like myself, who have lost loved ones to conflict. The problems in Palestine just go to show how little we've learned as a species. What a shame.

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Ex-Navy here. Me too - I haven’t worn a poppy in years and the current climate in which Remembrance Day is used to evoke some sense of blind nationalism, whilst our government aids the bombing of civilians in other countries, has reinforced my commitment to never wear one again.

That said - if you do, fair enough. Displays like this always feel fairly crass to me but I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t have been allowed to go ahead. 

Hope Rammie will be wearing his poppy to make up for it. #respect.