Poppygate

Bwash_Ram

Never served, always donate to the Appeal via the Neppy. I remember on my first visit to the Netherlands aged 21 or 22. Visited the War Cemetery in Arnhem. Seeing the ages of the fallen brought tears to my eyes. They were almost all younger than I was and had made the ultimate sacrifice. I, for one, will never forget them nor the sacrifice they made. 

I would dearly love to see everybody in their seats a good while prior to kick off today and to appreciate the ceremonial happenings. That last pre match beer/cola/pie/burger.... that can be taken a little earlier than usual. IMO, not being in your place by 10 to 3 today would be showing total disrespect to the fallen.

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As an ex-serviceman the discord over it in recent weeks and even years disgusts me. So many people that I find truly repulsive attempting to hijack the cause for their own gain, to the point where I've totally disconnected from it all.

As an fellow veteran you reflect my feelings perfectly.

How it should be done.

The 2023-24 Vitesse Airborne shirt is dedicated to the landmark ‘Windows on the Past’ on the Ginkelse Heide near Ede. It is made up of claret and blue stripes with lines claret coloured lines running through the blue stripes representing the threads of the parachutes and the lines of gunshots fired at the paratroopers.

IMG_1336.thumb.jpeg.d7fdeffe9265973234a17df12e7a7033.jpeg

Vitesse stadium

spacer.png

14 hours ago, enachops said:

It is pretty pathetic blaming it on health and safety though. A slip hazard apparently, especially when granted permission. I’m not one of those ‘we all know the real reason’ by the way. It’s just pretty lame and a sad reflection of health and safety gone mad. 

Shame, can't imagine we will be seeing any little Derby flags draped on the seats anymore, now they really are a slip hazard.

3 hours ago, Srg said:

My grandad fought for the right for health and safety officers to be able to enforce regulations. 

My grandad also served, but because he refused to bear arms he was in the medical corps.

He always said to me that the "land fit for heroes" stuff was utter nonsense and most people he knew joined up purely because their peacetime occupations were decimated so they had to earn...

5 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Shame, can't imagine we will be seeing any little Derby flags draped on the seats anymore, now they really are a slip hazard.

That was one of my first thoughts, in all honesty.  👍

If we do get them, I'd be very tempted to "slip on them", and put in a claim!  The only thing putting me off is that I'd be suing my Beloved Derby County.  Not sure my principles run that strongly!
Had it been Sainsburys, B&M, Tesco, or any other similar place, I wouldn't be so put off!  👀

Edited by Mucker1884

22 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Reading some of the comments on X (Twitter) with regards to the club banning the above display because of Health and Safety (slip hazard on plastic)…. Some say “We all know the actual reason why…” and then when asked what that would be, don't reply. Reflective off divisive culture wars going on at the moment. 

Welcome to Tory divide and conquer UK. Stir it up, stit back and watch the carnage.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Vitesse always do a grand job on their closest match to Armistice Day. 

Netherlands are still so grateful and proud of the allies, for liberating them, sadly our own country do not share the same vibes.

Lest we forget the poppy appeal is to raise funds for ex servicemen and women, who are in need of help, and there are many, if you do not wish to wear a poppy, please put a donation into the tin.

When was the last time England played in red and white the flag colours, this is a total disgrace.

Yes i am an ex serviceman and proud of the flag and country.

I really like the poppy and what it actually represents, but I choose not to wear one because of how it's utilised by far right nationalists.
I doubt the club took down the display for any reason other than health and safety, but if they did happen to take it down for a different reason then surely that's their own prerogative and shouldn't have to face any kind of backlash?

On 11/11/2023 at 06:34, AndyinLiverpool said:

The poppy has been used as a weapon for quite a while

And it's the reason I don't wear one. Fully supportive of Remembrance Day, minute silence etc but the warriors who get so upset and angry if you don't wear one annoyed me to such an extent a few years ago with their virtue signalling that I just stopped out of principle.

On 11/11/2023 at 11:05, MadAmster said:

Never served, always donate to the Appeal via the Neppy. I remember on my first visit to the Netherlands aged 21 or 22. Visited the War Cemetery in Arnhem. Seeing the ages of the fallen brought tears to my eyes. They were almost all younger than I was and had made the ultimate sacrifice. I, for one, will never forget them nor the sacrifice they made. 

I would dearly love to see everybody in their seats a good while prior to kick off today and to appreciate the ceremonial happenings. That last pre match beer/cola/pie/burger.... that can be taken a little earlier than usual. IMO, not being in your place by 10 to 3 today would be showing total disrespect to the fallen.

Why, what happened at ten to 3?