At least we still have a club.......yeah but...

IslandExile

8 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

We are derby county, but we have no divine right to anything,

We’re taking our medicine, serving our time for what happened /nearly happened previous.

We will get better , we will flourish again but like any kind of rehabilitation it takes time and wont happen over night 

some fans need to realise this 

Yes, we have to accept that it will take time. Success might not come under Warne or possibly even Clowes, but we have to hope that at some point there will be something that ignites a spark for the clubs resurrection to begin. Look at Luton Town and Coventry City, both had to come back from dark places but have really achieved something in the past few seasons. Our club just needs to find that winning formula at some point. 

Edited by europia

When we survived going out out existence by the skin of our teeth. The were fans stating we must never get in this situation again. Pointing at a club like Brentford for how we should be run. I'm sure they and other clubs like them didn't start their climb up the league by playing attractive expansive football. They adapted their style as the progressed through the ranks. Are Luton still playing the same way they did in the National league now they are in the Prem?

We all want to watch the Rams play open attractive football. Can we achieve this at the moment no. 

Can we achieve it in the future, hopefully yes. But it won't happen instantly and we all need to be patient.

I'll assume that once the EFL restrictions are lifted. Warne will be able to bring in the type of player,  he'd like to bring in now, if he had the financial capabilities.

Hopefully while Warne is operating under the EFL restrictions he's been able to start assembling some of the players he thinks he'll need to get us out of this division.

If not and he as to assemble an entirely new squad, so be it. But which ever way the rebuilding happens, it won't happen over and as I've already said, we'll need to be patient

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

No it doesn't. If most clubs in this league haven't paid a fee it shows you can get players in at this level without a large initial outlay. But as I said who paid how much?

As I've already said I haven't a clue, I've  not followed it.  If you knoe the answer please enlighten me... 🤔

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Rosenior leaving also ended another link to the Mel era. Rightly or wrongly Rosenior’s flaws such as the away games etc. could be held against his time here as 1st team coach under Cocu and Rooney, neither of which were a success. Maybe not fair to link others shortcomings against his, but PW coming in was a clean slate.

Warne was a great appointment at the time. Now it’s looking like a mistake, but every appointment is a risk. If PW was to go then I wouldn’t like to say who a good appointment would be. 

Agreed, but I find solace in that managing Derby in League One is a comfortable job, even for a coach getting their first job in management. Ipswich did - they took a good coach and gave him his first job in football. 

Someone like Justin Coachrane, possibly even John Terry. The best two managers we’ve had since Steve McClaren has been Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney. Not necessarily due to results but the feeling around the club - which is arguably more important. I don’t feel past successes at another club translate well in football management.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

When we survived going out out existence by the skin of our teeth. The were fans stating we must never get in this situation again. Pointing at a club like Brentford for how we should be run. I'm sure they and other clubs like them didn't start their climb up the league by playing attractive expansive football. They adapted their style as the progressed through the ranks. Are Luton still playing the same way they did in the National league now they are in the Prem?

We all want to watch the Rams play open attractive football. Can we achieve this at the moment no. 

Can we achieve it in the future, hopefully yes. But it won't happen instantly and we all need to be patient.

I'll assume that once the EFL restrictions are lifted. Warne will be able to bring in the type of player,  he'd like to bring in now, if he had the financial capabilities.

Hopefully while Warne is operating under the EFL restrictions he's been able to start assembling some of the players he thinks he'll need to get us out of this division.

If not and he as to assemble an entirely new squad, so be it. But which ever way the rebuilding happens, it won't happen over and as I've already said, we'll need to be patient

Can you tell us what style of football Warne is trying to build at Derby and  explain how his signings reflect that plan?

1 minute ago, sage said:

Can you tell us what style of football Warne is trying to build at Derby and  explain how his signings reflect that plan?

I think Warne thought that he could come here, implement the tactics and game plans used at Rotherham, with better players and it would be a doddle.

Only problem is, he has struggled to recruit suitable players in 2 windows now.

David McGoldrick and Haydon Roberts had both seen enough and weren't persuaded to stay..

Like a pilot who has flown little cesena airplanes for years and stepping into a bigger a380 airbus and assuming if he applies what he has learnt but with a bigger and better plane he will be able to fly it. 

Warne won't be here next season, I think that much has been clear for a long time now, to me at least, because next year's recruitment will be massive for the club, I can't see Clowes giving Warne another 2 windows.

31 minutes ago, sage said:

Nope. 

While we won't know the final look of the squad, that Warne will be able to assemble once free from EFL restrictions. It will probably be a good bet that it won't be a free flowing and passing style of football. But hopefully it'll have a style good enough to get us out of this division.

Which if I'm not mistaken is what Warne as been tasked with achieving and what every fan wants to see. Regardless of the style of football played

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think Warne thought that he could come here, implement the tactics and game plans used at Rotherham, with better players and it would be a doddle.

David McGoldrick and Haydon Roberts had both seen enough and weren't persuaded to stay..

Like a pilot who has flown little cesena airplanes for years and stepping into a bigger a380 airbus and assuming if he applies what he has learnt but with a bigger and better plane he will be able to fly it. 

Warne won't be here next season, I think that much has been clear for a long time now, to me at least, because next year's recruitment will be massive for the club, I can't see Clowes giving Warne another 2 windows.

"David McGoldrick and Haydon Roberts had both seen enough and weren't persuaded to stay."

McGoldrick has chosen to return to his first club and Roberts to sign for a club at a higher level and your comment "seen enough" has no evidence to support it. 

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Pretty sure Brentford were renowned for playing good football in league 1. 

Not sure what these threads achieve tbh. Atm Warne is in absolutely no danger of being sacked and likely won't be unless we have a severe downturn in form or finish outside the playoffs by the end of the season. We're going around in circles, and we end up having the same conversation. Some think Warne is too tactically limited and is making real errors (I sit in this camp); others feel it's too early to judge the tactical system. Others doubt his ability to manage a club this size, with him being more suited to a smaller environment where he can more closely manage the club and team in sync with one another. Ultimately time will tell who is right.

Clowes represents a very different type of owner to Mel, which is a good thing. I disagreed at the time with getting rid of Rosenior but I can understand the temptation to get Warne at the time. Warne is on a 4-year deal, and because of that, we've locked ourselves in. 

8 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Agreed , I can’t see Warne getting many more transfer windows like the 2 he has had . David Clowes is a rookie owner and he will have learnt that the last day of the window is a “Bear Pit”. It all went wrong for Cashin and DCFC by cutting it too fine .

9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Sorry to burst your anti Warne bubble but Didzy and Roberts left us for rather different reasons than Warnes management and tactics

On 03/09/2023 at 09:02, IslandExile said:

But we are Derby County. The football should be, must be, ought to be better 🐏

Not read the rest of this thread, but this statement is what I absolutely despise about our fanbase.

We have no right to play better football than any other team in the league and we absolutely have no divine right to do anything. Until fans and the club realise that, and match the passion, energy, intensity and will of other teams, we are going to be stuck here.

If you're turning up to games because of some calculation you've made in your head which says "we're Derby, so we're beating these" then you're going to be sorely mistaken. What we did 5 years ago doesn't matter, what we did 20 years ago doesn't matter, and what we did 50 years ago certainly does not matter.

Edited by Srg

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

If you're turning up to games because of some calculation you've made in your head which says "we're Derby, so we're beating these" then you're going to be sorely mistaken. What we did 5 years ago doesn't matter, what we did 20 years ago doesn't matter, and what we did 50 years ago certainly does not matter.

It's not that, it's that we should be beating these teams based on budget. Restrictions or not, we still have a top 6 (if not, higher) budget in comparison to the rest of the league and we will be right up there in wages too. We should be up there and beating these smaller teams. Our academy budget is likely more than some of the teams in the league. 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Agreed , I can’t see Warne getting many more transfer windows like the 2 he has had . David Clowes is a rookie owner and he will have learnt that the last day of the window is a “Bear Pit”. It all went wrong for Cashin and DCFC by cutting it too fine .

It all went wrong for Cashin (et al) and DCFC by Warne failing to achieve what he was signed to do, last season. Then we wouldn't necessarily be talking about still selling our youngsters for peanuts (including Knighty!).

I think what frustrates me personally is when you think back to the Fleetwood game. There was a move just before Waggy's goal where we played some fantastic crisp one-touch passing football and went quickly from our own penalty area the theirs, leaving Fleetwood chasing shadows. The crowd really responded and it showed that this squad, for all its shortcomings, can play some high quality football. So why do we not do that more often, and why did the players choose to do it at that moment but rarely again ?

The thing that frustrates me is under this ownership we have to face reality that we are a trading club who have to wheel and deal. Yet this summer we have got in players with no upscale value and warne says about the legs in the team but recruited a team with no legs. 6 games in and the team look knackered already 

4 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

I think what frustrates me personally is when you think back to the Fleetwood game. There was a move just before Waggy's goal where we played some fantastic crisp one-touch passing football and went quickly from our own penalty area the theirs, leaving Fleetwood chasing shadows. The crowd really responded and it showed that this squad, for all its shortcomings, can play some high quality football. So why do we not do that more often, and why did the players choose to do it at that moment but rarely again ?

My tuppence worth, and I thought this for a lot of the good run last season too, was that if you put a bunch of good players on the pitch together, then they are going end up putting some good patches of football together, regardless of what the manager is telling them.  Good players will take up good positions, and other good players will play good passes to them etc, just by nature of them being good players.

Where it falls down for us, is I don't think we're setting up to encourage that to happen.  We're more interested in getting the ball out wide quickly to get crosses in, or getting it forward quickly for people to run onto, than actually getting balls into players feet.  So when it does happen, it's almost by random, not by design.