At least we still have a club.......yeah but...

IslandExile

27 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Our emphasis on crossing worries me, as from what I've read, therefore it must be correct, crossing the ball may look good and intuitively appear to almost end in the net, but actually it isn't a great method of trying to score.

https://soccerment.com/crossing-effective-strategy/

“We calculate that only 1 every 64 crosses is directly translated into a goal. Is it worth trying? We conclude it is not.”

That’s us f#cked. 🤔

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

You could argue Mac made many of those players play beyond themselves. I can't think of any really that went on to perform better elsewhere afterwards. Hendrick and Hughes played in the Prem, but haven't done that much. Hughes seems to have morphed into a run-of-the-mill CDM. 

In fairness, Warne did leave Rotherham when they were 8th/9th in the table. No one expected him to play amazing football here, but if it got us promoted then its acceptable. I just can't get over what he's done to the team this season. I thought he would build on the 4-2-3-1 of last season, but this 3-5-2 he's played this season has been perhaps the worst football I've ever seen Derby play (not including 07/08), and it's not even been affective. Our players are better than that. Maybe the injuries have forced him to change it, but what would happen to all the wings-backs and strikers he's signed?

i thought we were rebuilding for the future though. What use would it be to sign all these warne players then as soon as we get to the championship we are useless. Seems incredibly short sighted. 

52 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

i thought we were rebuilding for the future though. What use would it be to sign all these warne players then as soon as we get to the championship we are useless. Seems incredibly short sighted. 

Got to wonder whether DC thought Warne would get us up last season, and then the established Championship Club might need different players? Although Warne's insistence that the players he signs are wanting to play in the Championship would suggest otherwise.

TBH who TF knows what's going on recruitment- and managerial-wise?! 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We will also need to hope Waghorn continues to score a few unexpected goals too. The truth is, we are roughly where we deserve to be and need to make changes to improve on out situation. Other than from set pieces, we don't look like scoring.

As I said - it’s too early to judge. Just adding some balance for those that think our season is already over 

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

I think you're underestimating how important and difficult it is to just get out this league. 

Didn't you say earlier that the whole squad except 2 were capable of playing in the Champ?

10 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

our fans seems to think we're barcelona. fact is we're league one and league one standard. its a tough league. i think we'll be up there come end of the season. with a fit squad and a bit of confidence and hopefully a dif formation i think future is bright 

Other teams in our league, league one, aren't Barcelona either but they can pass it around more and play better football than us.

5 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

our fans seems to think we're barcelona. fact is we're league one and league one standard. its a tough league. i think we'll be up there come end of the season. with a fit squad and a bit of confidence and hopefully a dif formation i think future is bright 

Come on, League one is a tough league for maybe Cheltenham and Burton. We have managed to win as many as we have lost by more or less just turn up with eleven men from our squad at the first 6 games. During these games, a lot against teams that will end up around top 6, we have shot ourselves in the foot on numerous occations. We have also passed the ball to the opposition more than they have passed it to us and mostly we have passed fewer passes overall than the opposition which to me looks like we have no clear idea of what we want the ball for other than get some sort of set piece. 

But I agree, we will end up in top 6 because everything less than that in this mediocre league would need us to keep shooting ourselves in the foot even more regular than we have done so far. And it can't be so much left of the foot to hit anymore. We would also need more crazy ref's and gift the ball to the opposition as often as we have done so far. 

Ironically I think our best game so far was against Wigan. Could we find our way back to that we would be top 2 contenders. And even that game was a bit up-and-down to be honest. We should do much better from now on. Everything else would be a surprise.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pretty much everyone except for the technically limited sides - Stevenage, Burton, Cambridge, Wycombe and Shrewsbury.

Even Leyton Orient, only just promoted from L2, will pass us off the park when we face them.

imacelebau behave GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

Well we did have 10 men... did actually score a goal for it to be brought back for a penalty and we had a couple more very strong penalty shouts.

We didn't start the game with 10 men though did we, only went down to 10 around 50 mins. Either way, weather we score the penalty or score just before it it's still only one shot overall. 

6 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Warne is more likely to have his contract extended rather than terminated. DC is going to give him a lot of time to build the club and the team. 

Really, what makes you think that? Will he get an extended contract if he doesn’t get us up? I would be surprised.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

We didn't start the game with 10 men though did we, only went down to 10 around 50 mins. Either way, weather we score the penalty or score just before it it's still only one shot overall. 

Thats still 40+ minutes with 10 men away at the best team in the league.

Scored 4 at pboro and 3 at burton so we are hardly gun shy!