Wildsmith needs a talking to.

davenportram

5 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

If Pboro scored 2 more and drew 4-4 you’d moan we didn’t waste time to break up play and stop momentum. 3 points is 3 points i don’t care how we get it 

If he wanted to time waste then he surely could just have fell to the floor holding his hamstring or leg generally. The rolling around like his head had been attacked with an axe was absolutely pathetic. Was he trying to get their player sent off too? Nope, no excuse for that extreme behaviour.

2 hours ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

It was great situational awareness imo. Opposition stood around for a few minutes after the goal at a time when their eager to go at us again. Warne can get his message across to the players in the meantime in prep for the last 5 mins of the match.

100% 

Every team that comes to Pride Park seems to do it, so why can't we?

40 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

If Pboro scored 2 more and drew 4-4 you’d moan we didn’t waste time to break up play and stop momentum. 3 points is 3 points i don’t care how we get it 

Gamesmanship to waste time is one thing but to feign a head injury, when it's as clear as day there was no contact to the head, is indefensible in my mind. 

13 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

100% 

Every team that comes to Pride Park seems to do it, so why can't we?

He could quite easily have feigned an injury without claiming there had been contact to his head. It does nothing to help address the concerns with head injuries when player, Derby players or not, fake it.

2 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I personally feel that once the ball goes in the net it should be a straight booking for any goalkeeper that stops the opposition from retrieving the ball.

No messing, no mitigation, just keep out of the way or you're booked.

It does feel like a rule needs making for it, but technically once ball goes in is the defending teams ball to kick off. So maybe forwards should leave it?

Agree on the cheating though, he’s done it a few times now. Don’t really care if other teams do it, is cheating and don’t want to see it. 

claiming it is great situational awareness is a right stretch as well, he’s just being a dick to try and slow then game down and get their player booked.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Call me a purist but it’s cheating and that’s not how I want Derby County to win games. 

You're a purist. I'm fed up of losing in the Corinthian spirit. If it makes the difference between promotion and staying in this god-forsaken division, I just want promotion. I've said for many seasons, we've been far too nice on the pitch to the opposition and referees, and our opponents have regularly taken advantage of that.

Joe loves to s******** teams, doesn't he?

Obviously I despise the football disease that is simulation, my one caveat being that being a team that doesn't play like that is scant consolation when you've just been beaten by one that does.

On that note, players who go down holding their heads, mostly do so because any type of potential head injury and the game instantly stops for HIA protocols / treatment. Sometimes, when players flop down holding other body parts, if the ref is wise to their antics, he'll wave play on and tell the fooker to get up. Apparently, they even issue cards these days!

Two observations; only Joe knows for certain whether his intentions was game management or to get a player sent off; and that managers will drop players who do not simulate when a tactical advantage might have been gained. Personally, I  do not know either what are the instructions given to the players and I doubt any on here do either.

As for Joe, he gets one pass on this for me and a quiet and sensible word in his ear should ensure that's all that's required. Another poster asked whether he would want his kids to see him behave in this fashion. Being asked that would be enough for me to have a re-think.

Edit: I've long thought football should steal an initiative from rugby and introduce regs that allow players to be cited and or retrospectively banned for simulation, assuming none exist already. With VAR already in situ, you might be forgiven that there's little to no appetite for change within the game itself and that's the pinch here.

Edited by Comrade 86

13 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

Maybe rugby league’s mandatory 15 minute HIA assessment would change things. Player can be substituted as a free change and after passing HIA can come back into play.

Suggested the use of citations myself. Suspect 15 mins would be too draconian for football,but not allowing players to immediately re-join the game having spent 5 minutes rolling around holding their heads makes a deal of sense. Perhaps they could be excluded for as long as the break in play incurred?

It's not lost on me that quite a stark difference between the two sports is that a lot of footballers too much time pretending to be injured, whereas most rugby players (often to the detriment of their health) spend entire games pretending they are not.