Wildsmith needs a talking to.

davenportram

On 27/08/2023 at 08:14, Carl Sagan said:

It was really important not to allow Peterborough any momentum for an unlikely comeback. I remember how Mings having lengthy treatment squashed any chance of us equalizing in the Villa playoff final. Wildsmith's game management is a massive bonus for us. I understand many "purists" on here will disagree, but I admire his professionalism. I don't want us to be plucky losers. 

Professionalism?  You must be joking.  This needs stamping out the way surrounding the ref is being done.

On 27/08/2023 at 09:03, Marriot Ram99 said:

If an opposition player was down holding their head faking it as a player you would feel like giving them a real reason to bee holding their head and give them a good boot, hate it as a player and fan and needs to be stamped out firmly. 

a real reason to bee holding their head and give them a good boot, hate it as a player and fan and needs to be stamped out firmly. 

That would really sting

On 27/08/2023 at 09:44, Wolfie20 said:

Will do. What I would definitely criticise Wildsmith for was his reaction in front of the home fans after the final whistle. Do that at The Den or Elland Road and all hell could break loose - absolutely no need for it.

The Posh fans had it right.  He is a wa***er

On 27/08/2023 at 14:59, Comrade 86 said:

Suggested the use of citations myself. Suspect 15 mins would be too draconian for football,but not allowing players to immediately re-join the game having spent 5 minutes rolling around holding their heads makes a deal of sense. Perhaps they could be excluded for as long as the break in play incurred?

It's not lost on me that quite a stark difference between the two sports is that a lot of footballers too much time pretending to be injured, whereas most rugby players (often to the detriment of their health) spend entire games pretending they are not. 

Football, a gentleman's game played by hooligans.  Rugby, a hooligan's game played by gentlemen.

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

No apology needed mate, it’s 100% different though, we apparently broke the rules regarding FFP and I don’t know enough to argue that we didn’t. What Wildsmith did was completely different imo, literally every team in the country will do the same. Passing it back to the keeper used to be a rule that teams exploited to the absolute max until they changed the rules and this is the same, it’s a case of if we don’t do it too we are at a disadvantage so we may as well join them imo. It’s up to then to change the rules to saw we can’t. Is it bad sportsmanship? 100% yes. Is it against the rules? Not yet I don’t think. It’s annoying I’ll admit but it could gain us around 10 points come the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

No apology needed mate, it’s 100% different though, we apparently broke the rules regarding FFP and I don’t know enough to argue that we didn’t. What Wildsmith did was completely different imo, literally every team in the country will do the same. Passing it back to the keeper used to be a rule that teams exploited to the absolute max until they changed the rules and this is the same, it’s a case of if we don’t do it too we are at a disadvantage so we may as well join them imo. It’s up to then to change the rules to saw we can’t. Is it bad sportsmanship? 100% yes. Is it against the rules? Not yet I don’t think. It’s annoying I’ll admit but it could gain us around 10 points come the end of the season. 

Simulation is a cautionable offence, be it diving or what Wildsmith did.  

Problem is Wildsmith is not clever enough or good enough actor to not look ridiculous doing it. Gets reputation for it. Then we will moan when refs make decisions against him. Or riles other teams up so fans get more vocal encouraging team and they're also more determined to score. Dont think it works positively for us and he looks an idiot. Same on few occasions last season

3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Problem is Wildsmith is not clever enough or good enough actor to not look ridiculous doing it. Gets reputation for it. Then we will moan when refs make decisions against him. Or riles other teams up so fans get more vocal encouraging team and they're also more determined to score. Dont think it works positively for us and he looks an idiot. Same on few occasions last season

It will come to back to bite us - maybe already is - at corners and free kicks. Refs won’t give fouls on him easily as he always moans or exaggerates. Already seen him blocked off a couple of times and barged into without a free kick being given

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Most of us are not “having a go at Wildsmith” for his performances. He has indeed been very good. But, that doesn’t make him immune from criticism for his over the top theatrics. 

Takes the heat out of the game.  Maybe he might need to tone it down slightly then !