Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

38 minutes ago, sage said:

They hit the bar and had 3 cleared off the line. There was an element of doggedness but also an element of getting away with it and a genuine area for improvement. Despite what Warne said after the game, they will look at that and seek to improve.  

We were in control of the game until Warne decided to switch back to 3-5-2. From that point onwards we looked far more disorganised and we’re lucky not to concede more.

49 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

(yes I meant Waggy. ) 2-8 would of course have been even more wonderful. But what we actually wanted was a boring second half, for some of the OAPs to be rested and for the two signings to have an easy debut. OK we got the latter (and I thought their introduction was well timed). But we found ourselves sliced open at the back several times and clearing the ball off the line on multiple occasions. Continuing the open, breaking game gave Posh their best shot at 4-4.

I know there are arguments to the contrary. But I would like to have seen Warne execute that sort of game management. 

I know what your saying but also remember having a very long debate with a poster who slated cocu in one game for trying to protect a lead and losing impetus, we could easily have changed up a bit lost our flow and ended up being pushed back deep and getting battered second half and perhaps drawing or losing the game too , personally at 3 goals up I was happy to carry on as things were and felt we could just as easily score more , you can go down either route and things work out or go awry 🤷🏻‍♂️

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We were in control of the game until Warne decided to switch back to 3-5-2. From that point onwards we looked far more disorganised and we’re lucky not to concede more.

Do you mean when he brought Elder on after 68 mins?

I would agree we were fortunate not to concede another goal or two.

56 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Must be what the most ardent of PW supporters mean by "coming good".....least we didn't ACTUALLY concede more, so progress👍

On 27/08/2023 at 00:03, Ram@Lincoln said:

And he absolutely loved it. Huge Cheshire cat grin and amazement from him at the end when walking back in. He loves the love we're giving him already. Then throughout the match when on the bench he kept watching the away support like an excited child at Disneyland. 

Must make a nice change playing in front of a crowd that has such a large and loyal following and that's before we even get to mentioning Derby 😋

39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah, that was the switch. Wasn’t helped by Elder playing like he’d won a competition to be there either.

The first 2 clearances off the line were before that, we were already on the rack. At one point we played with a a back 4 and 2 wing backs which invited pressure as you say but we were already under the cosh. I think if they had had a week with us, he'd have brought the 2 ew signings on 15 minutes earlier, which would have helped. 

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s been a funny season. 

We thought we had a rock solid defence but worried who would score the goals and it’s turned into the opposite scenario!

Only one team has scored more than us in the league, and we are just 1 goal behind the 3 teams with the best goal difference in the league.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s been a funny season. 

We thought we had a rock solid defence but worried who would score the goals and it’s turned into the opposite scenario!

We struggled to score n the first 3 games, just need to get the balance right and restrict the amount of chances we offer

20 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Only one team has scored more than us in the league, and we are just 1 goal behind the 3 teams with the best goal difference in the league.

See how they do against Portsmouth.  Their defence is tighter than a ducks arse in a monsoon this season. Barnsley must about about top having rammed 7 past Port Vale who now have 10 points and are above Barnsley who inflicted that damage.  One or two good or bad games can put a spin on most stats. As long as you have a decent plus goal difference at the end you should be doing better than most. 

12 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I think my favourite goal might be the first.

A peach of a cross with a hint of a deflection, and a smart finish, but also the immediate ceasing of a home song giving way to the elated cheers of all those Rams fans. Beautiful.

arguably the first was the smartest finish. But the third was a thing of beauty

41 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

arguably the first was the smartest finish. But the third was a thing of beauty

My favorite goal was Waggys 3rd and Derbys 4th, when it left his foot I said to my mate, thats going in, and yes it was there, pure limbs in the away end a great hat trick from Waggy, and a great away day. Still smiling now, made my bank holiday weekend. 

7 hours ago, DerbyAleMan said:

My favorite goal was Waggys 3rd and Derbys 4th, when it left his foot I said to my mate, thats going in, and yes it was there, pure limbs in the away end a great hat trick from Waggy, and a great away day. Still smiling now, made my bank holiday weekend. 

yes that’s the one I meant, the bendy one  

On 27/08/2023 at 12:07, Kokosnuss said:

Just had a look at the posts. The mods don't go around deleting posts for no reason, so unless there was anything personal toward the manager everything that was posted is still there.

Mostly just people bemoaning the quality of our play to that point, the poor defending and the ease at which Peterborough were going through midfield. A couple of suggestions as to what we could do to stop them coming at us.

I think that's called... accurately  observing and discussing what had happened in the game to that point. Heaven forbid.

In addition there are a couple of people questioning how such good players were looking like poor players, and a couple of sarcy comments about how the players are being managed, but not really anything that would come close to being considered 'wrist slashing' by anyone without an agenda to stir up division.

I propose that we stop having match threads that stay open during the course of the game. Pre and post game comments only in future, so nobody can embarrass themselves by having natural human reactions to unfolding events.

*Sarky

👀