Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

Back from the game and enjoying a beer while reading through this thread. Kinder Jnr and I had to give MOTM to Waggy and it’s well deserved, but Tommo was a close second. He was everywhere, the best I’ve seen him play. His energy is invaluable and really helped us win the ball back and retain it. I loved it when he brought the ball half the length of the pitch second half and won a free kick on the edge of the box. Hourihane gave him a lot of praise for that.

I’ve seen Rooney get a lot of stick on here but I thought he had a good game. He was done for their goal (I think, as the cross came from his side), but the guy he was up against was very quick and tricky. Not sure there are many like him in League 1. Other than that I thought Rooney dealt with him well, although second half we were defending up the other end so I hadn’t got the best view. I really like the look of him.

I was very impressed with Nelson, his best game in a Derby shirt so far. Fornah looked classy when he came on, always offering himself for a pass and used the  ball well. 

A pretty much perfect away day, the most I’ve enjoyed a game since Port Vale last year. The atmosphere was superb. Can’t wait for Bolton now.

25 minutes ago, lagavulinram said:

Goal line clearances,and pboro failed to score a few times.

Thats not to say wildsmith had a great game, but a couple of shots they had, they walked it in, then shot.

Its a good win, they dominated the frantic second half, until the subs came on, then we played better. 

There second goal was against the turn of play.

Its a great result. New subs were great.

They didn’t “dominate” the second half I was watching. Yes, they may have had the better chances but did they look like scoring three goals especially as you say, their second goal was against the run of play? I thought our press kept them pinned down for large parts of the second 45 minutes and Thompson continued to prove a menace. If you’re going to say they had three or four great chances well that’s how football works. It’s very rare that teams score from pretty much every good chance.

it’s funny how folk see things differently but, over the course of the 90 minutes, I certainly wouldn’t say we were lucky.

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I just don’t understand it. We’ve got (for this level) a good bunch of footballers. Why can’t we play some decent football? 

Because we dont have a good bunch of footballers, thats why we dont play decent football..until todays one off..ok we won 4-2 but it will mean sod all if we muck up in the next match and thats always on the cards at this bloody club!!..unfair on these incredible fans we have..i'm proud of you all.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Per Peterborough local paper: 

"Ferguson was shown two yellow cards in the space of less than a minute, with the second one appearing to be for applauding after he was shown the first one."

Rightly so if that's the case. If I were officiating no way would I tolerate that level of disrespect. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I like you as a poster but that kind of sign off isn't great on a forum. He has ability on the ball but doesn't have the pace or ability to turn to play RB and played a major part in both their goals. He is a promising young player of of position and looks it. 

I take your point and to be fair I don’t really like the “full stop” “period” thing. It’s a bit cliched don’t know why I did it 🤣. I think it was a reaction to the Rooney “got done” thing which was to my mind a bit one eyed given his all round ability whenever he has played and the fact that he was up against a strong opponent today.

I received a phone call an hour before the match, telling me a much loved Uncle had passed away.

Felt like I'd been punched in the gut, and went upstairs to have a quiet moment. 

Woke up at 3.30, flipped the radio on to hear it was 1-1, tolerated Dawes for a minute or two, then flew to Belgium to watch the rest of the game.

3 Derby goals in my first 10 minutes of watching was the kind of medicine I needed. 

Thanks Waggy, and Cashin.

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

I received a phone call an hour before the match, telling me a much loved Uncle had passed away.

Felt like I'd been punched in the gut, and went upstairs to have a quiet moment. 

Woke up at 3.30, flipped the radio on to hear it was 1-1, tolerated Dawes for a minute or two, then flew to Belgium to watch the rest of the game.

3 Derby goals in my first 10 minutes of watching was the kind of medicine I needed. 

VPN airways?

Had reservations about waggy returning but has so far proved myself and majority wrong. Different player it seems in this league. Said he has matured as a player since he left. Maybe so. 

Had reservations about tommo in the past but he has come into the team and added real energy into that midfield. Looks like a real player. 

Actually liked Rooney in the past because he does so many things well. He was put on toast today( but recovered ) and has been unlucky in the past on and off the pitch. A couple of protein shakes and extra sessions in the gym will do him the world of good. 

Nelson good today and everyone else steady. 

Elder yet to win me over in the cameo roles he has had. 

Good day all round 

22 minutes ago, OwdGladysHinton said:

Because we dont have a good bunch of footballers, thats why we dont play decent football..until todays one off..ok we won 4-2 but it will mean sod all if we muck up in the next match and thats always on the cards at this bloody club!!..unfair on these incredible fans we have..i'm proud of you all.

Relegation battle back on then? It’s too early to put the promotion bunting up yet but let’s also not write today’s performance as a “one off” just yet.

Just got back in, excellent away day, great atmosphere, about time we beat posh in there own back yard. 

Waghorn my man of the match, but Nelson and Tommo also very good, so pleased for everyone connected to the club. 

Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday weekend fellow Rams fans. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

29 minutes ago, Rev said:

Sorry to hear your bad news. I'm glad the rams and your 60 minute trip to Belgium helped.

I don’t think anyone was expecting that today, not the perfect performance but a huge confidence builder/mood lifting result. 

Waghorn looked a class above in pre-season when he got minutes, so no surprise that he’s playing as well as he is. He’s looking like a different player at the moment from what I remember, obviously in the league below, but he looks so sharp - credit to him really. He;s enjoying the McGoldrick effect. Thompson had his best game in a Derby shirt, what a transformation in him too.

It took us until October to win two away games last season, so to do it in August deserves a lot of credit. Lots to work on, lots to improve on, but a statement win for Warne today. Credit where it is due. 

Very enjoyable day out. When we went 1 nil down early doors I thought it was going to be a long afternoon. Should never have doubted the lads.

Peterborough's stadium sadly wins the award for the worst stadium I have been to. Cobwebs and bird poo on the antiquated seats. Matched by the poor human toilet and 'hospitality' facilities, and general feel and appearance of the place. Is no surprise that the stadium owners are in receivership and it has the air of no money being spent on it and not looked after. Makes me very grateful for what we have at Pride Park.

2023-08-26 14.08.39.jpg