v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

Well guys the performance was poor I know only first game back but lack of fight and desire to win. I am trying not to be to harsh on them. I knew this game would be tough first goal came by messing around at the back giving there striker a tap in. And 2nd goal came about very very very unlike wildsmith to mess up like that I am putting first day jitters and players very very nevouse some of them never played nearly 30k crowd before.

But come on lads if reading this you all need toughn up in order get promation you all need fight and get into opposition faces and show them who is boss. We win as a team and draw as a team or even like today we lose as a team.

I expect next game on Tuesday in the cup for you all but on war faces on and  battle hard and take the game to blackpool.

So come on lads show them what you are made off.

I felt a bit bad for Collins. He was so isolated and just dropped deeper and deeper all game. Having Washington up with him should help, but they don't fill me with optimism.

I'm pretty sure he's allergic to getting to the near post though.

Liked Ward, and Wilson showed something completely different when he came on too. We're just so slow through the middle it's painful.

Wigan were decent, but it stings to lose that.

Evening,

I'm new to this forum but been a Derby fan born and bred for 20+ years. Opinions often seem to be glass half full side of the fence but that is probably the average football fan outside of the Etihad.

I found today incredibly frustrating like most and fully acknowledge its the first game of the season and is not always a barometer of what the next game will be like let alone the season.

I actually think Wigan were alright , deserve credit. Wyke doesn't belong in L1 and I for one underestimated them purely based on the familiar feeling of chaos that's engulfed their preparations to the season. But.. I'm actually more worried than most and my feelings stem back to last season.

I appreciate all managers have a style and Warne knows his and has seen the fruits from it with Rotherham. His signings fit his ideas obviously and I thought Ward was great and the likes of Bradley, Nelson, Elder will improve although I can't say any of the new signings stunk the place bar the error from Bradley.

What does bother me is two things; the one dimensional almost pub football style of 'dump as many balls into the box as possible and one might bounce for us', which seems to be a Warne trait, but more worrying today was the almost confusion amongst the players about their roles and how this left the team so exposed. When we were defending goal kicks, particularly first half, Joe Ward was 10 yards into their half and Nelson was 20 yards infield so the keeper was able to launch it 70 yards to McManaman. Eiran Cashin I thought looked very unsure of his role and the overlapping centre half ala Sheff U does not suit him at all. One cross in the first half went for a throw in on half way. Max Bird isn't a 10 or an 8 and with Smith and Hourihane basically playing as 6's our centre midfield was non existant. NML again isn't a 10 and is only effective, in spurts, on the right but is likely to be in the way of Ward. Just felt a bit chaotic, unbalanced and I don't feel Waghorn gives too much we don't have now.

Lots of work to do and to my mind, we need more like 5 or 6 players. Perhaps the style will click slightly more if he can get the personnel he needs by the end of the window but a little bit confused by today more than anything 

2 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Evening,

I'm new to this forum but been a Derby fan born and bred for 20+ years. Opinions often seem to be glass half full side of the fence but that is probably the average football fan outside of the Etihad.

I found today incredibly frustrating like most and fully acknowledge its the first game of the season and is not always a barometer of what the next game will be like let alone the season.

I actually think Wigan were alright , deserve credit. Wyke doesn't belong in L1 and I for one underestimated them purely based on the familiar feeling of chaos that's engulfed their preparations to the season. But.. I'm actually more worried than most and my feelings stem back to last season.

I appreciate all managers have a style and Warne knows his and has seen the fruits from it with Rotherham. His signings fit his ideas obviously and I thought Ward was great and the likes of Bradley, Nelson, Elder will improve although I can't say any of the new signings stunk the place bar the error from Bradley.

What does bother me is two things; the one dimensional almost pub football style of 'dump as many balls into the box as possible and one might bounce for us', which seems to be a Warne trait, but more worrying today was the almost confusion amongst the players about their roles and how this left the team so exposed. When we were defending goal kicks, particularly first half, Joe Ward was 10 yards into their half and Nelson was 20 yards infield so the keeper was able to launch it 70 yards to McManaman. Eiran Cashin I thought looked very unsure of his role and the overlapping centre half ala Sheff U does not suit him at all. One cross in the first half went for a throw in on half way. Max Bird isn't a 10 or an 8 and with Smith and Hourihane basically playing as 6's our centre midfield was non existant. NML again isn't a 10 and is only effective, in spurts, on the right but is likely to be in the way of Ward. Just felt a bit chaotic, unbalanced and I don't feel Waghorn gives too much we don't have now.

Lots of work to do and to my mind, we need more like 5 or 6 players. Perhaps the style will click slightly more if he can get the personnel he needs by the end of the window but a little bit confused by today more than anything 

Welcome buddy

33 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Last season was fine. I know you like to operate under a ridiculous persona on here, but if we're honest it wasn't great but nor was it catastrophic. Just fine. We now have a clean slate, a new season and Warne has signed his own players for the first time here. It's pretty reasonable to look at just the current season. Like I said, if we're not playing well in 10 games time I will probably have some doubts on whether he is the right man for the job, but we've only played one game, and the defensive mistakes aren't Warne's fault. They severely altered the tempo of the games due to the timing of the mistakes.

Since you've been on this forum, you've never supported a manager. Support how you like, but I find that embarrassing personally. 

I’m not directly blaming Warne for the goals today - they were stupid individual mistakes. But at the very least the first one was contributed to by his overlapping centre backs tactic, which leaves Bradley hopelessly exposed through the middle. A disaster waiting to happen really - and it very nearly cost us again 10 minutes later!

Im not trying to build any persona, I’m calling things how I see them. I don’t think there’s been a good manager in charge of Derby County since Steve McClaren, hence why I’ve not been a fan of them - perhaps Gary Rowett excepted. I mean look at their careers afterwards, was I wrong about them? No. And I won’t be wrong about Warne either. He’s a small club manager with a small club mentality, insistent on turning us into Rotherham. He won’t be here by Christmas.

This season is not a clean slate, last season showed Warne’s managerial deficiencies. Irrespective of whether they were his players or not, that’s still very much relevant. You can keep your head in the sand all you want, but the rest of us won’t.

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne says we need 2 strikers . 90% of fans can see we need a goalscorer. (Waghorn is not the answer. )But say it on this forum and you are a “ Bed Wetter “ or a “Twitcher”. If we are so Massive , is it too much to ask for a player that can finish one of the many chances created.

What chances collions had no service to finnish from everyone has a right to a opapion.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not directly blaming Warne for the goals today - they were stupid individual mistakes. But at the very least the first one was contributed to by his overlapping centre backs tactic, which leaves Bradley hopelessly exposed through the middle. A disaster waiting to happen really - and it very nearly cost us again 10 minutes later!

You've covered yourself with the first sentence, but then how is the second one relevant? Bradley could have been one of only two Derby players on the pitch as long as the second one was Wildsmith and Bradley passed the ball to him correctly.

15 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

I felt a bit bad for Collins. He was so isolated and just dropped deeper and deeper all game. Having Washington up with him should help, but they don't fill me with optimism.

I'm pretty sure he's allergic to getting to the near post though.

Liked Ward, and Wilson showed something completely different when he came on too. We're just so slow through the middle it's painful.

Wigan were decent, but it stings to lose that.

He wasn’t isolated at all, if you review the player positions - it also shows that their strikers’ average position on the pitch was similar to our defensive midfielder. 

It brings me back to situational football and needing better coaching when we’re so far up the pitch as a standard. 

IMG_0066.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Im not trying to build any persona, I’m calling things how I see them. I don’t think there’s been a good manager in charge of Derby County since Steve McClaren, hence why I’ve not been a fan of them - perhaps Gary Rowett excepted. I mean look at their careers afterwards, was I wrong about them? No. And I won’t be wrong about Warne either. He’s a small club manager with a small club mentality, insistent on turning us into Rotherham. He won’t be here by Christmas.

This season is not a clean slate, last season showed Warne’s managerial deficiencies. Irrespective of whether they were his players or not, that’s still very much relevant. You can keep your head in the sand all you want, but the rest of us won’t.

I am as disappointed as everyone else, but I can remember the response when we appointed Jim Smith and those first few games when we looked awful. He turned things around. It is going to take a bit of time for things to gel. Let’s give it 10 games and see what the squad looks like at the end of the window and see where we are then.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am as disappointed as everyone else, but I can remember the response when we appointed Jim Smith and those first few games when we looked awful. He turned things around. It is going to take a bit of time for things to gel. Let’s give it 10 games and see what the squad looks like at the end of the window and see where we are then.

Good point. 0-0 at home to Port Vale, then rediscovered Dean Sturridge in a 2-3 defeat at Reading, if I remember rightly. And Darryl Powell at left centre-back before TBE decided he'd be better off back in midfield. From there to Igor, a brilliant attack, and a 20-match unbeaten run. We live in hope!

4 minutes ago, jameso said:

You've covered yourself with the first sentence, but then how is the second one relevant? Bradley could have been one of only two Derby players on the pitch as long as the second one was Wildsmith and Bradley passed the ball to him correctly.

Watch the goal again. Bradley is under a lot of pressure because we only have two players back, and Wigan have three up on the press. I’m not excusing the absolutely terrible pass, which was his fault and no one else’s, but it would've been easier for him if he had someone else to pass to. Both CBs were so high that wasn’t an option.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I'm not blaming Warne he says, whilst blaming Warne. Again, it wasn't tactics that made Sonny Bradley under hit the pass. It was an individual lapse. 

The small club manager thing really is a poor line. 

Without preseason, with a threadbare squad he did ok. You are the most negative fan on here, but most fans would consider the mitigating circumstances when appraising performances. Personally I think it's daft to look at it from such a biased viewpoint, but you do you, you're far too entrenched to ever change your mind and you wouldn't even if we won the next 45 games this season. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why pick on Bird who did more than Smith and/or as much as Hourihane?

Because he’s twice the player than both of them. People are outraged about the result but when your best player continues to be a passenger at this level it’s not hard to see why we come up short against the better teams.

I’ve said in other posts he’s not the only one mind, Smith and Hourihane added to the ineffectiveness. They were all guilty of being caught on the ball, wayward simple passing and not quite taking opportunities when winning the ball further up the pitch. All just a bit powderpuff and meh.