v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Pop over to the Waghorn thread, I said fans will decide DCs tenure next season, Oooops looks to be a year to early, Coming out of the ground all I heard was Warne out, Fans are fickle/entitled and think they know best...one game in and the knives are out.

It takes time...but it looks as tho the clock is ticking already FFS 🙄

Didnt hear anyone saying Warne out today. 

5 minutes ago, caymanram said:

PW loves his back three. I think we were at our best last season playing a back four. The three works but I need an energetic and forceful centre midfield - which we just don’t have right now- the opposition runs through us too easily .

we were positive today in midfield and left ourselves exposed when we lost the ball. I thought that in possession our midfield looked good but the high press needs more organisation and you need to know who will offer cover when it’s on. Same when Cashin, Nelson, Bradley are up for set pieces:  Yes that’s a big scoring opportunity but they need to agree who is up each time, and who covers for them. We were exposed on the break. That will take some time to organise

A lot of what we saw today was impressive. It was probably useful in terms of showing what we now need to find before the window closes. 

One question is the roles of Bird and Hourihane. I think we should play Bird deeper, CH further forward. As for the wobbly defence Fozzie is our best CB and needs to play as one. Sure, he did well out wide today but we must be strongest at the back and he should play there. A shame he played so well in advanced positions 

41 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I expect DC will feel exactly the same as the rest of us after losing our first game of the season. As well as owning the club he’s spent decades on the terraces and that is where he differs from Mel, along with the fiscal prudence. If you spoke to him tonight he’d say we need pace upfront, a No 10 and somebody in midfield like George Williams. It will be sorted.

Yes but he stood and clapped everyone off 

20 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Didnt hear anyone saying Warne out today. 

Well I'm worn out.....

7 hours plodding around chessington world of adventures in a constant heavy rain punctuated only by 2 torrential downpours of biblical proportions.......

I missed the match and am convinced I've contracted trench foot 🙄

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Well I'm worn out.....

7 hours plodding around chessington world of adventures in a constant heavy rain punctuated only by 2 torrential downpours of biblical proportions.......

I missed the match and am convinced I've contracted trench foot 🙄

Next time take someone with you for company

50 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Perhaps already discussed (I haven't gone through the whole thread) but regarding the new rules, I wonder why their keeper was frequently allowed to ignore the spare ball and retreive the existing one to take goal kicks? Also, why were their players allowed to take an absolute age to celebrate their goals before strolling back for the restart? Especially the second goal when they all went to the corner that wasn't even in front of their fans. I know the fourth official adds time on for each goal but possibly not enough to allow for such shenanigans. 

This isn't sour grapes and I'm sure there will be time when Derby do it but it really should be stamped out.

Also, whilst I'm still in grumpy old man mode, is it just me or was the prematch music even louder than usual? 🙉

My grumpy middle aged woman thing is the drinks breaks. Today they constantly broke up play. Does that get added on? How did players manage until the last season or so? I would get it if hot but today? They all should just have their bottles in a small area on opposite side to technical area and if they want a drink they go off and get one with no coaching and no stop in play. 

And yes the music was atrocious. The pitch man bosses everyone to make some noise in the second half then instantly a loud hideous thing comes on (thunderstruck???)  comes on that kills any attempt there may be to sing totally dead. How is that ever going to produce any positive vibe? Also I tried to speak to someone near us pre-match and we gave ip trying to shout over it. Its deafening. We're west upper- is it as loud elsewhere? And I am not old before people start

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm getting really really cross with this ref. He's only given us one free kick in the first 35 minutes, which was where Bird was on the ball being continually held back. Ref took so very long to give it Bird almost got himself sent off for squaring up to the defender. 

By contrast, a Wigan player falls over and it's an immediate foul every time. Five to them so far. Just had a clear throw-in on the edge of their box, yet the ref gives it the other way. Now Korey Smith booked for what? 

And now Wigan score. Mistake by Bradley. 

The ref was diabolical. That first half was shocking, every decision went against us. The ref was a strutting ponce determined to rule against us.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The ref was diabolical. That first half was shocking, every decision went against us. The ref was a strutting ponce determined to rule against us.

We should have had a penalty in the first 10 mins.  That's a certainty. The ref was ably assisted by our own failings though to be honest, he didn't have to do much.

We lack both pace and bite in the middle of the pitch for me. Neither Bird or NML looked comfortable today in their number 10 roles either. 

I think we would look better with a box box midfielder and another CF to play with Collins up top. In a 352.

We really struggled when there was a lack of space. Smith having the ball in the centre circle, twenty players in one half. We don’t have a player (like Didzy) that can receive the ball to feet in the middle, control it and worry the opposition with a cute pass. We were predictable on getting the ball to the wing backs for crosses. 

At home especially, we really need the first goal to make it a more open game space wise. We’re finding it difficult to break a team down and I think we look slow because of a lack of space. 

I get the whole angry disappointed losing first game thing. But please allow things to settle…… many ages on here. Some won’t be witness to the success of the past.

Heard Waggy and Smith announced soon. Squad still in the making. Read the Bradley signed thread….. he will be immense I’ve no worries at all. This team will grow in stature. 
Still gutted, five ales hasn’t helped much, but we go again 

52 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

We lack both pace and bite in the middle of the pitch for me. Neither Bird or NML looked comfortable today in their number 10 roles either. 

I think we would look better with a box box midfielder and another CF to play with Collins up top. In a 352.

Instead of Collins please

I remember taking stick on here a few weeks ago saying the players we are bringing in like Bradley are not of the same quality as those last year and have never made any meaningful impact at championship level, bradleys debut was not encouraging at all and sadly isn’t proving me wrong yet 

3 hours ago, alram said:

I remember taking stick on here a few weeks ago saying the players we are bringing in like Bradley are not of the same quality as those last year and have never made any meaningful impact at championship level, bradleys debut was not encouraging at all and sadly isn’t proving me wrong yet 

The same quality as in one centre half is now with Solihull Moors and the other without a club after making about three appearances for us? 

Confused Parks And Recreation GIF

Edited by Mr Tibbs

Well first chocolate out of the box wasn’t to my taste perhaps past it’s sell by date , we looked like we hadn’t had a pre season , too many poor passes, slow , getting caught in possession, no movement off the ball and two silly errors , for me bird does not suit playing further forward and is not great with his back to goal against defender s rather than deeper ,facing forward against forwards or midfielder s ,

there were some bright points and after a sleep we wernt as bad as I felt we were during and after the final whistle , it’s clear we need 3 maybe 4 players in and some serious organising , let’s hope the next one out of the box is a salted caramel 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied