v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

4 hours ago, alram said:

I remember taking stick on here a few weeks ago saying the players we are bringing in like Bradley are not of the same quality as those last year and have never made any meaningful impact at championship level, bradleys debut was not encouraging at all and sadly isn’t proving me wrong yet 

I won’t dispute his part in the game yesterday, but Bradley’s poor performance yesterday doesn’t rewrite history. That’s the point I was making to you before and will reiterate it today. He has been playing at championship level for the last 4 seasons, in a team that established itself in that league with a 19th place finish in their first season, a 12th placed finish in their second season, then pushed for playoffs with a 6th place finish in the third season, and  then won the playoffs last year after finishing third.

I’ll give you the fact he didn’t have the best game yesterday, well done, it still doesn’t prove your theory that he’s not done it at championship level because the historic facts are that he has 🙄 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

26 minutes ago, Archied said:

Forgot to mention that nml in my view is a winger and not an inside forward and only really works if we are looking to change things up ,not a starter in this formation 

I thought NML played quite well and offered a bit of craft. Plated one up perfectly for Collins and he would’ve scored a great goal if not for the excellent Sam Tickle. He got a couple of dangerous balls in the box too, slowed in the second half but he’s still considerably our best attacking player on the day. Compare to the output provided by Collins and Bird, it’s night and day. We need another player like NML. 

Frustrating watch yesterday but it was like pretty much every other opening match I’ve seen in the past, disjointed struggling to put moves together as the pass is slightly short, slightly behind or the intended recipient hasn’t read the pass quick enough, there were several nearly moments yesterday when we could have been in, then on the occasions we were in we took the wrong option. Difference between this game and other opening games is we didn’t nick a point or a win which we would’ve done yesterday if not for two absolutely guilt edged mistakes which a manager can’t legislate for, Sonny Bradley with the first one and Joe with the second (which possibly came from Wigans first real attack in the second half such was our dominance at that period in the game) 

We created some very good chances especially the Collins one first half where he scuffed the finish and their keeper made some smart stops notably from Fozzy. 

It wasn’t a great performance but didn’t think it was a game we deserved to lose. I’m not going to judge new signings yet. Ward and Wilson look promising I’m confident Bradley will be fine jury is out for me on Nelson but he needs to be on his game as I really think this could be Rooney’s breakthrough season. I’m concerned about Conor and Smith as a midfield pair as it’s not the most dynamic, thought the latter was poor yesterday.

Bird is definitely not a 10, struggled with the plan for him yesterday and didn’t think he really influenced things as he can. However I think him playing there underlines just how short we are in attacking areas right now with Sibley and Barkhuizen out and Washington coming back from an injury. We need bodies in and Waggy is a good start, I think it’s a system he can thrive in. 

Those saying NML is playing out of position, he played that role at times towards the end of last season and had a positive influence, think he just wasn’t on his game yesterday.

Not a great performance yesterday but nothing to be really concerned about or panic just yet.

As for Wigan, I tipped them for top 10 and it’s good for us they’re starting on -8, they are not a bad team and now Charlie Wyke is well again they have one of the most prolific strikers in this league in the last 5+ years both at Sunderland and Wigan. Can’t begrudge them the win, galvanised by what has happened but similarly been bailed out by a local man with the resources to do so, should be on a stable footing going forward which is great. To bring over 2000 when they’re a small fan base and usually bring 500 is seriously impressive. 

17 minutes ago, Jayram said:

And 3 relegations the seasons after..

PW has an outstanding record in as a league 1 manager. We are currently a league 1 team. Granted, he’s not yet managed to prove himself as a successful manager in the Championship but let’s get out of this league first and then see how he fairs if Derby are able to support him more financially than Rotherham could. If he had been appointed after we’d been promoted to the Championship then your comment would be pertinent.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Frustrating watch yesterday but it was like pretty much every other opening match I’ve seen in the past, disjointed struggling to put moves together as the pass is slightly short, slightly behind or the intended recipient hasn’t read the pass quick enough, there were several nearly moments yesterday when we could have been in, then on the occasions we were in we took the wrong option. Difference between this game and other opening games is we didn’t nick a point or a win which we would’ve done yesterday if not for two absolutely guilt edged mistakes which a manager can’t legislate for, Sonny Bradley with the first one and Joe with the second (which possibly came from Wigans first real attack in the second half such was our dominance at that period in the game) 

We created some very good chances especially the Collins one first half where he scuffed the finish and their keeper made some smart stops notably from Fozzy. 

It wasn’t a great performance but didn’t think it was a game we deserved to lose. I’m not going to judge new signings yet. Ward and Wilson look promising I’m confident Bradley will be fine jury is out for me on Nelson but he needs to be on his game as I really think this could be Rooney’s breakthrough season. I’m concerned about Conor and Smith as a midfield pair as it’s not the most dynamic, thought the latter was poor yesterday.

Bird is definitely not a 10, struggled with the plan for him yesterday and didn’t think he really influenced things as he can. However I think him playing there underlines just how short we are in attacking areas right now with Sibley and Barkhuizen out and Washington coming back from an injury. We need bodies in and Waggy is a good start, I think it’s a system he can thrive in. 

Those saying NML is playing out of position, he played that role at times towards the end of last season and had a positive influence, think he just wasn’t on his game yesterday.

Not a great performance yesterday but nothing to be really concerned about or panic just yet.

As for Wigan, I tipped them for top 10 and it’s good for us they’re starting on -8, they are not a bad team and now Charlie Wyke is well again they have one of the most prolific strikers in this league in the last 5+ years both at Sunderland and Wigan. Can’t begrudge them the win, galvanised by what has happened but similarly been bailed out by a local man with the resources to do so, should be on a stable footing going forward which is great. To bring over 2000 when they’re a small fan base and usually bring 500 is seriously impressive. 

👏 a sensible balanced assessment of yesterday that captures a lot of my own thoughts and observations. There was some good, some bad and some in between. So many “nearly moments” where someone’s touch let them down, the pass wasn’t read or was overhit, or the press almost paid off (one moment when Bird almost intercepted a pass across their backline sticks in the memory)
Wigan were solid and well organised in defence and we struggled to break it down yesterday, they deserve credit for that. Warne and the players need to work out how we’re going to play against those tactics cause Wigan won’t be the first team who look to crowd us out, but there were moments yesterday if better executed we could have unlocked their defence (Hourihane shooting from 20 yards when a pass into Collins who was trundling into space to his left seemed a better option, NML checking his run when Wilson slipped a pass through to him, Wilson’s drilled cross rather than a cut back after his excellent wing play, composure/finishing in the box). 

11 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Pop over to the Waghorn thread, I said fans will decide DCs tenure next season, Oooops looks to be a year to early, Coming out of the ground all I heard was Warne out, Fans are fickle/entitled and think they know best...one game in and the knives are out.

It takes time...but it looks as tho the clock is ticking already FFS 🙄

Have you been listening to those voices in your head again? 😀

Seriously though, I’m sure there are some that have never thought PW was the right man for the job and yesterday’s result reinforces their view. But, I didn’t hear a sole talk about getting rid and anyone that does after just one game this season is quite mad. Even amongst the critical messages read out on radio Derby none, to my memory, even hinted that PW should go.

After a night to reflect I have to same I am concerned by yesterdays game 😞

Don’t want to be a wrist slasher but too many of the issues that we had last season have not been addressed.

Yes it’s obvious we need to strengthen the forward line but the midfield is just not right either - Bird and Hourihane does just not work - it’s not creative but it’s not combative either.

Early days but there is a lot of work to be done and all eyes are going to be on Warne - if he didn’t realise he isn’t at Rotherham before he will be now !

Not being overcritical of yesterday but every single argument about the first match of the season always being a bit gritty and trying to learn and work with the system was blown apart when Leeds took Stoke apart at a canter after a pre season with Bielsa 😂 

*well aware Bielsa is world class… 

43 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Have you been listening to those voices in your head again? 😀

Seriously though, I’m sure there are some that have never thought PW was the right man for the job and yesterday’s result reinforces their view. But, I didn’t hear a sole talk about getting rid and anyone that does after just one game this season is quite mad. Even amongst the critical messages read out on radio Derby none, to my memory, even hinted that PW should go.

Those voices keep well away, As for the fans wanting PW out, I agree these will be the ones who didn't want him here or are finding any reason to solidify their views, I have to bite my tongue with my views on PW...a more patient waiting game for this season, Unfortunately results have either a + or - point of view.

10 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Well I'm worn out.....

7 hours plodding around chessington world of adventures in a constant heavy rain punctuated only by 2 torrential downpours of biblical proportions.......

I missed the match and am convinced I've contracted trench foot 🙄

And all animals coming in 2 by 2...how's things Noah 😉

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We should have had a penalty in the first 10 mins.  That's a certainty. The ref was ably assisted by our own failings though to be honest, he didn't have to do much.

The linesman/person/no mark was right inline, I don't believe he is blind as all in the North Stand saw his shirt almost ripped off, To weak to get involved, I'll give the Ref a get out of jail free card on this one as it was at the back post and out of his line of view, I believe with all the new rules that have come in this season...people running up and down the line with material on sticks are only allowed to give throw ins and offsides.

A further continuation of piss poor officials from last season 😡

One thing that yet again was highlighted for me yesterday was what a good player Forsyth is, he could easily be in the back 3 but a terrific performance at a wing back position and easily could have had a hat trick, sure a lot of his crosses are usually not above head height ( I can fault our attacking players for never noticing that) but there are plenty of them and he always seems to get in at the back post. If he doesn’t get selected to be starting in that back 5 then something is wrong as he is better than some of the others selected.

xG was very good for us yesterday. 

Can only assume the xG of the Forsyth goal was quite small too considering the angle and technique needed.

As fans it’s easy to let emotions rule our heads when things are bad (and good). We created the better chances yesterday quite clearly. I always use xG as an objective way of seeing whether my initial thoughts about what we deserved are based on emotion or fact. 

64062411-0C0E-41B6-813D-BF53E6D2AF07.jpeg