Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

Rhodes was a baller about 8 years ago but has fell off the boil. I'd of personally gone with (I've said 1000 times) Nombe or Ladapo but whatever.

Whatever happens happens. It's not my money, I'll support whatever option but I genuinely think we're lacking raw pace upfront with Rhodes, Collins and Washington. Too much of the same model for me, we need a plan A B and C, not CCC.

3 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Not in the last 7 seasons though. Crap footballer small old and slow. Don’t get this one. I get Washington because he can run behind and stretch teams/create space for others.

Every signing in football is a gamble. I agree with pretty much everything you say and can see why many would say he would be a poor signing,but let's say we had just signed Bonis for for 350k or whatever it was the rumours were.

Does that guarantee goals? He might score 30 goals and be the league 1 god. He might get none and look way out of his depth.

It's a gamble

Warne, with history of promotion at this level, will have a rough idea of the type of squad we need, made up of players with certain characteristics required throughout the season.

Maybe him and his recruitment team think Rhodes still has something to offer. Something thst will help the club over the line.

Experience?

Goals?

Who knows.

If he puts his eggs in the "Rhodes will score 25 goals" basket and he fails spectacularly its his head on the block.

8 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

To be fair not sure I believe he had a spell at Sheffield Wednesday in this league but not certain. Just underwhelmed not a fan

I thought that was in the relegation season no? Or the season they were near the playoff?

There were many games, especially at home, last season where we had all the ball, all the play, all the pressure and for whatever reason just couldn't quite get the killer second goal or even first goal. Sure there were games were we smashed everything infront of us.

Maybe, someone with knowhow and a bit of guile and peno box quality would have gobbled up a few cut backs, balls in and made the pressure tell. We might need someone to simply slot a few 6 yard box balls into the net.

Maybe Rhodes is that man?

Or maybe not.

I don't know and to be honest nobody really does. Just guess and opinions.

I’m by no means twitching. But if we finish out our recruitment with more old players after Warne has repeatedly said about the age of the squad I will be annoyed. Youngest outfield player we have signed is 27 in Ward. We need more pace, not an ancient  poacher who doesn’t really poach anymore. 

Edited by Srg

9 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Not in the last 7 seasons though. Crap footballer small old and slow. Don’t get this one. I get Washington because he can run behind and stretch teams/create space for others.

Interesting analysis! "Crap!" ,that means nothing......"small?"-he's 6'1" tall....." old?"-he's 33,hardly at death's door! ..."slow"--not seen enough of him to comment.

Yes,we get it,you're not keen on signing him but if Paul Warne wants to sign him I'd rather rely on his judgment rather than your "assessment" 

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Has the window closed then and no one has told me?

Warne says he’ll settle for 3 strikers if he can’t 4 good’uns. 

Doesn’t matter who else he signs, if our 3 strikers are them then our goose is cooked.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’m by no means twitching. But if we finish out our recruitment with more old players after Warne has repeatedly said about the age of the squad I will be annoyed. Youngest outfield player we have signed is 27 in Ward. We need more pace, not an ancient  poacher who doesn’t really poach anymore. 

Kane Wilson is 23

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

57 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It’s like reading the David McGoldrick thread again! 😆

And Rhodes has scored twice as many goals in a similar number of games... He's a bit of a hold-it-up type now so perhaps similar to McG in his style - good players evolve to suit over time. Worked very well for McG and perhaps PW is looking at Rhodes in the same role. Or it's just a made-up link...

Rhodes? Where we're going we don't need Rhodes.

33 perhaps a bit too old, although McGoldrick had a cracking season. But I think if Warne was in charge last July we would never have signed him.

Rhodes, Sharpe I wonder what Freddy Eastwoods up to? Complete the set.

Jordan Rhodes would be an excellent signing for the pivot of an attacking three, but the two behind him would have to do a lot of his heavy lifting. He’s still producing a good goal to minute ratio, but he’s a luxury in the sense that he’s not going to touch the ball too often outside the box. 

For reference over the past five seasons - 

22/23 - Championship - a goal every 290 minutes
21/22 - Championship - a goal every 241 minutes
20/21 - Championship - a goal every 212 minutes
19/20 - Championship - a goal every 228 minutes
18/19 - Championship - a goal every 168 minutes

Sam Smith scored a goal every 283 minutes last season. Rhodes’ worse goals to minutes in the Championship is the exact same as McGoldrick’s career average - prior to his move to us it was a goal every 485 minutes in the Championship. 

Career averages - Championship: a goal every 188 minutes, League One: a goal every 127 minutes. 

He’s one of the best finishers that’s ever played in the Football League. I’m sure he’s lost some of his explosiveness but he’s very clever and will make movements beyond defenders at this level. He will score goals in this Derby team at this level, possibly even a lot of goals. The team will have to be set up for him. If he goes to Reading, Blackpool, Barnsley, Bolton, etc, then he becomes a huge problem to us. He’s a player I’d rather have on our side than the opposition, even if at times it looks like he’s stood reading a paper. 

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We're in League One with next to to money whatsoever.

There's absolutely nothing out there in the free agent market.

This bloke has scored just over 200 goals in just over 400 games and some of us are saying no.

I'm intrigued as to realistically you'd want us to sign? Or would fit in a wage budget? 

I'm not saying he's a world beater or I'd be excited. But it's league one. We are where we are. Personally think he could comfortably score between 10-15 goals at this level.

Also Knight hasn't even been gone a week yet and some people are panicking that we've not replaced him. 

I think people are entitled to feel a bit underwhelmed at us being linked to yet another 30 something journeyman forward. We are pouring money into the club via season ticket sales etc, we are apparently no longer under embargo and we’ve just sold Knight so surely there is enough finance to make it viable to sign someone relatively young and with a decent scoring record. Without investment up front of this kind I honestly don't think we’ll trouble the top six next season; we simply don’t have enough quality goal scorers. 

13 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Interesting analysis! "Crap!" ,that means nothing......"small?"-he's 6'1" tall....." old?"-he's 33,hardly at death's door! ..."slow"--not seen enough of him to comment.

Yes,we get it,you're not keen on signing him but if Paul Warne wants to sign him I'd rather rely on his judgment rather than your "assessment" 

Crap = 💩 (not very good)

Here’s some more analysis 

Rhodes does not compliment Washington and Collins it would be a terrible move and all we would be talking about every week is we desperately need a striker in January.

Bookmark or screenshot this 

IMG_8678.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I think people are entitled to feel a bit underwhelmed at us being linked to yet another 30 something journeyman forward. We are pouring money into the club via season ticket sales etc, we are apparently no longer under embargo and we’ve just sold Knight so surely there is enough finance to make it viable to sign someone relatively young and with a decent scoring record. Without investment up front of this kind I honestly don't think we’ll trouble the top six next season; we simply don’t have enough quality goal scorers. 

It’s pissed me off I don’t know if you have noticed! 🤣 But spot on what is going on?