Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

I thought he was after players in their peak years aged 25-27.  I'm not getting that at the minute. I hope this isn't a goer.  His last decent year was 2016 and he never had a lot as an actual footballer without the goals to fall back on.  He was good at getting ahead of a defender to score.-quite a few at one point.  Now he isn't. 

7 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

This could end up like when we signed Nugent instead of Watkins. 
Blackpool or Reading will probably get Nombe for 500-750k then sell him for Millions in a couple of years!

Are you auditioning for Carlsbergs little rays of sunshine ? … just a word … it didn’t go well

9 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

This could end up like when we signed Nugent instead of Watkins. 
Blackpool or Reading will probably get Nombe for 500-750k then sell him for Millions in a couple of years!

Stomachs just turned a bit reading that, I'd forgotten about that one!

2 hours ago, KBB said:

"Why have we signed Washington, he doesn't score goals. We need a goal scorer"

Get linked with a 1 in 2 striker with nearly 250 career goals who is widely regarded as a goal scorer.

"Yeah not him"

Nick Blackman was a prolific goal scorer, for 15 games. He scored 10 goals in a patch where anything he touched went in. He then went 3 months without scoring, it was still enough for Mel to be convinced he was the one to get us the goals.

It's similar to Rhodes. He was a prolific striker, back in 2009/10 when freddos were 10p and twitter wasn't a thing. Unfortunately he has now been a bit baron for the last 7 years. We are now interested in him after 7 years of pretty much nothing.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Are you auditioning for Carlsbergs little rays of sunshine ? … just a word … it didn’t go well

It might not happen. They’re probably lower paid recruitment teams may well go for Rhodes instead of a young, up and coming raw talent with potential resale value. 
you never know you never know 

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Nick Blackman was a prolific goal scorer, for 15 games. He scored 10 goals in a patch where anything he touched went in. He then went 3 months without scoring, it was still enough for Mel to be convinced he was the one to get us the goals.

It's similar to Rhodes. He was a prolific striker, back in 2009/10 when freddos were 10p and twitter wasn't a thing. Unfortunately he has now been a bit baron for the last 7 years. We are now interested in him after 7 years of pretty much nothing.

Rhodes was good when Freddo’s were 10p 👏🤣

Mixed feelings about this one. 5 years ago the thought of him signing would have definitely got me excited. He's 33 years old so certainly towards the end of his career but he has a physical presence, will occupy defenders and can hold up the ball. He has scored goals a much higher level too.

14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's similar to Rhodes. He was a prolific striker, back in 2009/10 when freddos were 10p and twitter wasn't a thing. Unfortunately he has now been a bit baron for the last 7 years. We are now interested in him after 7 years of pretty much nothing

That’s all fine, but then who? Sam Nombe is getting mentioned, again, his career average is a goal every 273 minutes in League One. He’s on the upward trajectory, but Exeter want £1m for him. Rhodes in his very worst season is 290 minutes per goal. Nick Blackman is a very poor comparison because he scored 20 championship goals in his entire career, Rhodes has over 120. You make him sound like a flash in the pan. 

If there is a more prolific striker out there, at a good age then I guarantee you he’s not coming to Derby. 

I thought after McGoldrick we would be more open to experienced strikers with a good record. In Rhodes, you probably have the most prolific goalscorer at this level in the past generation. I can’t think of one. He took the mantle from Kevin Phillips, in my opinion. 

Edited by Ambitious

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

That’s all fine, but then who? Sam Nombe is getting mentioned, again, his career average is a goal every 273 minutes in League One. He’s on the upward trajectory, but Exeter want £1m for him. Rhodes in his very worst season is 290 minutes per goal. Nick Blackman is a very poor comparison because he scored 20 championship goals in his entire career, Rhodes has over 120. You make him sound like a flash in the pan. 

If there is a more prolific striker out there, at a good age then I guarantee you he’s not coming to Derby. 

I thought after McGoldrick we would be more open to experienced strikers with a good record. In Rhodes, you probably have the most prolific goalscorer at this level in the past generation. I can’t think of one. He took the mantle from Kevin Phillips, in my opinion. 

I can see the logic and you are right the complete CF in his 20's with legs isn't going to come to us in league One.

We need another CF he is a proven goal scorer at a higher level. Hopefully we only give him a two year deal if he does come. 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Its a fair point.

I was a huge fan of Rhodes and used to dream of signing players like him, along with the Tom Cairneys of the world.

My disappointment isn't with Rhodes as such, it's at the potential of Warne saying one thing and doing another, a little bit like in January.

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Its a fair point.

I was a huge fan of Rhodes and used to dream of signing players like him, along with the Tom Cairneys of the world.

My disappointment isn't with Rhodes as such, it's at the potential of Warne saying one thing and doing another, a little bit like in January.

To fair to him maybe his first choice centre foward has gone else where and he has go to plan B with Rhodes?

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Its a fair point.

Agreed, me too. I text my mate when this rumour came up and said ‘this is a very Derby County signing’ because it is. 

My gut feeling is that the market just isn’t there for us in League One, because strikers with good records are few and far between and the ones with age on their side are on the shortlist of every Championship club. We can compete with some, but not all.

It then begs the question, how do we go about it? Washington was a player Warne knows and trusts for a nominal fee. Really, I’m fine with that signing as he is a relentless worker, but as it comes to our main striker - without spending big money on transfer fees then we have to be smart. Personally, I thought Alfie May was a no brainier at the price he was but obviously there were reservations on our end. Rhodes I understand the upside, and downside. I’d prefer to find a player at a good age, but I can’t see any that don’t A) come with a relatively big transfer fee B) injury risk and C) a consistent record and D) a good age. 

Ideally, we probably need to look abroad or roll the dice on a young player with a good pedigree like Tyreece John-Jules. Easy for us when our jobs aren’t on the line and Rhodes provides a proven track record at a low price. Godden too. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Agreed, me too. I text my mate when this rumour came up and said ‘this is a very Derby County signing’ because it is. 

My gut feeling is that the market just isn’t there for us in League One, because strikers with good records are few and far between and the ones with age on their side are on the shortlist of every Championship club. We can compete with some, but not all.

It then begs the question, how do we go about it? Washington was a player Warne knows and trusts for a nominal fee. Really, I’m fine with that signing as he is a relentless worker, but as it comes to our main striker - without spending big money on transfer fees then we have to be smart. Personally, I thought Alfie May was a no brainier at the price he was but obviously there were reservations on our end. Rhodes I understand the upside, and downside. I’d prefer to find a player at a good age, but I can’t see any that don’t A) come with a relatively big transfer fee B) injury risk and C) a consistent record and D) a good age. 

Ideally, we probably need to look abroad or roll the dice on a young player with a good pedigree like Tyreece John-Jules. Easy for us when our jobs aren’t on the line and Rhodes provides a proven track record at a low price. Godden too. 

I agree as well. Alfie May for me was the best centre foward available and on the move in league one. We will never know if we was in for him or not now.

Either way the season is round the corner and we need a proven goal scorer and if Rhodes is available on the cheap then I can see why Warne may be interested. Hopefully it wouldn't be a long contract.