Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

What looked like a great window is about to become another disappointing one. 
No enthusiasm for the season now. Another year in league one.
Bird, Cashin will be off next year to play for someone more ambitious like Millwall or Plymouth or maybe there’ll be off in January when they  realise we’re not going to make the playoffs again.

Edited by McMuffin

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As things currebtly look, we're going into the season with last season's backup CF being the new first choice. 

I didnt want to sign Mark Harris, but I'd much rsther hik than the likes of Rhodes. It's a very disappointing option, when promising youngsters such as Aaron Pressley are available for nothing.

I get that, I’ve said across the summer a couple of different options I’d have liked us to sign, my own view however is essentially “it is what it is”, there’ll be reasons we didn’t sign Smith or May (their geographical preferences etc) and there’s reasons we’ve signed Washington and may sign Rhodes. There’s still time for a younger option to be added for a fee of course.

I just don’t get the people pinning their hopes for the season on the striker. It’s a team sport, a squad game really, so having some options where we didn’t last season and a better depth/balance will help.
The wingbacks are clearly going to be a part of how we play, meaning maybe things will be a little more direct at times with crosses into the box, not all crosses need to be at head height. We may also then play through the attacking players behind the striker like how we ended last season. Different approaches to try and win as many games as possible.

Sibley, Barkhuizen, NML, Collins, Washington, Rhodes (if he signs), Hourihane, Ward and perhaps some from the defence all offer a goal threat. Personally I’m not as disappointed in this prospective signing as others are. 

42 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If it's a short deal, with no fee, I'm not wholly against this.

Yes I would have preferred a younger striker; someone for the future; a long term project for the club to invest in and maybe see a profit on, but I am starting to see a pattern in the players Warne is signing this summer: promotion.

He's signing proven quality at this level because we're absolutely going it for year and the only aim is to just get out of this league

Building for the future can start when we're in the Championship and in a better financial position with more pulling power (this is my guess as to what they're thinking behind the scenes).

I side on the "we'll see at the end of the window". If this is it, and this is our 3 strikers... then no, not happy.

13 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

What looked like a great window is about to become another disappointing one. 
No enthusiasm for the season now. Another year in league one.
Bird, Cashin will be off next year to play for someone more ambitious like Millwall or Plymouth or maybe there’ll be off in January when they  realise we’re not going to make the playoffs again.

Christ still 6 or so weeks left, if we are dealing in free transfer strikers there is not much to choose from. Like someone else mentioned earlier this season is about getting out of league 1 with proven experience and promotions under their belt. No one knows our budget deal with efl but can't imagine we have much to spend 

Just now, Srg said:

I side on the "we'll see at the end of the window". If this is it, and this is our 3 strikers... then no, not happy.

I know what you mean, but if we're only going to play with one striker, could you really see him signing another one?

To me it looks like Warne just wants players who are expert at being in the box in the right place at the right time. Poachers. Jordan Rhodes has probably been one of the best at that in the Championship for the last ten years, so I can see why he's gone for it.

But I do agree with you and I'm not impressed by it. If there's a fee I will be flabbergasted that we spent what little money we seem to have on him.

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I know what you mean, but if we're only going to play with one striker, could you really see him signing another one?

To me it looks like Warne just wants players who are expert at being in the box in the right place at the right time. Poachers. Jordan Rhodes has probably been one of the best at that in the Championship for the last ten years, so I can see why he's gone for it.

But I do agree with you and I'm not impressed by it. If there's a fee I will be flabbergasted that we spent what little money we seem to have on him.

Collins wasn't good enough last season and I don't share the faith some others seem to have. Even Warne himself dropped him.

We cried out for pace last year and we've not added any at the top end of the pitch. When Warne himself said that, and also said about the age of the squad, and then doesn't address that... something doesn't seem right.

For those reasons, I am hoping there's more movement to come.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's been a 1 in 7 striker since rejoining Huddersfield, a 1 in 5 striker at Sheff Weds before that and 1 in 6 at Norwich.

The last time he was a 1 in 2 striker was at Blackburn, who he left halfway through the 2015/16 season. Ross McCormack was a 1 in 2 striker back then too. Let's get him!

Warne rejected any chance of us signing Chris Martin due to not being a runner. Yet, he offers a lot more in general play and has a much better record in front of goal in recent seasons than Rhodes.

Its almost as if he talks a good game and that's ya lot.

After having a think about it if we get another striker say godden or Ladapo as well as a fee for a CAM I’d be ok with Rhodes. Our squad looks very similar style to Sheff Wed and looking at their forward line Michael Smith who happened to play for Warne did nothing for several years then scored 19 for Rotherham then 17 last season. I genuinely think Collins could get 15, Washington 10-15 and Rhodes 10-15 with enough creativity around them 

1 minute ago, simmoram1995 said:

After having a think about it if we get another striker say godden or Ladapo as well as a fee for a CAM I’d be ok with Rhodes. Our squad looks very similar style to Sheff Wed and looking at their forward line Michael Smith who happened to play for Warne did nothing for several years then scored 19 for Rotherham then 17 last season. I genuinely think Collins could get 15, Washington 10-15 and Rhodes 10-15 with enough creativity around them 

Which, by the way, we haven't added creativity either.

But if we end up with Collins (32), Washington (31), Rhodes (33) and Godden (32) then we might have the paciest strikeforce in the football league.

Rhodes becomes a good signing if we sign a couple of younger runners. Ladapo being the obvious one. 

A Dobbin type, but with an end product, another.

Without then it screams of desperation from a manager who used the age of the squad as one of the reasons we didn't succeed last year.

8 years ago and I would have been creaming my pants.

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Collins wasn't good enough last season and I don't share the faith some others seem to have. Even Warne himself dropped him.

We cried out for pace last year and we've not added any at the top end of the pitch. When Warne himself said that, and also said about the age of the squad, and then doesn't address that... something doesn't seem right.

For those reasons, I am hoping there's more movement to come.

Yeah this is my thoughts as well, we seem to have addressed none of the issues with the squad last season.

like you say hopefully is more to come.

If this happens, Warne needs to come out and clarify his age comments. As soon as McGoldrick left, we thought a #9 would be our main priority this season, combined with the comment about wanting players in the 23-28 age bracket, it was fair to assume we were aiming for our marquee signing to be a #9 in this mould.

If we then start the season then with our youngest striker being 31, that would be disappointing, but only because of what Warne said which has built expectations a bit...

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

Wouldn’t be against it but if this is Warnes 3 excellent strikers being Washington Rhodes and Collins then yikes, hopefully there’s another to come after 

Hate to say it mate but can you really see us bringing in 3 strikers to essentially fill one position?

If everyone is right and we're lining up in a 3-4-2-1 formation then he's not going to sign three strikers to all sit on the bench while one of them starts up front.

I think Rhodes is it. Missed out on Smith (perhaps) and moved quickly on Rhodes.

My hope now is that what money we do have to spend is spent on some 10s to add the much needed creativity that we are lacking. 

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

8 years ago and I would have been creaming my pants.

8 years ago Rhodes would have been a terrible signing for Derby.

We played with a lone striker (Martin) holding the ball up the ball up, winning free kicks and making clever layoffs to his teammates - Rhodes wouldn't have fit our way of playing.

Even if we'd forgone that setup, we also had Ince on the wing - notorious for cutting inside shooting himself rather than playing a teammate in, and rarely crossing the ball, Rhodes would get no service anyway. Ince & Rhodes is like one of the worst combination you could possible ever have had if you wanted a balanced team.

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

If this happens, Warne needs to come out and clarify his age comments. As soon as McGoldrick left, we thought a #9 would be our main priority this season, combined with the comment about wanting players in the 23-28 age bracket, it was fair to assume we were aiming for our marquee signing to be a #9 in this mould.

If we then start the season then with our youngest striker being 31, that would be disappointing, but only because of what Warne said which has built expectations a bit...

Warne doesnt need to clarify anything. He might .... but he doesnt need to.