Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

2 hours ago, taggy180 said:

Rhodes didn't travel with squad for there pre season camp and has hardly played under Warnock, sounds like another Kane Wilson type deal where Pearson wanted to get rid. I know he's 33 but Rhodes could be perfect with wing backs getting balls in the box and him being around the six yard box 

Spot on mate. Warne clearly wants these wing backs whipping balls in across the 6 yard box. I'd fancy Rhodes to score a few if we put the balls in the right area.

FWIW I do think we'll sign one more striker, possibly loan and maybe if we do have any money to spend we'll use it on a midfielder.

7 hours ago, McMuffin said:

This could end up like when we signed Nugent instead of Watkins. 
Blackpool or Reading will probably get Nombe for 500-750k then sell him for Millions in a couple of years!

We tried to sign Watkins  under Mac , Exeter rejected our deal and later took a lower one from Brentford. Nugent was a Rowett signing if my memory is correct. The two weren’t connected. 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Put in wrong name too early in morning

3 hours ago, taggy180 said:

Rhodes didn't travel with squad for there pre season camp and has hardly played under Warnock, sounds like another Kane Wilson type deal where Pearson wanted to get rid. I know he's 33 but Rhodes could be perfect with wing backs getting balls in the box and him being around the six yard box 

He could, but then you wonder why other clubs haven’t fancied him in recent years.

He doesn’t strike me as a player who is ready to play ninety minutes, or indeed to play more than about ten games.

Would be expensive as a sub. Let’s get a more mobile, reliable starter.  

8 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

As much as I think he’d do a good job for us and score goals, my main disappointment is that we’ll be spending money we’ve just got off selling knight and Bielik on an over 30 player with no sell on value.

Id much rather we invest in some youth who’s values will potentially increase. 

We can get a Lucas joao or assombalonga for free if we want an experienced player up top. No need to spend money on one. 

Rhoads could be a free transfer as well to be fair.

Given his age, year left on his deal, Huddersfield might be happy just to get his wages off the books.

Can't see Warne spending money on a transfer fee for a player that looks to be somewhere down the alphabet list of plans.

Feels like he's getting some stick here, yet without knowing what his intentions were at the start of the summer were and why some of those didn't come off.

I doubt any manager has a 100% success rate on plan A.

9 hours ago, KBB said:

"Why have we signed Washington, he doesn't score goals. We need a goal scorer"

Get linked with a 1 in 2 striker with nearly 250 career goals who is widely regarded as a goal scorer.

"Yeah not him"

He's been a 1 in 7 striker since rejoining Huddersfield, a 1 in 5 striker at Sheff Weds before that and 1 in 6 at Norwich.

The last time he was a 1 in 2 striker was at Blackburn, who he left halfway through the 2015/16 season. Ross McCormack was a 1 in 2 striker back then too. Let's get him!

Warne rejected any chance of us signing Chris Martin due to not being a runner. Yet, he offers a lot more in general play and has a much better record in front of goal in recent seasons than Rhodes.

11 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

If we’re going down this route he has no pace we would be better off going for Chris Martin. 
Didn’t warne say Martin wasn’t his sort of player? How is Rhodes then he can’t run or press or hasn’t got any pace?

Martin and Rhodes are completely different strikers. Martin is more of a hold up player who creates for runners off him. We'd need midfield runners around him.

That isn't Rhodes game and never has been. Rhodes has always come alive inside the box and he's pretty much a 1 in 2.5 striker.

The reason he hasn't played under Warnock was because Huddersfield are not creating chances in games. So having a striker who feeds off balls coming in the box when you are barely putting any in is a waste of time. 

As we all know. Warne wants crosses in the box. So playing to his strengths would probably result in goals for him. 

It was a reason why Collins didn't score as many last season as he was dropping deep to get involved. Needed to be more selfish and get in the box.

Washington will do a lot of the running. 

I personally think we'll sign one more striker anyway and if Rhodes is one of the four then I would be happy with that 

14 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

If we’re going down this route he has no pace we would be better off going for Chris Martin. 
Didn’t warne say Martin wasn’t his sort of player? How is Rhodes then he can’t run or press or hasn’t got any pace?

I don't think pace is the issue, otherwise why would we have been offering McGoldrick a new deal.

Warne said he likes his forwards to press, can Rhoads do that? I'm not sure, but it's not about pace.

48 minutes ago, David said:

Rhoads could be a free transfer as well to be fair.

Given his age, year left on his deal, Huddersfield might be happy just to get his wages off the books.

Can't see Warne spending money on a transfer fee for a player that looks to be somewhere down the alphabet list of plans.

Feels like he's getting some stick here, yet without knowing what his intentions were at the start of the summer were and why some of those didn't come off.

I doubt any manager has a 100% success rate on plan A.

If plan B or C is Collins, Washington and Rhodes then I’m asking serious questions. 

Rightly or wrongly once the restrictions were off and with Weds and Ipswich going up a lot of us thought that HMS pish the league was in full swing. We’re not pishing anything with our current forward options and that’s including Rhodes.

17 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

If plan B or C is Collins, Washington and Rhodes then I’m asking serious questions. 

Rightly or wrongly once the restrictions were off and with Weds and Ipswich going up a lot of us thought that HMS pish the league was in full swing. We’re not pishing anything with our current forward options and that’s including Rhodes.

That’s partly the reason people are so disappointed with a tenuous link to Jordan Rhodes. Personal expectations contrasting with reality.
Don’t expect too much and then you’ll be less disappointed, then if/when things do work out it’s all the more enjoyable because expectations have been exceeded. 
One of the big criticisms people had last season was the lack of options up front at the back end of the season. IF we’re in for Rhodes it means we have at least 3 strikers with time to add a 4th. Warne has always maintained it’s about the squad and that he doesn’t guarantee starts, so it’s feasible Rhodes could join and play those last 10-20 mins of games when we need to nick a win, not that he’s going to be the “main man”.
Some people seem so hung up on us replacing McGoldrick with another player in terms of output, for me it’s all about having balance and depth in the squad to cope across the season, having 3/4 options up front, in a side that’s seemingly being set up for high pressing percentage football makes sense. I get the football purists want to see McGoldrick like creativity of thought and silky skills…I just don’t think that’s what this season will be about.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

10 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I mean that has to be wrongly to assume we would piss the league.

Going into a season with that mentality would always end up in disappointment.

Maybe these uninspiring signings, lower the expectations thus giving the team more patience.

Ok, who am I kidding 😂

My only thoughts are this, Warne has been down here, got the t shirt, the medals and knows what's required.

Whilst the squad might look uninspiring on paper, we all know it's played on grass. Those 3 could instantly hit it off and HMS piss the league is back on.

13 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

I think this is done

If it's a short deal, with no fee, I'm not wholly against this.

Yes I would have preferred a younger striker; someone for the future; a long term project for the club to invest in and maybe see a profit on, but I am starting to see a pattern in the players Warne is signing this summer: promotion.

He's signing proven quality at this level because we're absolutely going it for year and the only aim is to just get out of this league

Building for the future can start when we're in the Championship and in a better financial position with more pulling power (this is my guess as to what they're thinking behind the scenes).

17 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

I think this is done

Would this complete the “three decent strikers” that Warne mentioned?

I hope that plans have changed because I don’t think that Rhodes, Collins & Washington is enough. If we could add one younger, quality striker to that, even on loan, then it might work with the 4 of them competing for two positions. Add a creative, young attacking midfielder behind them and I’m sure we’d score goals.

Either way, I think we’re still two bodies short, even with Rhodes coming in.

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s partly the reason people are so disappointed with a tenuous link to Jordan Rhodes. Personal expectations contrasting with reality.
Don’t expect too much and then you’ll be less disappointed, then if/when things do work out it’s all the more enjoyable because expectations have been exceeded. 
One of the big criticisms people had last season was the lack of options up front at the back end of the season. IF we’re in for Rhodes it means we have at least 3 strikers with time to add a 4th. Warne has always maintained it’s about the squad and that he doesn’t guarantee starts, so it’s feasible Rhodes could join and play those last 10-20 mins of games when we need to nick a win, not that he’s going to be the “main man”.
Some people seem so hung up on us replacing McGoldrick with another player in terms of output, for me it’s all about having balance and depth in the squad to cope across the season, having 3/4 options up front, in a side that’s seemingly being set up for high pressing percentage football makes sense. I get the football purists want to see McGoldrick like creativity of thought and silky skills…I just don’t think that’s what this season will be about.

As things currebtly look, we're going into the season with last season's backup CF being the new first choice. 

I didnt want to sign Mark Harris, but I'd much rsther hik than the likes of Rhodes. It's a very disappointing option, when promising youngsters such as Aaron Pressley are available for nothing.