Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You seriously believe Rhodes is on that level of salary - wow!

Four websites I've looked at have him on anything between £8k and £11k a week - where does your figure come from?

Rhodes is arguably the most prolific striker of the Championship era - he was extremely well paid while at Wednesday, went to Norwich on loan and helped them win promotion, he then rejoined Huddersfield at the end of his deal - on a believed to be handsome contract. He is Huddersfield’s top earner and their wage bill last season was in excess of £20m. I would say with some confidence that his wage is going to beyond £1m per annum. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Not a chance, Not with Huddersfield in the championship, after 4 poor seasons. I'd imagine nearer £10k a week 

Mmmh. I will go with £15k. It’s all guesswork. How much do you think Chris Martin got for going to Bristol City or Martin Waghorn to Coventry - all of them on free transfers.  I bet Martin and Waghorn’s terms were £10k+

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Rhodes is arguably the most prolific striker of the Championship era - he was extremely well paid while at Wednesday, went to Norwich on loan and helped them win promotion, he then rejoined Huddersfield at the end of his deal - on a believed to be handsome contract. He is Huddersfield’s top earner and their wage bill last season was in excess of £20m. I would say with some confidence that his wage is going to beyond £1m per annum. 

He is nowhere near being Huddersfields' top earner, Anjorin and Lowton are way above any other player in the squad. Their wage bill, last season is reported to have been between £11m & £12.5m. 

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

He is nowhere near being Huddersfields' top earner, Anjorin and Lowton are way above any other player in the squad. Their wage bill, last season is reported to have been between £11m & £12.5m. 

That is a mistake I think by Salary Sport. I would imagine that is their wage at their parent clubs.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

With all due respect, you’re reading a website that is wildly inaccurate. The wage bill by companies house data was in excess £20m in 21/22. It’s the same website that had Hayden Roberts’ wage down as £38k a week last year. Consider Forest reported wages from their promotion year using the same website - £22.4m per annum - companies house data has it at £58.5m. If you’re even looking to use it as a reference point, in that instance it was 260% out. 

Tina Anjorin, the poor sod, seems to have been subject to the same nonsense as Hayden Roberts. He signed his deal at 18 years old, why on god’s green earth would Chelsea pay him £27k a week - he hadn’t even properly broke into their U21(U23) side at that point. 

Bear in mind Huddersfield still had parachute payments propping them up when Rhodes signed them as a free agent in 2021. And he joined them in May, meaning his deal was all lined up well in advance; he wasn’t scrabbling for a club as deadline day approached. All points to a sizeable salary.

But then we did sign Hourihane from a Premier League club last summer, so we can’t be offering peanuts either. 

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If we are in for Rhodes and he was quibbling for two weeks over a couple of thousand a week after 10 years of averaging top dollar championship wages, he's probably not the guy for the job.  Leave him on Huddersfield's bench in that case and move along

I fear you have been reading too many romantic novels this summer… ALL players are guns for hire and largely at any club for the pay cheques. I doubt Rhodes - or any of this summer’s new recruits for that matter - see playing for Derby as an honour.

And the ‘quibbling’ is more likely over £500k - the difference between his contract at Huddersfield and his likely salary for the coming season elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

I fear you have been reading too many romantic novels this summer… ALL players are guns for hire and largely at any club for the pay cheques. I doubt Rhodes - or any of this summer’s new recruits for that matter - see playing for Derby as an honour.

I agree that players obviously need to push for as much money as possible but I don't agree that the signings don't see Derby as a decent move. I'm not delusional and saying we're a huge club but we've got the history, decent ground, decent fans (in that we're not too demanding) and the training facilities are top class.

Obviously I'm biased but I don't think there's a L1 club close to having our combination of infrastructure, fan base and history (Bolton have the history but little else, maybe Portsmouth too). I doubt these lads would have signed for Cheltenham Town even if they paid 20%+ more in wages. Would you want your legacy to have DCFC on it or Fleetwood Town...? 

So I do think, given where these lads have come from, they would see playing for us as an honour. Have you see Luton's ground...?! 😉

13 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

I agree that players obviously need to push for as much money as possible but I don't agree that the signings don't see Derby as a decent move. I'm not delusional and saying we're a huge club but we've got the history, decent ground, decent fans (in that we're not too demanding) and the training facilities are top class.

Obviously I'm biased but I don't think there's a L1 club close to having our combination of infrastructure, fan base and history (Bolton have the history but little else, maybe Portsmouth too). I doubt these lads would have signed for Cheltenham Town even if they paid 20%+ more in wages. Would you want your legacy to have DCFC on it or Fleetwood Town...? 

So I do think, given where these lads have come from, they would see playing for us as an honour. Have you see Luton's ground...?! 😉

@StarterForTen didn’t say a transfer to Derby wouldn’t be a decent move. Just that, and I agree, for the vast majority of players they will follow the money. Term of contract might well be their second consideration. The actual club they are being offered would no doubt be a consideration but no where near as important unless they have a particular affiliation with that club. I’m pretty sure if it came to a choice between a one year contract at Derby on say £6,000 a week or a two year contract at somewhere like Wrexham on £10,000 a week (made up figures and made up alternative club before anyone questions my source or shoots me down) a player wouldn’t have to think too hard. Strangely, with such a scenario, in the post signing interview the player would say what a great club Wrexham is, they’ve always admired the manage etc 😀

The thing with Waggy as a free agent is that he's on £0 a week... I agree he wouldn't be a starter ...I agree he'd get 10+ goals a season at this level...and also agree that he'd give us depth to the squad... which we don't have on the front line. Not an ideal but younger more prolific players don't exist at this level...

38 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Where a player spends a lot of his work time. Plus if you're coming to the end of your career you'd want top medical facilities on offer and perhaps even to know if something bad happened the Club would do 'it's best for you'.

I bet the squabbling is over the pay-off he'd get from Huddersfield - loyalty payment etc, rather than the wages from us or someone else.

40 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Ask Jack Marriott the proud owner of both on his CV 

13 hours ago, Chester40 said:

ORRRR....

We may not be able to sign players who could potentially be playing in the Championship and command a relatively sizeable fee...

But we may be able to add players who admittedly may be tipping into their twilight years - but who have performed at this level and above and will bolster the squad, provide different options and provide some confidence and know-how around the squad ...without breaking the bank.

You sound altogether far to responsible and measured to be posting on here. 

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Except the wage is believed to closer to £25-30k than £8k. 

Principle still applies, it just becomes ever more unlikely it will happen.  I’ve seen many different salary quotes in here - I personally have no idea what is nearer the truth 

2 hours ago, Terry Hennessy said:

The thing with Waggy as a free agent is that he's on £0 a week... I agree he wouldn't be a starter ...I agree he'd get 10+ goals a season at this level...and also agree that he'd give us depth to the squad... which we don't have on the front line. Not an ideal but younger more prolific players don't exist at this level...

If he’s not going to be a regular starter but still contributes 10+ a season then it should be a no brainer for a one year deal at least (subject to wages of course). The big question though is would he really score 10+ goals?

If the events that have happened so far are true, e.g., Rhodes has been to the training ground, shown around etc. then I find it very unlikely that agreements around wages wouldn’t have been discussed already.

You look at deals these days and personal terms are agreed long before transfer fees are.

There may have been some wiggle room either side for how much Rhodes wants, but if it takes this long to reach an agreement over wages then I’d be worried that the player isn’t coming for the right reasons. We aren’t a club that gives players one last payday anymore. Even if we are signing players who have been there done that, but are past their best days, they should still be joining because they want to achieve something here beyond anything else. I like that Warne values that so much, I don’t think he’d allow someone who is in it for themselves to join, so I trust that anybody we sign ultimately has the right motivation above anything else.

If the hold-up is on Hudds’ end, then fair enough but we can’t wait forever. He’s a fringe player for them, if he wants to be here & we want him, then it’ll happen. If not, then I hope we focus our attentions elsewhere pretty soon.