Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From a 3rd or even 4th choice CF, it doesn't necessarily matter how many goals they get. 

I think back to 18/19 when Nugent was our 3rd choice CF. He played in 31 games that season, averaging about 36 minutes in them. He only scored 2 goals (and 2 assists), none of which came after September. With him in the side, we picked up 0.21 ppg more than without him.

My concern isn't his ability to score goals, it's his ability to press effectively in a physically demanding Warne team whilst leaving himself enough in the tank to retain some quality on the ball.

Nugent was clearly effective at that side of things but it doesn't necessarily mean that Waghorn would be. That stat about us gaining more points per game with Nugent is cool, but one of the players he was (occasionally) acting as backup for was Waghorn himself (23 appearances as at CF) which doesn't exactly fill me with too much hope of Waghorn performing the reverse role 4-5 years later.

Besides, Nugent was creating space for Wilson, Mount, Lawrence etc, before that he he was doing the donkey work for Vydra. We don't exactly have League One equivalent (although I guess we could call Bird a League One Mount!?)

18 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

My concern isn't his ability to score goals, it's his ability to press effectively in a physically demanding Warne team whilst leaving himself enough in the tank to retain some quality on the ball...

Looked better at it than Collins in the Stoke game imho and I'm not a Waghorn fan. Has a better idea of where to press and looked faster over the ground than Collins.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

My concern isn't his ability to score goals, it's his ability to press effectively in a physically demanding Warne team whilst leaving himself enough in the tank to retain some quality on the ball.

Nugent was clearly effective at that side of things but it doesn't necessarily mean that Waghorn would be. That stat about us gaining more points per game with Nugent is cool, but one of the players he was (occasionally) acting as backup for was Waghorn himself (23 appearances as at CF) which doesn't exactly fill me with too much hope of Waghorn performing the reverse role 4-5 years later.

Besides, Nugent was creating space for Wilson, Mount, Lawrence etc, before that he he was doing the donkey work for Vydra. We don't exactly have League One equivalent (although I guess we could call Bird a League One Mount!?)

I just prefer to remember Nuge for the hat trick, the bicep tough guy moment and his obvious all round pleasure in playing the great game. Yes in the later part of his stay with us he went off the boil and couldn’t finish for toffee. Accepting that and knowing his days were done I still won’t forget the all round brightness he brought with him. Good bloke, good footballer. 

On 26/07/2023 at 08:04, Tamworthram said:

I’m pretty sure if it came to a choice between a one year contract at Derby on say £6,000 a week or a two year contract at somewhere like Wrexham on £10,000 a week (made up figures and made up alternative club before anyone questions my source or shoots me down) a player wouldn’t have to think too hard. Strangely, with such a scenario, in the post signing interview the player would say what a great club Wrexham is, they’ve always admired the manage etc 😀

That's quite a stretch on the numbers there - not really my point. To use your numbers, if it was £6k pw at Derby or £7k or maybe even £8k pw at Wrexham then you'd imagine an older player, who should already have some money behind him, will go for the bigger club. Also, we've (arguably) got a better chance of promotion so you can imagine bonuses coming into play (even on one year contracts).

20 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

That's quite a stretch on the numbers there - not really my point. To use your numbers, if it was £6k pw at Derby or £7k or maybe even £8k pw at Wrexham then you'd imagine an older player, who should already have some money behind him, will go for the bigger club. Also, we've (arguably) got a better chance of promotion so you can imagine bonuses coming into play (even on one year contracts).

Interesting. You said “to use your numbers” but then used different numbers.😀

Regardless, I did say they were made up. Regarding older players, it seems any amount of money is never too much (see the Saudi thread). I reckon most, not all, would be looking for one last pay day. If that’s a two year rather than a one year deal on more money then it ticks a couple of boxes. A “bigger” club could well be a factor as could playing at a higher level. Maybe Rhodes (assuming we’re even in for him) would be quite interested in coming to Derby but is waiting to see if any offers come in from championship clubs.

Apologies though, I did miss your point a little but, having said that, I really don’t think older players that have played at championship and above would really consider it an “honour” to play for Derby. I’m sure they’d quite like to play for the “biggest” club they could but not we’re not exactly Barcelona or Real Madrid. We might be the biggest (by probably every measure) in league one but we’re hardly head and shoulders above many Championship clubs.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Interesting. You said “to use your numbers” but then used different numbers.😀

Ok, I meant your scale of numbers. My point was that I was suggesting 20% difference in my original post and you were suggesting almost double - that's my point - that you were exaggerating to illustrate your point. 😉

With regard to being an honour - I think when Sonny looks back on his CV he'll be more proud of having DCFC on there than Luton assuming they disappear down the leagues again! 😉

16 minutes ago, caymanram said:

There hasn’t actually been any news about this supposed transfer for quite a while … maybe it’s now just dead and we move on …

You poor, deranged fool! He'll clearly be announced as part of a triple signing with Chris Martin and a german centre half any day now. Someone on twitter saw them buying matching patio sets in B&Q.

7 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

You poor, deranged fool! He'll clearly be announced as part of a triple signing with Chris Martin and a german centre half any day now. Someone on twitter saw them buying matching patio sets in B&Q.

I can forgive the German centre half but the other two should know Homebase has a sale on patio sets 🤣

37 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I can forgive the German centre half but the other two should know Homebase has a sale on patio sets 🤣

We must be over-paying then. More money than sense. Boooo. Clowes out, Warne out, bins out.