Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)

IslandExile

Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went for could have been better, but needs more time. If you asked me in Jan I would have said he's doing an outstanding job. Asked me before Fleetwood I would have said he's doing OK. I hope by the end of the season I am not thinking of option 4.

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Warne, and to a degree Barker, were footballers in the lower leagues (Div 1 & 2), who through hard work and high professional standards had pretty good careers. Fans liked them because they gave it their all, and were no doubt good characters. They bring the same mentality into their management roles, but they have the same limitations they had as footballers. I think it unlikely that they have the wherewithal to succeed at Championship level, nor be able to offer any significant technical insight into player development via the Academy structure.

After Quantuma packed their backs and F'd the F off I was confident I wouldn't see or hear the word wherewithal ever again.

Darn it

On 11/03/2023 at 20:02, Ramarena said:

Yep………This is clearly evidence of a complete implosion!

McG and Knight are actually on strike, nothing will convince me otherwise.

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Warne, and to a degree Barker, were footballers in the lower leagues (Div 1 & 2), who through hard work and high professional standards had pretty good careers. Fans liked them because they gave it their all, and were no doubt good characters. They bring the same mentality into their management roles, but they have the same limitations they had as footballers. I think it unlikely that they have the wherewithal to succeed at Championship level, nor be able to offer any significant technical insight into player development via the Academy structure.

That logic rarely holds weight.  The best players don't make good managers. Some of the best had very modest playing careers. Venga played amateur in France, Mourinho div 3 in Portugal, the last English manager to win the prem Howard Wilkinson was at Boston for most of his playing career. 

I'm fairly happy with the position we are in given the restrictions put on the club. The run of wins raised expectations  way too high, but I'm hoping we will at least turn the form around a little and make the play offs. Warne is doing a good job, in difficult circumstances, so I'm happy with him.

My biggest concern is the risk of losing Knight in particular, with him entering the last year of his contract, then this summer will be the time to get decent money for him, which we might not be able to say no to. If he goes will Warne be allowed to use the cash to replace him? Also the Bielek situation is a huge financial millstone round our necks for another season potentially.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

90% of posters when we win today:

Excited Seinfeld GIF

10% of posters:

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

I mean it's OK, but as usual over-egging a potential victory over the worst team/s in the league and pretending that people who don't aren't even happy to have won.

Reality be more like...

10% of posters:

x-pac suck it GIF by WWE

Trash Talk Shut Up GIF by UFC

The Blues Brothers Church GIF

80% of posters:

Excited On My Way GIF by American Kennel Club

10% of posters:

Happy Adam GIF by Gogglebox Australia

Selina Meyer Veep Season 6 GIF by Veep HBO

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, but that’s like saying Brighton and Brentford shouldn’t be comfortable with being in the Premier League because their natural level in terms of club size and stature is probably lower Championship/high League 1. Yet they are in the Premier League, they are flourishing, and deservedly so.

If we ‘shouldn’t really be here’ and we are ‘better than that’, then surely we have to prove it and show it? It’s all hot air if we finish 8th. Perhaps that’s the problem - the reality of where we are and how good we are in football terms doesn’t line up with our long-held perception.

Yes, in size, stature and history, we are a Premier League club in the making. But if you strip all of that back and you are left with what’s on the pitch, it’s a League One squad looking right at home at this level. That’s what counts.

Yes, we have plenty of players with Championship experience, but I don’t think many (if any) of them have proven themselves week in, week out to be too good for this level.

So do we have anything to be arrogant about?

It’s not the same as Brighton or Brentford at all Jourdan 

We are not a League1 club and if you want us to be here for years to come then yes let’s think we’re a league1 club 

we are DCFC and although we like every other club has no entitlements  we should act like one of the big teams because we are ….

or do you want us to get used to this division and spend years here?

winners sometimes come across as having a certain arrogance and that’s what we need in some ways 

Brentford and Bournemouth are punching above their weight and good luck to them but they’re not doing it thinking like a championship or league 1 club …when you step up you have to up your game to compete when you step down you don’t step your game down and join the pack …I personally want us to have an aura about us ..we are Derby County not Forest Green or Shrewsbury Town …

14 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I agree with this …I think Warne and Barker are great people who care and you can rely on but hard graft and putting the miles in is only part of the equation 

it is a fact that the higher you go in the football pyramid in any country or league the technical, tactical, standard of play and players gets better 

Warne is a top fella ( I really don’t get any criticism levelled at him for being friendly and open ) but he has had zero success above league1 level that’s a fact 

Bournemouth under Eddie Howe for example took most of the league1 side with them and had great success in the championship and then stayed in the premier league with some players that had played in league2 with Bournemouth 

That wasn’t a fluke they scored something like 100 goals the season they went up I think they beat Birmingham 8-0 away so it can be done but PW and his team have a lot to prove above L1 level 

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We have lost less than 30% of our league games this season and you are worried about a losing culture being developed?

We’re on a bad run. All teams experience them. Let’s not overblow it. When we were 15 games unbeaten, we knew it had to end at some point. This is no different.

The summer will be an almost complete reset and so much will change that the possibility of us suffering a hangover from this season is almost slim to none.

Please stop with the scaremongering, especially as we can still go on a winning run and we still have a shot at a Wembley promotion and a very successful end to the season. 

Now if we were to lose another 4-5 between now and May, then this kind of thinking would hold a lot more weight. But what is the likelihood of that?

Don’t tell me what to do or stop doing as a fan. 

I’m not calling for anyone’s head but you’re burying your head in the sand. ‘You’re only as good as your last game’ is the saying. if you go unbeaten for the first 20 matches of the season and sit comfortably on 45 points whilst losing the next ten matches in a row do you sit there and say ‘well we’ve only lost 33% of our matches this season. It’s fine’ or do you think ‘wow this run of form is concerning’ ? 

Obviously an extreme scenario but the point stands. It’s perfectly acceptable to be concerned about the poor run that we’re on. Relegation form is relegation form regardless of how good the unbeaten run was. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2023 at 23:44, Rev said:

He's a goner, this poll is just the start.

We'll slip away from this point onwards, and the atmosphere at Pride Park will turn toxic by seasons end, leaving his position untenable. 

Luckily, Nigel is out of contract come the summer, and will return to lead us back into the Championship within the next 10 years.

Clocks ticking.

59 minutes ago, Rev said:

Clocks ticking.

The BBC stats give us 30% possession of the ball against a mid table League 1 team. This tells me all I need to know about the style and quality of our football.

Warne seems like a bright bloke, he surely must realise that the game of football is not just about running. If you constantly give the ball back to the other team, sooner or later they are going to score a goal or three. Yes, they scored with a dodgy injury time penalty but they were always going to score at least one goal and I would say we were lucky to come away with a point.

If we control possession of the ball we control the game and the penalty doesn’t arise. IF we have the ball they don’t score, ability/skill, strength and fitness are ALL important and I don’t get the obsession with running. Pretty sure Chris Martin wouldn’t get into a PW team!

What I have seen so far under Warne’s tenure makes me have serious concerns about the direction we are going in. The style is very reminiscent of the Clough years but without the nurturing of the better young players such as Sibley, Bird and Thompson.  It’s not entertaining or good to watch and let us not forget that DCFC are in the entertainment business and some of the less committed fans will sooner or later vote with their feet if this continues into nextseason.

I reckon he has done reasonably well

He arrived having been given a small group of players that he didn’t choose and no means to bring any in.

He adapted our play from suicidal “play from the back” - we didn’t have the quality or pace to execute that style with any degree of aplomb. Instead, he made us more flexible and able to switch styles and not be too fixed in a particular system.

He rode the big day out syndrome, got us fitter and some more miles out of aging maestros, made us competitive and went on a good mid season winning run.

He persists in reverting to wing backs because he likes the concept, but doesn’t seem to accept  that this is flawed when your wide players and support players are not the young guns they once were and our CB’s are either inexperienced or alternatively at the end of their careers. He hasn’t really acknowledged that we get bullied. This is a tough man’s league; I have noticed time and again that we seem to be physically lightweight compared to our opponents, both in height and muscle. The only way round this, to my mind, is to keep the ball on the ground which he doesn’t do or encourage enough. 

There is a lot here that is beyond his control so in the balance of aspects I think he’s done a good job but  far from faultless. I also like his honesty clichee free openness. 

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

The BBC stats give us 30% possession of the ball against a mid table League 1 team. This tells me all I need to know about the style and quality of our football.

Warne seems like a bright bloke, he surely must realise that the game of football is not just about running. If you constantly give the ball back to the other team, sooner or later they are going to score a goal or three. Yes, they scored with a dodgy injury time penalty but they were always going to score at least one goal and I would say we were lucky to come away with a point.

Do you remember when we used to have a far greater share of the possession under Cocu and Rooney, then you looked at the stats and the quality possession was oft shuffling the ball across the back line crab like then back again and so on.

But not actually generating any progression or hurting the opposition.

Which then sometimes resulted in a suicidal backpass to our goalie leading to a goal for the opposition. Or our goalie piddling around with possession on his 6 yard or across his penalty area leading to the same outcome. 

So stats can be very misleading used in isolation.

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

If we control possession of the ball we control the game and the penalty doesn’t arise. IF we have the ball they don’t score, ability/skill, strength and fitness are ALL important and I don’t get the obsession with running. Pretty sure Chris Martin wouldn’t get into a PW team!

What I have seen so far under Warne’s tenure makes me have serious concerns about the direction we are going in. The style is very reminiscent of the Clough years but without the nurturing of the better young players such as Sibley, Bird and Thompson.  It’s not entertaining or good to watch and let us not forget that DCFC are in the entertainment business and some of the less committed fans will sooner or later vote with their feet if this continues into nextseason.

Plymouth had 37% possession and Barnsley, despite winning handsomely (and missing a penalty) only had 41%.

It’s OK to surrender possession away from home provided you created and score a few chances and/or prevent the opposition from scoring even if they have most of the ball. Sadly, two things we’re incapable of at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Plymouth had 37% possession and Barnsley, despite winning handsomely (and missing a penalty) only had 41%.

It’s OK to surrender possession away from home provided you created and score a few chances and/or prevent the opposition from scoring even if they have most of the ball. Sadly, two things we’re incapable of at the moment.

The difference may be in what you do with the ball when you have it. I would suggest that our preferred tactic at the moment is to immediately kick the ball up the pitch and run after it, perhaps with the aim of winning the 2nd ball. This tactic will not get you very far against the better sides which probably explains our poor results against top half teams.

The Plymouth and Barnsley statistics suggest that when they get the ball it’s passed forward rather than hoofed forward with the purpose of getting their best attacking players on the ball. A big difference.

14 minutes ago, chadlad said:

The Plymouth and Barnsley statistics suggest that when they get the ball it’s passed forward rather than hoofed forward with the purpose of getting their best attacking players on the ball. A big difference.

I genuinely don't know how you can infer that by just looking at the top level stats. 

Plymouth and Barnsley may also have shuffled the ball across their back line and so on to generate that additional level of possession. We simply don't know just by referring to the raw stats. 

Some teams may be quite comfortable allowing the opposition that level of possession if it's concentrated mainly in the opposition half. 

29 minutes ago, chadlad said:

The difference may be in what you do with the ball when you have it. I would suggest that our preferred tactic at the moment is to immediately kick the ball up the pitch and run after it, perhaps with the aim of winning the 2nd ball. This tactic will not get you very far against the better sides which probably explains our poor results against top half teams.

Exactly. So it's not necessarily possession that matters. As @Tyler Durden says, it's what you do with the ball when you've got it and how well you defend when you haven't that matters.