Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)

IslandExile

Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, jono said:

...There is a lot here that is beyond his control so in the balance of aspects I think he’s done a good job but  far from faultless. I also like his honesty clichee free openness. 

He has some good players in a size squad he prefers. There is plenty within his control. He has played and dropped and changed players positions at will.

As for the self-effacing honesty, it's its own cliche. Not sure about the openness either. 

3 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Glad to see that common sense is still prevailing in the actual poll.

In a years time, if we are no further forward, then in my opinion his position should be under threat.

Depends on your definition of "further forward" and how, if at all, the restrictions within our business plan are relaxed. If we don't make it this year then obviously we all want automatics next season or, at the very least, firmly in the play offs. However disappointing it might be, I'm not sure calling for his head if we're 7th and only one point outside of the play offs is the answer given the continuing restrictions we will face. As depressing as it may seem, summer 2024 could well be the first transfer window when we're actually allowed to pay a transfer fee.

46 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Exactly. So it's not necessarily possession that matters. As @Tyler Durden says, it's what you do with the ball when you've got it and how well you defend when you haven't that matters.

Agreed, I am not suggesting possession for the sake of it but the better sides in this league will try and hurt you when they win the ball and not simply lump it up top. We have players who can deal with the ball in tight situations with their back to goal but our current tactics don’t allow for it. During our unbeaten run it seemed to me that we played in a direct but much more purposeful way by passing the ball when we had it.

Our only option now seems to be to hit it over the top behind their defenders for our aging strikers to chase down. Inevitably it comes straight back, we then have to defend again and try again to win the ball back. Sooner or later they score, sometimes more than once.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

He has some good players in a size squad he prefers. There is plenty within his control. He has played and dropped and changed players positions at will.

As for the self-effacing honesty, it's its own cliche. Not sure about the openness either. 

Fair enough Roy, it is all about opinions. I’d say he was chopping and changing players to find the right blend. We’d probably be saying why doesn’t he try X, or he’s fixated on Y if he had just stuck with one basic set up.

As to the openness, what else could he do that he hasn’t done ? . He rarely has a big ref moan, yeah the odd grumble, but he’s not a blame the players/ref excuse maker; he talks freely about the responsibilities of the coaching team, doesn’t lambast players publicly or slate the opposition unduly. He’s the most interesting Derby manager I have listened to for a long time. That  doesn’t equate to genius of course, but you do get an insight in to the man, far more than many of those in recent times. 

Built and improved us to a point where we looked a very good side. Wheels fell off. Went to his preferred formation, no improvement.

He gets a pass because it's not his team, but this last two months have been excruciating, when we've played well, we've contrived to blow it. When we haven't we've looked awful.

He gets next season too, whatever.

13 minutes ago, jono said:

Fair enough Roy, it is all about opinions. I’d say he was chopping and changing players to find the right blend. We’d probably be saying why doesn’t he try X, or he’s fixated on Y if he had just stuck with one basic set up.

As to the openness, what else could he do that he hasn’t done ? . He rarely has a big ref moan, yeah the odd grumble, but he’s not a blame the players/ref excuse maker; he talks freely about the responsibilities of the coaching team, doesn’t lambast players publicly or slate the opposition unduly. He’s the most interesting Derby manager I have listened to for a long time. That  doesn’t equate to genius of course, but you do get an insight in to the man, far more than many of those in recent times. 

I think this is fair comment. 

I think the problem looking forwards is, we want to give our manager the time to build his own team on his terms. However the inexplicable decisions are building up and giving a lot of people concerns about giving him that time to build.

Personally I think we need to give him that time. But I worry he has burned through some goodwill and if he doesn’t hit the ground running next season, the knives will really be out.

45 minutes ago, jono said:

...As to the openness, what else could he do that he hasn’t done ? . He rarely has a big ref moan, yeah the odd grumble, but he’s not a blame the players/ref excuse maker; he talks freely about the responsibilities of the coaching team, doesn’t lambast players publicly or slate the opposition unduly. He’s the most interesting Derby manager I have listened to for a long time. That  doesn’t equate to genius of course, but you do get an insight in to the man, far more than many of those in recent times. 

He's had one now. 😄 He was free in telling us all how bad a tackler Sibley was, joke maybe. Comments about the strikers being rubbish at heading? I don't know, there's been little need for moans at the ref and picking out players, but things appear to be changing as our results have?

For me I've heard little in the way of tactical discussion since his early interviews. And as for an insight into the man, we've heard it all now, it's repeating.

Edited by RoyMac5

Mediocre at best! The football is terrible he’s coming across tactically naïve and quite frankly I find his overly jovial demeaner annoying. He comes across like frank did players as mates rather than any hierarchy.

I don’t understand giving managers four year deals as let’s face it in todays game it’s about success.  

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Mediocre at best! The football is terrible he’s coming across tactically naïve and quite frankly I find his overly jovial demeaner annoying. He comes across like frank did players as mates rather than any hierarchy.

I don’t understand giving managers four year deals as let’s face it in todays game it’s about success.  

Depends on what you mean by success, when you expect to achieve it and the length of contract the man you want demands.

My gut feeling, based on zero inside knowledge, is that DC expects year on year improvement, championship status achieved within say three seasons (perhaps he recognises it might be tough to be as competitive as he wants until the business plan is out of the way) and PW wouldn’t come unless the contract was for 4 years. I agree about his demeanour though. He does come across as a man who relishes being a comedian and perhaps too pally with the players.

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Managers get long deals because unless you gave them, they simply wouldn’t come. The job of necessity is driven by instant results or the sack within weeks. You wouldn’t uproot family and home for a job that might not last a year. There isn’t an HR dept where you say you haven’t had the support you need or say it’s not fair. 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

As depressing as it may seem, summer 2024 could well be the first transfer window when we're actually allowed to pay a transfer fee.

Covid well and truly dried up the transfer market, I'd guess the vast majority of transfers in the EFL since have been free. 

I think this coming window is a time of great opportunity to build a decent squad, regardless of any impositions from the EFL.

We can't spend money, but neither can anybody else, with a few exceptions.

We have an inbuilt advantage when competing in the free market pool, due to our larger wage budget and fantastic (for League One) facilities, some cannyness in recruitment could see us push on a long way in a short time.

Just been to see Saints Women beat London City Lionesses 1-0 at St.Marys in the women's championship. Great day. Great passing football played by both sides intent on attacking the opposition. Refreshing to see patterns of play, build ups through interplay, passing with a purpose not aimless lumps forward.

Just saying.

I think a lot of the frustration which keeps bubbling up in different ways is because we know what our current set of players are capable of, but having to watch what they re being forced to do instead. Then dial in the fact that to a degree we have seen it in action during our decent run, which admittedly was against the lesser teams. We were forced to change when Max Bird got injured, but there is a steadfastness, or rather stubbornness in Warne insisting on us playing the way we are now doing, when it is proven that it doesn't work. 

It is highly likely that when he revamps the squad for next season it will be for a 3 - 5 - 2, but with players who can actually play it. But we know what we could have achieved if Arne had got the players to get the ball on the ground and play football with it, because it works. Even on Saturday, for the 7 and a half minutes we had the ball on the floor we actually looked threatening, and scored, of course. 

I know we like football being played as it should be, but am also sure that if playing it long into the channels with the right players brings success, we will be as happy as Larry, assuming he is still in a good mood next season!

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I think a lot of the frustration which keeps bubbling up in different ways is because we know what our current set of players are capable of, but having to watch what they re being forced to do instead. Then dial in the fact that to a degree we have seen it in action during our decent run, which admittedly was against the lesser teams. We were forced to change when Max Bird got injured, but there is a steadfastness, or rather stubbornness in Warne insisting on us playing the way we are now doing, when it is proven that it doesn't work. 

It is highly likely that when he revamps the squad for next season it will be for a 3 - 5 - 2, but with players who can actually play it. But we know what we could have achieved if Arne had got the players to get the ball on the ground and play football with it, because it works. Even on Saturday, for the 7 and a half minutes we had the ball on the floor we actually looked threatening, and scored, of course. 

I know we like football being played as it should be, but am also sure that if playing it long into the channels with the right players brings success, we will be as happy as Larry, assuming he is still in a good mood next season!

Yes Dave, we all like it on the floor and personally I think we’d be a better side if we did more of it. We are underpowered in some areas of the pitch, either because of aging legs or simply physique. Warne could do more I believe. If you’re sharp enough (and some of our players certainly are) you can play round the heavy mob. It’s a strength we have that is under utilised and perhaps the only criticism I have of Warne who has largely done a sound job in other areas.

My biggest complaint is he’s trying to play a formation that doesn’t suit our current players. Stop playing wingers as wingbacks it’s ridiculous.

this current team of players should be playing any of the following 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, or 4-4-1-1

common theme for god sake play our wingers as wingers 🙏

19 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I think this is fair comment. 

I think the problem looking forwards is, we want to give our manager the time to build his own team on his terms. However the inexplicable decisions are building up and giving a lot of people concerns about giving him that time to build.

Personally I think we need to give him that time. But I worry he has burned through some goodwill and if he doesn’t hit the ground running next season, the knives will really be out.

What”inexplicable decisions”?  he hasn’t got the right mix of players to do what is required