Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)

IslandExile

Poll: what do you think of it so far? (Warne's tenure)  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Wildsmith 

smith roberts cashin Forsyth 

bird 

hourihane /Knight / Sibley 

NML Mcgolderick Dobbin / Barkhuizen

Surely they should be the other way around? Fozzie has shown on numerous occasions he can't cut it as LFB/WB, he was great in our unbeaten run as a CB. Roberts hasn't shown much in the way of being able to play CB. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

That is a possibility. I'm torn between that and the fact he is obdurate.

I think they're functionally the same thing as far as Warne is concerned. He's got one way of playing, and he's going to do that over and over again whether it works or not.  It happened to work for a while, partly for things Warne was doing (the fitness, work rate etc), but also partly because of other things (the getting the ball on floor and playing through the thirds etc, that I suspect was a hangover from Rosenior).  So Warne is just going to keep doing the fitness/work-rate stuff, even though it's less effective with tired players, and pay no attention to the other stuff because he only equates success with how much you've run around.

If anyone is genuinely down and absolutely fed up with the football we’re playing, just a suggestion here…

Write the season off.

Get going on your summer holidays and just check the league table on Monday 8th May on the off chance we have stumbled into the play offs.

When you’re back, nicely tanned having spent a few months shopping with the Mrs and consuming far too much alcohol, you will be fully recharged and ready for the football.

Warne will have had a summer and we should expect to see improvements on the pitch. Any counter arguments to your opinions that these are not his players.

He does have 4 year deal, unless Clowes goes full Boehly, regardless of what happens in the remaining games he will be in the dug out next season, so allow yourself time to accept he will be our manager, make peace with that decision and go into the 23/24 with a clean slate.

I’m not even taking the piss here, this sound advice. As Derby fans, we have recently experienced very dark days, I’m not here to say we’re lucky to have the club or anything like that, just what’s going on now, really isn’t worth pounding a keyboard over. 

You are however more than welcome to stay on here and whip yourself into a frenzy all summer berating the guy and tearing into every personality trait he has if it makes you feel better. 

I think it’s hard to judge him fairly because of the difficult circumstances the whole club has to operate on.

I went to Forest Green and Bristol Rovers, two different results but I still felt dejected by the performances. I do wonder how both games would’ve gone if we didn’t score so early in both, because after that we seemed to have no urgency or energy. Whether that’s because we are so knackered we don’t have the energy, or because once we take the lead we are being told to sit back, I don’t know.

One thing I found interesting during the Bristol Rovers game was during the first half, Wildsmith threw the ball out quickly and Warne was straight out of the dugout berating him. Wildsmith apologised and a few minutes later was on the floor with his gloves off being treated for the first of about 5 times that game. I can’t say that Wildsmith wasn’t injured at all, but it looked like we were just intent on defending and winding the clock down from the second we scored.

It’ll be interesting to see how we look next season should Warne have the opportunity to bring his own style of player in, because right now we’re limping to the end of the season. I think we’re probably better off missing out on promotion this season, in the long-term at least. We could still stumble into the play-offs but I don’t see any way where we win them. We just don’t have enough in the tank to do it.

Its going to be a busy summer regardless, but I think if we had to turn this squad into a Warne squad AND one capable of staying up in the Championship then it’s too much to do in one go and we’ll be back having to rebuild. We should be good enough to be there or thereabouts in League One next season and Warne has a four year contract. It seems the aim is to build slowly and properly, so I’m happy to do that rather than have to rush things, and get things wrong again.

1 hour ago, David said:

If anyone is genuinely down and absolutely fed up with the football we’re playing, just a suggestion here…

Write the season off.

Get going on your summer holidays and just check the league table on Monday 8th May on the off chance we have stumbled into the play offs.

When you’re back, nicely tanned having spent a few months shopping with the Mrs and consuming far too much alcohol, you will be fully recharged and ready for the football.

Warne will have had a summer and we should expect to see improvements on the pitch. Any counter arguments to your opinions that these are not his players.

He does have 4 year deal, unless Clowes goes full Boehly, regardless of what happens in the remaining games he will be in the dug out next season, so allow yourself time to accept he will be our manager, make peace with that decision and go into the 23/24 with a clean slate.

I’m not even taking the piss here, this sound advice. As Derby fans, we have recently experienced very dark days, I’m not here to say we’re lucky to have the club or anything like that, just what’s going on now, really isn’t worth pounding a keyboard over. 

You are however more than welcome to stay on here and whip yourself into a frenzy all summer berating the guy and tearing into every personality trait he has if it makes you feel better. And for just £3 a month you can also remove those pesky ads if you’re feeling generous. 😜

I think it would be an amazing achievement by Warne if we made the playoffs.  

I really don’t understand the negativity at the moment.

My only gripe with Warne is he doesn’t use Sibley enough.

He needs to take my advice on that lol 😂 

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

What”inexplicable decisions”?  he hasn’t got the right mix of players to do what is required

Personnel selections, substitutions, timing of substitutions, etc. Even with a limited squad it’s hard to deny there haven’t been very odd decisions.

I’m not anti-Warne, just like I wasn’t anti-LR…….but we have to admit some of his decisions are making life much more difficult for us than it needs to be.

Take Sat, bringing on White ahead of Sibley when we are backs to the wall. Everyone knows White is no use to us when we’ve decided to go on the defensive.

Why put that player in a situation where he’s going to struggle and look what happened.

34 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Personnel selections, substitutions, timing of substitutions, etc. Even with a limited squad it’s hard to deny there haven’t been very odd decisions.

I’m not anti-Warne, just like I wasn’t anti-LR…….but we have to admit some of his decisions are making life much more difficult for us than it needs to be.

Take Sat, bringing on White ahead of Sibley when we are backs to the wall. Everyone knows White is no use to us when we’ve decided to go on the defensive.

Why put that player in a situation where he’s going to struggle and look what happened.

No worse defensively than Sibley and at least he can pass a ball to a white shirt. That is not an “inexplicable decision” - just a matter of opinion. If Wildsmith hadn’t spent so much time wasting time, it would have been a good decision.

6 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

No worse defensively than Sibley and at least he can pass a ball to a white shirt. That is not an “inexplicable decision” - just a matter of opinion. If Wildsmith hadn’t spent so much time wasting time, it would have been a good decision.

Not sure I quite get your point.

I wonder how many of our current squad wouldn't actually be playing for us if pw had a transfer budget and could actually buy promotion winning players for the club.

Next season, I'm expecting much the same as this one. The chances of promotion this season appear to be over in my opinion.

If we can't strengthen to the extent we need to in the summer and must rely on free agents and loan signings plus losing a number of players.

However it will be a different matter in the season after next because ...

1. Why would our new owner spend a fortune on the club to see it spend more than two wasted seasons in League one.

2. Our new owner will recognise the importance of mounting a Premier league promotion push and there's zero chance of that in League one.

3. Why spend a fortune on a club to save it from bankruptcy just yo painfully see it lose games in League one because it can't build a decent team without spending money.

4. Zero chance there's enough quality in the Academy that can buid enough of a team to make a promotion push from league one, let alone from the Championship.

A transfer budget is essential.

I don't blame pw for the club's performances this season, the 13 players thar signed for us in the summer saved us from not being able to field the minimum required team size and thus from bankruptcy.

We haven't seen what pw can do with team that's entirely the shape he wants it, a team that's large enough to give other players a rest.

Next season sees new opposition enter league one, and our clubs struggling to the beat a number of teams already here.

I can't wait to see the back of this season and the next. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2024 to 2025 season, when hopefully this club can show the rest of league one that pw has built a winning team.

Until then I'm not willing to judge pw.

Until then I can't see our owner terminating pw and his teams, 4 year contracts

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Sibley played LB through our best run.

He’s got a long way to go, but he’s far further along on his defensive knowledge/ability than White who’s a total liability.

That lesson should have been learned at Bolton away.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But what has that got to do with Wildsmith’s time wasting?

Appreciate it’s not you making the point, but Wildsmith was told to time-waste from very early on. On one occasion he distributed the ball pretty quickly and Warne was straight out of the dugout barking at him to slow it down. Two minutes later he’s on the floor with a hand injury.

You can only time waste so much. He was booked and had about 5 separate treatments on the pitch because the ref can hardly book you for being “injured”, genuine or not.

It just doesn’t make sense. A total of 10 minutes added time were added on to a game where very little happened in the first 90 mins bar the goal. 7 minutes added on to the second half where nothing happened was ridiculous, we just invited pressure and gave them more time to pile it on. It’s decisions like that I don’t understand, there’s game management and being smart about it, and then there’s asking for them to equalise.

On 16/04/2023 at 09:16, DRBee said:

Our home-grown players ( Bird, Knight Sibley) having gone backwards under Warne and its down to 

way Warne wants them to play ( or not play )

this is my main concern,unless warne can get us back to a winning formula,not only are we going to have to endure another season of anti football,our crown jewels,sibbo,knight and bird,who should of been stand out players in this league,but havent been,will be worthless,thanks to warnes idea of football

19 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Appreciate it’s not you making the point, but Wildsmith was told to time-waste from very early on. On one occasion he distributed the ball pretty quickly and Warne was straight out of the dugout barking at him to slow it down. Two minutes later he’s on the floor with a hand injury.

You can only time waste so much. He was booked and had about 5 separate treatments on the pitch because the ref can hardly book you for being “injured”, genuine or not.

It just doesn’t make sense. A total of 10 minutes added time were added on to a game where very little happened in the first 90 mins bar the goal. 7 minutes added on to the second half where nothing happened was ridiculous, we just invited pressure and gave them more time to pile it on. It’s decisions like that I don’t understand, there’s game management and being smart about it, and then there’s asking for them to equalise.

I agree. I just don’t understand why according to @On the Ram Page  Wildsmith not time wasting so much would have made playing White rather than Sibley a good decision. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OK, as much wouldn’t have been added on but the ball would have been in play just as long. 

Edited by Tamworthram