Bolton Wanderers (H) Sat 21st Jan

Its amazing how after  match we have the choice to talk about all the good stuff, or moan about the poor play, or who has let us down. Today we didn't have that choice. There is absolutely nothing to complain about from a derby point of view. And yes, like many I was worried by the team selection, enforced as it was, but it turned out to be "nay worries", as they say in Scotland.

Roberts is a good option to have at right back, and Curtis was safe enough, in part because of the lack of pace up front from Bolton. I know they have lost a couple of important players up front, but I don't think pace is their game. Their tactics were to lump it to the big man, or into the channels, and it didn't work. An important factor in this was our pressing, which I don't think I have seen as effectively employed before, especially as we kept it up all match. Thank you Jason knight for making it possible, and the new fitness regime!

A couple of times I had to wonder how Bolton managed to be in 5th place because they didn't really perform. The nearest to an attempt on goal in the first half was a cross that bobbled through to Wildsmith, and their only shots on target were at 56  minutes, 73 minutes and the goal, which should have been a goal kick. But they didn't perform because we didn't let them! And we have done that many times this season, particularly since Mr Warne took up residence.

NML had his defender on toast all match long, Max Bird has stepped up a gear, and our longing for him to toughen up was answered in only the 2nd minute when he bullied a Bolton player off the ball near the corner flag. And his pass to set up the second goal was an absolute peach. I've already mentioned Knighty, and it is good to see Hourihane, who was my least favourite  putting himself about with a bit of passion - I don't know what happened, but he has been a different player since he came back from injury. I don't think there is player who can be singled out for playing badly - yet again. And it is getting to what it was like for Mac 1, and indeed the days of Brian Clough and then Dave Mackay, when we didn't wonder if we could win or draw, but how may we were gong to win by!

Today was a great football match, and I went absolutely bonkers berserk for both the goals - something I haven't done for years, because they were two tremendous goals. I was supposed to walk back to the car after the match, but got there without knowing how - almost as though I had floated all the way back! What a feeling!

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The ball went well out of play for the Bolton goal didn't it?

Other than that a very good day at the office! Expected more from Bolton who were mostly rubbish.

Well from most angles you have a fair chance of judging whether the ball is more than half way over the line. Judging whether it’s ‘overhanging’ the line is like looking at a distant plane at 32,000 feet and trying to work out if it’s over your mum’s house.  Silly rule ask any German 

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well from most angles you have a fair chance of judging whether the ball is more than half way over the line. Judging whether it’s ‘overhanging’ the line is like looking at a distant plane at 32,000 feet and trying to work out if it’s over your mum’s house.  Silly rule ask any German 

yet more poor decisions form the match officials. And although quite a few on here thought the ref was ok, a guy behind me in the South Stand put it better when he said "He's the best we've had all season, but it's a low bar"! It certainly is - you can only see the bar when the pitch has just been mown!

2 hours ago, ck- said:

Why? I was on the half way line at the back of the stand. 
Both players way over the line with the ball in between them. If you can’t see that you’ve no business being a referee. As for the linesman, that’s absolutely disgraceful and I’d expect them to be rested for a few games after that. 

AB9BA6D6-E988-4CC0-A5C2-B5A60ADE1E3C.jpeg

The linesman should never be allowed near a football match again. Its either incompetence or cheating.

36 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

yet more poor decisions form the match officials. And although quite a few on here thought the ref was ok, a guy behind me in the South Stand put it better when he said "He's the best we've had all season, but it's a low bar"! It certainly is - you can only see the bar when the pitch has just been mown!

I thought the ref today was a cheat, I really don't like moaning about the officials, I always thought it evened out over a season but we have to accept that the League One referees and officials have been told not to favour Derby County FC.

There was at least half a dozen poor tackles on Derby players that went unpunished. 

I assume the ref waved play on for a potentially career ending challenge hoping against hope that we wouldn't score from it. He must be devastated and will have to face the wrath of the EFL no doubt.

The EFL are terrified, Derby's on fire....

I loved it today, absolutely loved it. A near-full house, an opposition team and its fans fully fired up, but we put them back in their box just like we used to when Todd, McFarland, Gemmill and co. strutted their stuff and King Kevin danced over the mud. We never looked like losing. This was a real statement performance where even a corrupt/bungling oaf of a referee and his accomplices couldn't change the result. 

Isn't it great to be a Derby fan again? 

Had a fantastic day yesterday. A belated 50th birthday present saw me in the Toyota Suite for some fodder and footy. Two of my favourite things,so what's not to like. 

I was  anxious about the result because ironically our last defeat was on my actual birthday way back in October and my fear was confounded by the two enforced changes in the back four.

Despite a rusty start, which was understandable, I thought Curtis Davies grew into the game. I thought Roberts was solid too and on another day could quite easily have notched one of the two chances he had. 

They would have both come away with a clean sheet too had it not been for Rick Parry running the line on that far side. Not only did he miss the ball going out of play, he also missed a blatant foul on Roberts right under his nose and a dive in the area once again right under his nose.

All in all I thought we were well worthy of the three points with Knight and NML the standouts for me. Knight purely for his endeavour and industry. I get tired just watching him.  NML also put in a shift too and constantly had their fullback on the back foot. That fullback probably prayed all the way home that he doesn't have to face NML again this season. 

Whilst it's still mathematically possible I'll remain optimistic we can hunt down the top two. However I'll take another trip to Wembley in the play-offs  as a consolation. No team will relish the prospect of playing us in our current form. UTR.

Enjoyed yesterday 

wildsmith - nothing to do 

smith - very reliable 

Davies - slow start but normal service resumed 

Forsyth - just reads the game so we’ll 

Roberts - did well on his return 

bird - just fine 

hourihane - much better player with knight in there 

Knight - wonderful player 

mendiz Lang - real handful 

Barkhauzen - good team player 

mcgoldrick - they let him control the the game 

major difference nowadays - we have goal threats all along the front line and they are scoring with back up from central midfield - opposing players don’t know or can’t pick them all up - stand out to Knight - wonderful player and simply makes space and time for others to shine 

Bolton - very much looked like they were trying to just lump it long and pick up some bits but having Davies and Forsyth meant that they didn’t get close to winning a long ball 

42 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Enjoyed yesterday 

wildsmith - nothing to do 

smith - very reliable 

Davies - slow start but normal service resumed 

Forsyth - just reads the game so we’ll 

Roberts - did well on his return 

bird - just fine 

hourihane - much better player with knight in there 

Knight - wonderful player 

mendiz Lang - real handful 

Barkhauzen - good team player 

mcgoldrick - they let him control the the game 

major difference nowadays - we have goal threats all along the front line and they are scoring with back up from central midfield - opposing players don’t know or can’t pick them all up - stand out to Knight - wonderful player and simply makes space and time for others to shine 

Bolton - very much looked like they were trying to just lump it long and pick up some bits but having Davies and Forsyth meant that they didn’t get close to winning a long ball 

A few folk have said this was their game plan, but I really don’t think it was.  It what they were forced to do with our pressing.  Once we took away the ability of their goalie to go short, so they could build from the back, their two CBs had poo-ed it.  I was pretty shocked how crap those 2 were on the ball.  Warne & the coaches got the tactics spot on.

I thought Bolton looked good. Only Plymouth have impressed me more at pride park. 

Thought that it shows that we’re turning into some unrelenting machine just marching towards to the end of the season. 

Will we go up? Who knows. Would take ‘Warne losing his job’ sort of drop off to not make the play offs wouldn’t it from this point onwards? (28 points from 20 matches gives us 75 points which is higher than the average needed for 6th place in league one) 

As for 2nd place: 40 points from 20 games reaches the average needed for 2nd place in league one however with Wednesday and Plymouth being in fine form still that may not be enough. 

A sobering thought is that it would take us at least 2 points per game from now until the end of the season and hoping that one of the two above us starts to falter which doesn’t look likely right now. 

The other sides in the play off positions won’t fancy meeting us though so that’s a positive. 

It is interesting that some people have mentioned our going back to a more if a long ball type of game. We did it in the away match at Bolton as well, and both times it has gone against how we have played out other matches. Paul has switched our style if okay both times against Bolton, and is obviously how Warne knows we can take Bolton on. It means he has more than just the one plan. What a guy!

2 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

This season is reminding of McClarens first spell, he took over mid season but couldn’t catch Leicester and Burnley. We were easily the third best team in the league but lost to QPR in the final. Let’s hope it’s not repeated again .

It’s ok QPR are in the championship 

10 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

It is interesting that some people have mentioned our going back to a more if a long ball type of game. We did it in the away match at Bolton as well, and both times it has gone against how we have played out other matches. Paul has switched our style if okay both times against Bolton, and is obviously how Warne knows we can take Bolton on. It means he has more than just the one plan. What a guy!

Dead right Dave. He strikes me as a clear thinking pragmatist who obviously knows how to explain what is needed to the players and boy have they bought into it. It may have been all Widsmith hoofs from the back yesterday but once we got the ball some of the one touch play involving the midfield was very good. Mendez Lang said they had worked on getting early crosses to the front post and it paid off. From what Warne said I expect goals from corners and free kicks incoming….starting at Vale on Tuesday. UTR