Richard Stearman

IslandExile

43 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Noticed a couple of games back that he seems to talk to Warne quite a lot while sat on the bench. Strikes me that he’s potentially transitioning into a coaching role.

Fair play to him, 5th choice centre back who’s rarely going to be called on except in an injury crisis (like now). With Rooney breaking through as well, I think it’s a sensible call by him. He’s looked a bit past his sell by date in some of his performances this season sadly, but he seems a top guy and has a wealth of experience, so I’d be glad for him to work with players like Cashin and Rooney.

Did his UEFA A Badge when at Huddersfield. One of the draws for him originally joining us was the possibility to assist with the coaching.

With Cashin, Forsyth, Davies, Chester, Roberts and Rooney as CB options, he appears to have already dropped down to 7th choice CB.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Did his UEFA A Badge when at Huddersfield. One of the draws for him originally joining us was the possibility to assist with the coaching.

With Cashin, Forsyth, Davies, Chester, Roberts and Rooney as CB options, he appears to have already dropped down to 7th choice CB.

He was interviewed on the pitch after the Torquay game (when he said Warne acts like he’s had 10 coffees) and said pretty much said he’s in a coaching role where he helps out the young lads. Seems like a useful experienced option when we need and is there to guide the young players

Excellent professional, still a more than competent player at this level and someone who will benefit the younger players by his example, attitude and ability.

The older players in general are all proving great examples to the kids. McGoldrick and Collins ran their socks off, closed down and harassed the Pompey defenders from the start.

Ultimate pro is the Steargoat.

Last season he also said he realised he was just a squad member but was honoured to represent this great club whenever called upon to wear the shirt.

Always gives 100%. One of those few players who have become a bit of a cult figure without playing much.

Like Oooh Mark Lillis and his hat.

Go on the Steagoat

Gangway D from the terrace

11 hours ago, GangwayD said:

Ultimate pro is the Steargoat.

Last season he also said he realised he was just a squad member but was honoured to represent this great club whenever called upon to wear the shirt.

Always gives 100%. One of those few players who have become a bit of a cult figure without playing much.

Like Oooh Mark Lillis and his hat.

Go on the Steagoat

Funny one Mark Lillis. If he hadn't have got injured straight away, Arthur was intending to pair him with Bobby Davison. So we would have never had the Davison/Gee partnership

3 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Funny one Mark Lillis. If he hadn't have got injured straight away, Arthur was intending to pair him with Bobby Davison. So we would have never had the Davison/Gee partnership

I couldn’t understand why Arthur sold Trevor Christie to buy Lillis. To be fair the only goal Lillis got for us was a cracking diving header and won 3 points. 

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Spot on. 

Lills got injured early on and Gee come in from the reserves forming a brilliant partnership with Bobby Davison scoring dozens between them.

Lills didnt complain got his head down and when called upon gave his all, expressing pride in playing for us.  

He always wore his Derby/Rangers hat when warming up and for some reason became a fans favourite.

Powerful in the air and Ooooh Mark Lillis preceded Ooooh Mark Wright.  

Not sure on his stats for us but most fans loved him. The late great Micky Lewis kind of fell into this bracket too. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, GangwayD said:

Spot on. 

Lills got injured early on and Gee come in from the reserves forming a brilliant partnership with Bobby Davison scoring dozens between them.

Lills didnt complain got his head down and when called upon gave his all, expressing pride in playing for us.  

He always wore his Derby/Rangers hat when warming up and for some reason became a fans favourite.

Powerful in the air and Ooooh Mark Lillis preceded Ooooh Mark Wright.  

Not sure on his stats for us but most fans loved him. The late great Micky Lewis kind of fell into this bracket too. 

Cheers

We had some class backup in those three seasons. Arthur had an unerring talent for spotting class players at bargain prices.

Still not sure what happened once he had got Lionel's brass!! Although some were still relatively successful.

51 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

We had some class backup in those three seasons. Arthur had an unerring talent for spotting class players at bargain prices.

Still not sure what happened once he had got Lionel's brass!! Although some were still relatively successful.

I think we just introduced too many players all at once, many of which weren't all that experienced and some were a bit over rated. So for example Kitson, Johnson, Permbridge and Charles were all young players who had promise but didn't really fulfill it. I thought Craig Short was very overrated and a bit of a flop at the price we paid really. The 'partnership' between him and Wassall looked good on paper but didn't really work. We already had Gabbiadini who I thought was a pretty average player really and he didn't gel with Kitson and Johnson. Martin Khul was signed to give us some experience and toughness in the middle of the park and didn't really come off either. Paul Simpson was a good signing though and scored a lot of goals. Overall though it was a bit of a mess and a massive disappointment. I remember how exited we were when we signed Pembridge, Kitson, Johnson and Short  in particular. Arthur was much better when he was building a side on a shoestring   

18 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think we just introduced too many players all at once, many of which weren't all that experienced and some were a bit over rated. So for example Kitson, Johnson, Permbridge and Charles were all young players who had promise but didn't really fulfill it. I thought Craig Short was very overrated and a bit of a flop at the price we paid really. The 'partnership' between him and Wassall looked good on paper but didn't really work. We already had Gabbiadini who I thought was a pretty average player really and he didn't gel with Kitson and Johnson. Martin Khul was signed to give us some experience and toughness in the middle of the park and didn't really come off either. Paul Simpson was a good signing though and scored a lot of goals. Overall though it was a bit of a mess and a massive disappointment. I remember how exited we were when we signed Pembridge, Kitson, Johnson and Short  in particular. Arthur was much better when he was building a side on a shoestring   

Gabbiadini pretty average ? You are hard to please. He was great for us.

On 20/11/2022 at 10:54, Reggie Greenwood said:

I couldn’t understand why Arthur sold Trevor Christie to buy Lillis.

I think Lillis was seen as an upgrade on Christie. Checking the records, he'd finished top scorer with Man City in the old Division 1 the previous season with 12 goals in a relegation-threatened team, and prior to that had a decent scoring record with Huddersfield over several seasons. I do remember that he worked really well in tandem with a target man at Huddersfield who's name escapes me, so i think Arthur saw him as a good foil for Bobby D.

On 20/11/2022 at 18:31, Gerry Daly said:

Absolutely destroying some of my childhood favourites ?

although I was only about 8/9 and you could have put a rams shirt on a border collie and I’d have wanted it’s autograph!

I even liked ian ormondroyd but that was mainly his funny name and the fact he was so gangly.

• 5 months later...

On 20/11/2022 at 18:31, Gerry Daly said:

Did see an interview with Kevin Ratcliffe.  Said when he arrived at Derby on a short term contract he was surrounded by up their own arse kids who weren't willing to improve as they thought they were already the dogs b*******.  He hadn't seen half the arrogance at Everton in a squad that had won the league.  Probably about right.

20 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did see an interview with Kevin Ratcliffe.  Said when he arrived at Derby on a short term contract he was surrounded by up their own arse kids who weren't willing to improve as they thought they were already the dogs b*******.  He hadn't seen half the arrogance at Everton in a squad that had won the league.  Probably about right.

Of the ones i have met and got to know i really don't buy that.

Tommy and Marco are as down to earth footballers and grateful of their god given talents as you are ever likely to meet.

Shorty although i have only talked to him a couple of times comes over that way as well.

Edited by I DONT MIND

I love Stearman and to me Stearman is a bit like our Scott Carson. In that, he could have gone to a lot of league 1 or ANY league 2 team and played games.  Infact I'd probably would have played him more here had I been in charge.  But, there were players ahead of him and Stearman didn't sulk, whinge, take swipes in interviews, he just got on with it. Trained, supported, played his part.

I will always remember him for that and if there was a player out the whole squad I could meet and shake there hand, it is him! Just to say "Thank you sir and good luck for the future."