Richard Stearman

IslandExile

49 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

Of the ones i have met and got to know i really don't buy that.

Tommy and Marco are as down to earth footballers and grateful of their god given talents as you are ever likely to meet.

Shorty although i have only talked to him a couple of times comes over that way as well.

I think Gabbiadini was about 24 when we signed him and had been around a bit.  He certainly had some serious dislike for Kitson at the time. As for the others, perhaps like the Sex Pistols they've mellowed with age,

On 20/11/2022 at 18:31, Gerry Daly said:

I think we just introduced too many players all at once, many of which weren't all that experienced and some were a bit over rated. So for example Kitson, Johnson, Permbridge and Charles were all young players who had promise but didn't really fulfill it. I thought Craig Short was very overrated and a bit of a flop at the price we paid really. The 'partnership' between him and Wassall looked good on paper but didn't really work. We already had Gabbiadini who I thought was a pretty average player really and he didn't gel with Kitson and Johnson. Martin Khul was signed to give us some experience and toughness in the middle of the park and didn't really come off either. Paul Simpson was a good signing though and scored a lot of goals. Overall though it was a bit of a mess and a massive disappointment. I remember how exited we were when we signed Pembridge, Kitson, Johnson and Short  in particular. Arthur was much better when he was building a side on a shoestring   

Whilst I can imagine that would disappoint a few, I agree. If you look at it, none of that bunch really went on to do a great deal  given the fees, potential, etc.

Short did ok at Everton but the rest of them didn't really do a great deal. Tommy did ok at Villa and Celtic just doesn't count. Kitson did ok but Newcastle and West Ham weren't great at the time - they certainly didn't end up going on to have amazing careers. 

Marco always looked the part and was a solid player but in reality, wasn't great was he.

Fetches tin hat...