Local Radio being destroyed - no more Sportscene.

Ram@Lincoln

52 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

As you may have heard on Saturday on Radio Derby, Tony Bentley had his last game as Burton summariser - according to him on Twitter it was down to new BBC policy. Steve Jordan who presents the weekend shows also suddenly left his role over the weekend. Then today, @Owen87ITK tweeted his sorrow to his BBC local radio friends on today's news. Basically all the different counties stations are having to merge for most programmes. Radio Derby's Sport at Six/Sportscene will be going with the cuts, to be replaced with a joint Derby, Nottingham, Leicester and Lincolnshire programme. This is also happening with the non sport weekend shows, afternoon shows with the night shows being totally replaced with one national show. Rest in peace regional radio, what a loss this is. I really feel for everyone affected, especially the likes of Dominic Dietrich who's only just started with Radio Derby.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2022/10/major-cuts-in-jobs-and-local-shows-planned-for-local-bbc-radio/

The story says :

"Local shows will only survive on weekday mornings and lunchtimes (6am till 2pm) whilst the rest of the output, apart from evening and weekend sport, will be shared either regionally or nationally."

So there is no sharing of evening and weekend sport?

As long as the lead up from 2.00 and the match commentary are there - followed by post game player and manager interviews  I am not bothered but for those further afield it is a blow. We’ll get used to it I suppose. 

The BBC is a magical institution but it has shot itself in the foot over presenter salaries and a lot of Islington centric posturing. 

Broadcast and print media has changed so rapidly since “t ‘internet” I don’t think any of us can sure where it’s going and how to save the good bits.

I’ve gave up Radio 4, 3-4 years ago after an almost lifetime addiction, the world service is a thousand times better and so much more objective and informative. 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

The story says :

"Local shows will only survive on weekday mornings and lunchtimes (6am till 2pm) whilst the rest of the output, apart from evening and weekend sport, will be shared either regionally or nationally."

I hope it's all mixed messages, however reading more injury it doesn't seem that promising. Sally Pepper tweeting this afternoon that they didn't even know about this until the news broke externally. Shocking really. 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

The story says :

I’d also think they’ll still have a special for big things like sacking a manager etc. I must admit local radio was quite important during our administration even if it wasn’t what we wanted to hear.

As for the cost of the licence it is what people are prepared to pay for? How many no football fans want to pay for all the Derby County sport coverage? 

I suppose there will still be a sports team at Radio Derby as far as the evening program I listen to it on my way home but the main bits for me are the news and sport updates.

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

Would love to say I care but I really don’t. Radio is really old hat at this point and it needs to get with the times, unfortunately. Commentary has been poor and summarising even worse at times for a long while. That’s before you add in the absolute dirge that is Sportscene phone-in which digs up the dregs of the fan base more than this place does. 

It doesn't really though.  I only listen to bits on the Radio, some listen to a lot especially older people who don't get about and aren't down with twitter. As long as they're getting something from it.

I'm sure a lot of glamour fans who've grown up thinking Man City were always a super power thought that about Derby County 12 months ago.  Why give a s*** they've not won anything for 45 years and are old hat, lets get with the times - big up the Brentford.

38 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Can we start a peption up to keep sport sence maybe if enough derby fans sign they will reconsider it.

30 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Or get rid of strictly come dancing load of rubbish.

The BBC should at least run a poll, to see which programme people want to save... Strictly Come Dancing or BBC Radio Derby Sports Scene.

That'll show 'em!