Local Radio being destroyed - no more Sportscene.

Ram@Lincoln

34 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Crazy thing is that a lot of their ‘target’ audience don’t listen to radio and don’t watch TV. My lad is 22 - he streams any content he wants via Spotify or Netflix/Amazon Prime - he’s simply not interested in anything the BBC produces yet they insist that they want to produce more content for his generation and sod the older folk who rely on local radio and TV…..

This

It has been BBC strategy for some time to concentrate their limited resources on radio and TV on the very age group that doesn't want to listen to them, because the BBC are worried if that market doesn't listen to them now then they never will.  It's why all the older, more experienced, better presenters have been shoved out for the younger and less competent (but probably cheaper) ones.  I've long since stopped listening to the National stations as output has got worse and worse and less and less aimed at me.

A very rough check on BBC sounds suggests there are 41 local radio stations, all no doubt with their own presenters and programming, plus 4 Radio 1's - Radio 1, Radio 1Dance, Radio 1 relax, Radio 1 extra, one radio 2 and 3, 3 radio 4s, 2 radio 5s, 1 radio 6, an Asian Network (are Asians the only racial grouping to deserve their own network?), a world service, 4 for Scotland, 3 for Ireland, 4 for Wales (including 2 in Welsh, which most of Wales doesn't speak) and, for some unknown reason, a CBeebies Radio station - big radio consumers are toddlers. That's roughly 67 radio stations, national and local, no doubt with all their own presenters, researchers, managers, technicians, buildings/studios, equipment, expense accounts, HR departments, online presence, podcasts, uncle Tom Cobbly and all.

And that's before you count the number of TV channels and the back office support that keeps the whole thing running. It's an organisation that is a bloated mess following the wrong strategy, but then I'm over 30 so they're really not interested in me.  As a result I'll fill my time with Sky, Virgin, Netflix, Apple TV and the internet.

27 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I say many people turn Into to listen to it so not just me is it. What about people cant attend games or cant afford rams tv those people relay on bbc radio derby sport sence so they can at least listen to it.

They can still listen to the game, for now live commentary is safe. 

2 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

This

It has been BBC strategy for some time to concentrate their limited resources on radio and TV on the very age group that doesn't want to listen to them, because the BBC are worried if that market doesn't listen to them now then they never will.  It's why all the older, more experienced, better presenters have been shoved out for the younger and less competent (but probably cheaper) ones.  I've long since stopped listening to the National stations as output has got worse and worse and less and less aimed at me.

A very rough check on BBC sounds suggests there are 41 local radio stations, all no doubt with their own presenters and programming, plus 4 Radio 1's - Radio 1, Radio 1Dance, Radio 1 relax, Radio 1 extra, one radio 2 and 3, 3 radio 4s, 2 radio 5s, 1 radio 6, an Asian Network (are Asians the only racial grouping to deserve their own network?), a world service, 4 for Scotland, 3 for Ireland, 4 for Wales (including 2 in Welsh, which most of Wales doesn't speak) and, for some unknown reason, a CBeebies Radio station - big radio consumers are toddlers. That's roughly 67 radio stations, national and local, no doubt with all their own presenters, researchers, managers, technicians, buildings/studios, equipment, expense accounts, HR departments, online presence, podcasts, uncle Tom Cobbly and all.

And that's before you count the number of TV channels and the back office support that keeps the whole thing running. It's an organisation that is a bloated mess following the wrong strategy, but then I'm over 30 so they're really not interested in me.  As a result I'll fill my time with Sky, Virgin, Netflix, Apple TV and the internet.

I am older for you I like radio derby and they still promote all there stupid programs so the least they can do is leave our sport scence alone.

This all makes sense to me. Local radio audiences have shrunk with the ageing audience, they are not being replaced by a younger audience, and that trend will only continue. All local radios stations’ big audience is for the football, and that won’t change.

Podcast and OTT services is the present and the future and that’s where the attention will be focussed. All the BBC is doing here is catching up with modern media consumption.

It could do more but would need more money. The license fee, which I think represents great value for money across TV, radio and content on Sounds (I like a good political podcast and a R4 drama), is frozen and has become a political hot potato that no-one will touch, but without it raising it and causing national outrage, it’s hands are tied. 

Regional television has faced huge cuts in recent years, local newspapers are all but dead, so local radio to follow was inevitable, but sadly it does make sound business sense.

I was actually complaining to my wife only a few weeks ago how bad the content was on Radio Derby, its was more national issues than local so stopped listening switched to Erewash Sound instead apart from Derby games.

Andy Twigge is terrible. Ed Dawes as well. 

Sally Pepper was the best presenter.

Edited by cstand

5 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I am older for you I like radio derby and they still promote all there stupid programs so the least they can do is leave our sport scence alone.

B4, I wish that you were older than me but I strongly suspect that you're not.  There are elements of Radio Derby's output that I do listen to online, even from Ilkley, or in my car online, particularly the pre and post match discussions/interviews on match day.  As @Davidand others have said this bit of the programming is staying.  The bit that might go (we don't know yet) is the midweek Sportscene at 6 programme, including the talk in on a Monday night.  I do listen to that every now and then but I can't say that I would be too sad if it went.

Jobs and livelihoods will go with the restructuring and that's not great for those people affected - and no doubt there are worried people at home tonight wondering if they'll have a career or a job.  We should spare them thought and sympathy. But they work for an organisation that has failed to move with the times quickly enough, has become fixated on the wrong strategy and has lost clarity in its output on TV and Radio.  It needs a Paul Warne rather than a Liam Rosenior, to simplify its approach and not try to be all things to all people.

44 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

This all makes sense to me. Local radio audiences have shrunk with the ageing audience, they are not being replaced by a younger audience, and that trend will only continue. All local radios stations’ big audience is for the football, and that won’t change.

Podcast and OTT services is the present and the future and that’s where the attention will be focussed. All the BBC is doing here is catching up with modern media consumption.

It could do more but would need more money. The license fee, which I think represents great value for money across TV, radio and content on Sounds (I like a good political podcast and a R4 drama), is frozen and has become a political hot potato that no-one will touch, but without it raising it and causing national outrage, it’s hands are tied. 

Regional television has faced huge cuts in recent years, local newspapers are all but dead, so local radio to follow was inevitable, but sadly it does make sound business sense.

A lot of that makes sense, but I see the BBC as a service, not a business. I think they should focus of educating, informing and challeging more vs the more business sense offerings like Come Dancing. They also need to drop extremists and shadowy think tanks from debates, in a flawed attempt to show both sides of an argument.

If you don't really consume much bbc content and bemoan the 12 quid a month cost, then think of it as a donation that allows loads of older folks to enjoy local radio about where they live. Or think of the worldwide prestige that the BBC gives us, with the increase of soft power it brings too.

46 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

B4, I wish that you were older than me but I strongly suspect that you're not.  There are elements of Radio Derby's output that I do listen to online, even from Ilkley, or in my car online, particularly the pre and post match discussions/interviews on match day.  As @Davidand others have said this bit of the programming is staying.  The bit that might go (we don't know yet) is the midweek Sportscene at 6 programme, including the talk in on a Monday night.  I do listen to that every now and then but I can't say that I would be too sad if it went.

Jobs and livelihoods will go with the restructuring and that's not great for those people affected - and no doubt there are worried people at home tonight wondering if they'll have a career or a job.  We should spare them thought and sympathy. But they work for an organisation that has failed to move with the times quickly enough, has become fixated on the wrong strategy and has lost clarity in its output on TV and Radio.  It needs a Paul Warne rather than a Liam Rosenior, to simplify its approach and not try to be all things to all people.

Well I think they have moved with the times they do live streaming on facebook and other thing so sorry I think it should stay and it is part of my match day build up.

Why give them new contract then break it.

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

This

I am 37 now mate

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I think they have moved with the times they do live streaming on facebook and other thing so sorry I think it should stay and it is part of my match day build up.

Why give them new contract then break it.

Listen to the various Rams fans pod casts online like you do online with the radio.

Your dad will be able to find them or ask on here for help.

No point in getting your knickers in a twist about it, they don’t care about you or I unfortunately.

Edited by Boycie

It's a great pity that BBC local radio is getting severely cut again. Of course, there's been shared evening services for many, many years and these reported changes appear to be an extension of that. I can see the business case, but it seems an odd way to promote the "levelling-up" agenda by weakening community programming and forcing more centralisation. I don't listen to RD that much, other than for the local sports coverage, but I'm against these proposals for that part alone.