Local Radio being destroyed - no more Sportscene.

Ram@Lincoln

20 minutes ago, jono said:

Broadcast and print media has changed so rapidly since “t ‘internet” I don’t think any of us can sure where it’s going and how to save the good bits.

I’ve gave up Radio 4, 3-4 years ago after an almost lifetime addiction, the world service is a thousand times better and so much more objective and informative. 

Oh dear.

"The BBC told the government it will face a £285m gap in its income by 2027 because of the licence fee freeze. Last month the BBC announced deep cuts to its World Service output involving the loss of about 382 jobs in an attempt to save £28.5m."

40 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well start is get a protest going to keep the program and it worked before by saving our club why not our local radio station.

With all due respect mate, whilst I've absolutely no problem with you cracking on and starting a petition and/or organising a protest, I have to pull you up for saying previous protest(s) saved Derby County.

As wonderful and awesome as the march was, and the positive vibes that followed it, only one thing saved Derby County, and that was a very generous Derby fan by the name of David Clowes handing over a very heavy bag loaded with money.

?

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The BBC should at least run a poll, to see which programme people want to save... Strictly Come Dancing or BBC Radio Derby Sports Scene.

That'll show 'em!  

I think you're being a bit unfair here. People power does work.

A few years back BBC were all set to shut down BBC 6 Music. Protests saved it and cuts were made elsewhere instead.

12 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Such a massive loss to lose Sportscene at 6. Was vital during the administration, getting the daily updates, analysis and interviews. Still listen in Thu and Fri for the Manager's press conference and build up to the match.

And no more emergency phone in after a sacking. ?

That's why us the fans should step and put a stop to this right now.

6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I think you're being a bit unfair here. People power does work.

A few years back BBC were all set to shut down BBC 6 Music. Protests saved it and cuts were made elsewhere instead.

I don't recall poo-pooing any calls for protests?  ?‍♂️

I holiday in France, ffs!  ?

57 minutes ago, Srg said:

Would love to say I care but I really don’t. Radio is really old hat at this point and it needs to get with the times, unfortunately. Commentary has been poor and summarising even worse at times for a long while. That’s before you add in the absolute dirge that is Sportscene phone-in which digs up the dregs of the fan base more than this place does. 

But for some people that’s their outlet for discussing their team. Let’s be honest it’s very rarely younger people phoning in. 

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

With all due respect mate, whilst I've absolutely no problem with you cracking on and starting a petition and/or organising a protest, I have to pull you up for saying previous protest(s) saved Derby County.

As wonderful and awesome as the march was, and the positive vibes that followed it, only one thing saved Derby County, and that was a very generous Derby fan by the name of David Clowes handing over a very heavy bag loaded with money.

?

Playing devils advocate.........

Maybe Mr. Clowes was inspired to help by the atmosphere of the fans, including the march. If we hadn't have shown such togetherness and passion for DCFC he may not have made the same decision.

?

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

Playing devils advocate.........

Maybe Mr. Clowes was inspired to help by the atmosphere of the fans, including the march. If we hadn't have shown such togetherness and passion for DCFC he may not have made the same decision.

?

Quite possibly.  I've no idea.

I'd certainly like to think so.
As proud as I was to have taken part in the march, it adds an extra warming glow to think it actually made a difference.

... but that doesn't take away the fact that... for whatever reasons lay behind his decision... The club was SAVED by one man putting his hand in his pocket.  And long may we remain grateful and respectful to him for that. ?

Not a surprise in all honesty, this was rumoured to be happening a few years ago, was only a matter of time.

Think we will see area BBC buildings with shared studios including digital content like podcasts can be recorded, shows like Sport Scene might not be dead a buried, just not something that you would be able to tune into live on the radio. 

As a TV licence payer, I have to be honest and say I don’t personally get value for money in what I pay for each year as oppose to services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I kinda begrudge paying more, I would if I had to, not one of these that will challenge the legality behind it all. 

Outside of using the BBC Sport website occasionally and following the news accounts on Twitter, I would struggle to tell you what I watch/listen to. £160 a year, hmm.

Being outside the Derby area I would have to pay a fiver a month to listen to live commentary, yet for a few quid more and some computer location based trickery I get to actually watch the games, it’s a no brainer. Sport scene I can take it or leave it, I only really tune in when something major has happened, the emergency shows. Outside of that it’s a chat between content creators that I already follow online and can read their opinions through their social media channels.

I appreciate my usage case will be different to others on this forum, feel sorry for those that rely on these shows that are not savvy with the internet, however I can understand the logic behind moving to hybrid programmes whilst the TV licence fee remains frozen. I’m not sure they can really justify an increase whilst so many families are already struggling to keep the lights on and forced to buy a licence just for having a TV in their house. 

The solution quite simply is partial funding through advertisements…well that and and stop paying Gary Lineker £1.35m to front a football highlights show for 10 months of the year. 

Unfortunately,the bbc bosses gave up on serving local communities a long time ago amd are quite happy to sacrifice it and the world service which is vital to communities overseas in order to pursue other agendas....they have the money to support these services but they would rather use it elsewhere on more lucrative projects.

They lost their sense of purpose a long time ago sadly.

Massive shame as i genuinely enjoy sportscene,i like hearing from barry from burton and agnes from cotmanhay..it brings a sense of community and i still feel part of derby despite having moved away years ago.

I hope something can be done,afterall we stopped them closing down my beloved 6 music years ago after a massive uproar,perhaps it can be done again.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong