Radio Derby all in for Warne tonight

Curtains

4 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

What did you reckon today then?

Honestly, it’s not really changed my opinion.  The improved performance was down to 2 things, the change in formation meaning we had a lot more players playing in positions they are comfortable in, and Bristol being utterly dreadful. I would give credit to Warne if I thought he had made a conscious decision to change the formation to suit the players, rather than injuries forcing it, but he actively went out of his way post-match to make it clear he pretty much picks formations at random to squeeze in the players he wants, so no credit there.  And I have no faith in him sticking with the formation when everyone is fit again. Plus it’s hard to judge how much of the result was down to us playing well and them playing badly, especially when 3 of the goals were absolute defensive howlers from them.

I still think he’s a very limited manager, that has one trick to win games, and if it doesn’t work he’s clueless. And I don’t like the way he wants his football played.  But I said elsewhere in this thread that if he’d come in and taken Rosenior’s system and just put his own twist on it, then he’d have gotten a lot more slack from fans.  And I think that’s basically what we saw today. That 4231/422 system we played was close to how we were lining up for most of Rosenior’s games, but we just moved the ball forward a lot more aggressively.  He made a rod for his own back by trying to tear everything up and just re-run his Rotherham system with a completely different bunch of players.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Honestly, it’s not really changed my opinion.  The improved performance was down to 2 things, the change in formation meaning we had a lot more players playing in positions they are comfortable in, and Bristol being utterly dreadful. I would give credit to Warne if I thought he had made a conscious decision to change the formation to suit the players, rather than injuries forcing it, but he actively went out of his way post-match to make it clear he pretty much picks formations at random to squeeze in the players he wants, so no credit there.  And I have no faith in him sticking with the formation when everyone is fit again. Plus it’s hard to judge how much of the result was down to us playing well and them playing badly, especially when 3 of the goals were absolute defensive howlers from them.

I still think he’s a very limited manager, that has one trick to win games, and if it doesn’t work he’s clueless. And I don’t like the way he wants his football played.  But I said elsewhere in this thread that if he’d come in and taken Rosenior’s system and just put his own twist on it, then he’d have gotten a lot more slack from fans.  And I think that’s basically what we saw today. That 4231/422 system we played was close to how we were lining up for most of Rosenior’s games, but we just moved the ball forward a lot more aggressively.  He made a rod for his own back by trying to tear everything up and just re-run his Rotherham system with a completely different bunch of players.

Confused, contradictory nonsense, most especially your description of the goals we scored. He has not tried to " tear everything up", and the results give every reason for future confidence

3 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Your post makes the assumption that Derby playing well and Bristol Rovers playing badly were mutually exclusive - have you ever considered that Rovers played badly as we were playing so well and putting them under pressure and pressing then at every opportunity?

Haven't we been punished for defensive howlers this season? Forgot about Ipswich away so quickly? This isn't La Liga you know it's League 1 where the majority of the goals come from defensive mistakes.

Your post comes across as extremely churlish and petty, give Warne credit when it's due as I'm sure they'll be more than enough opportunity for you to slag him in the future.

44 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

, especially when 3 of the goals were absolute defensive howlers from them.

We wouldn’t have scored them under Rosenior. There was a “shock & awe” aspect to our opening 20 minutes and disagree therefore about defensive howlers:

1. 1st goal was really about NML power just nicking the ball off the toe of the defender - not a howler.

2. Goal #2 - a simple tap-in; noted that Rovers had no defenders on the posts from our corners which is indeed school-boy error-level tactics. 

3. Goal #3 again was about NML power stealing possession not an error

4. Goal #4 was about McG ghosting the defender and stealing the ball - again we would not have scored under Rosenior.

Sorry to disagree but I rate Warne especially his simple approach to what is a simple game made complex by young men with coaching badges and a point to prove.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We wouldn’t have scored them under Rosenior. There was a “shock & awe” aspect to our opening 20 minutes and disagree therefore about defensive howlers:

1. 1st goal was really about NML power just nicking the ball off the toe of the defender - not a howler.

2. Goal #2 - a simple tap-in; noted that Rovers had no defenders on the posts from our corners which is indeed school-boy error-level tactics. 

3. Goal #3 again was about NML power stealing possession not an error

4. Goal #4 was about McG ghosting the defender and stealing the ball - again we would not have scored under Rosenior.

Sorry to disagree but I rate Warne especially his simple approach to what is a simple game made complex by young men with coaching badges and a point to prove.

We pressed quite aggressively from the front under Rosenior too.  We just had to do it less often because we didn’t give the ball away so much.  A quick skim through the highlights from this season gives this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbx3yzflKlkt%3D1&t=87

At 1m27 an opposing defender plays a square ball that NML nips onto first, resulting in a shot on goal. And the the next highlight, McGoldrick harries a defender, nicks the ball off him and squares it for Collins to score.  There are loads of other examples of it too.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Your post comes across as extremely churlish and petty, give Warne credit when it's due as I'm sure they'll be more than enough opportunity for you to slag him in the future.

Like I said, I think the biggest change in performance was down to the change in formation. Almost every player was played in a position they were comfortable in, and you could see that both in how they played on the ball, and their understanding of their jobs re when to press etc.  if Warne had come out and said he’d made that change because players weren’t adapting well to the back 3, then I would have given him some credit. But he basically came out and said he didn’t think the formation mattered. So if he can’t see what it was that made the result so different yesterday, I don’t believe he will be able to replicate it.

One more game hasn’t influenced me further one way or another, especially where it seems that yesterdays victory was in major part due to some individual finishing brilliance from McGoldrick. Still seems an odd appointment to me, but we have another 3 points and we are still competing for a play-off position which is the minimum I expected this season. Hopefully as much as Warne wants to convert a number of our ball players into athletes, some of our ball players can convert Warne into a more rounded coach. Time will tell.

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We wouldn’t have scored them under Rosenior. 

Ummmm you're not disgreeing with me though as I took the original quote from another forum members post quote 3 of the goals came from defensive howlers unquote.

A point which I disagreed with if you look back.

So you're saying you disagree with a point I didn't make that actually both of us agree on.

You'd have been better served just replying to the OPs thread rather than mine. 

Fraid you've got this all wrapped round your neck a bit old bean. 

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Ummmm you're not disgreeing with me though as I took the original quote from another forum members post quote 3 of the goals came from defensive howlers unquote.

A point which I disagreed with if you look back.

So you're saying you disagree with a point I didn't make that actually both of us agree on.

You'd have been better served just replying to the OPs thread rather than mine. 

Fraid you've got this all wrapped round your neck a bit old bean. 

I agree that we agree so apologies- and have a nice day.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

One more game hasn’t influenced me further one way or another, especially where it seems that yesterdays victory was in major part due to some individual finishing brilliance from McGoldrick. Still seems an odd appointment to me, but we have another 3 points and we are still competing for a play-off position which is the minimum I expected this season. Hopefully as much as Warne wants to convert a number of our ball players into athletes, some of our ball players can convert Warne into a more rounded coach. Time will tell.

Great point. Why wouldn't you want to play to your team's strengths? It worked wonders yesterday.

9 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

One trick pony with three league 1 promotions under his belt,all with a budget of a tenner.

That's some pony......

Horse GIF

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Ultimately Warne knew in the grand scheme of things his budget at Rotherham was pitiful compared to the teams he was competing with at Championship level (and an owner that sold all his best players), he'd be mental to go up to that league and try and play passing football against teams with 5-15 times his budget and loans of the best youngsters from the Prem. We'll still see evidence of his style but he'll have more options to effect games.

How many were at the game yesterday? Nearly 28,000 I believe.

Yet another esteemed forum member on here from their post a couple of days ago will have you believe that Warne is responsible for alienating our fans and having a detrimental impact on home attendances.

As well as an associated long list of heinous crimes against the club on his charge sheet. 

Obviously so. 

9 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Have a day off 

10 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

UHonestly, it’s not really changed my opinion.  The improved performance was down to 2 things, the change in formation meaning we had a lot more players playing in positions they are comfortable in, and Bristol being utterly dreadful. I would give credit to Warne if I thought he had made a conscious decision to change the formation to suit the players, rather than injuries forcing it, but he actively went out of his way post-match to make it clear he pretty much picks formations at random to squeeze in the players he wants, so no credit there.  And I have no faith in him sticking with the formation when everyone is fit again. Plus it’s hard to judge how much of the result was down to us playing well and them playing badly, especially when 3 of the goals were absolute defensive howlers from them.

Being a tad harsh there.  If Warne was adamant on playing 3 at the back he could easily have done so with Fozzy, Cashin, Stearman and Rooney all available.  Instead he played a formation and an 11 to get a result and, we’ll, it worked.  He said he always wants to try and pick the best 11 to win a game.  You’ve interpreted that as “he actively went out of his way post-match to make it clear he pretty much picks formations at random to squeeze in the players he wants”. This is a manager who consistently played 3-5-2 for 6 years at Rotherham!!  He started with that here, and why not?  Start with what you know has worked, especially in L1.  The good thing is he changed it but was still able to put his stamp on it - passed quickly, with purpose, high press.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Great point. Why wouldn't you want to play to your team's strengths? It worked wonders yesterday.

I made this point on the matchday thread yesterday:

Remember the '86 world cup. It was only after injuries to 'key' players, that Bobby Robson started picking the right team.

Going to 4-4-2 wasn't a decision by Warne, it's been forced on him by injuries. Let's hope he sees the benefit.