Derby v Man City U21s Matchday Thread

archram

Well we all want Derby to win, but like most I wasn't too bothered about the result - the team selection said Warne was using this match to look at a few things and try a few things to see what happened. And after a fairly eventless first half, except a clear demonstration that playing a back three with everyone up the pitch against one of the fastest wingers in the game wasn't a wise tactic. Especially when the warnings were ignored so many times. And After city had gone ahead, it looked like we were going to be completely over-run for the next 10 minutes or so. But we clawed our way back in and found that putting balls into their box caused them problems. City were good going forwards, but not so good at the back. The equalizer was the result.

The match continued in ,much the same way in the second half, and although City were much better players, we weren't out of it by any stretch of the imagination. Until we got EFL'd again. After giving soft free-kicks to City all match long, a 50 - 50 challenge left the Derby player fouled and on the floor, for much the same thing he had been gifting to City, and the ball broke to ........ yep the fastest winger on earth, and there was only one conclusion. And that was game over. The substitutions livened things up, and a slightly kinder fall of the ball may well have seen a come back. But the decisions against Derby got worse and worse, along with city players mysteriously going down inured and needing treatment every time Derby built up a head of steam. In the end 1 - 3 against a team from Manchester City is n ot too bad - expecting us to beat them was somewhat of a wild expectation, given that the cost of the Under 21 team could have bought who knows how many Derby County teams. The gulf is absolutely enormous! But although I am not bothered too much about the result, I am left furious at yet another awful decision which swung the game, followed by a whole load of inept decisions for the rest of the match.

The good things we can take out of this is that Paul Warne will have learned a heck of a lot about his squad tonight, and hopefully a lot about various tactical ideas he was thinking about.

And so to Ipswich!

Oh - the pizza's a pretty good for a fast food outlet, but the trophy is crep.

Edited by DavesaRam

i think the only embarrassing thing is so many ill thought-out replies to a tinpot cup which will only distract us from league. it's funny how so many posters so called supporters think we should win every game when our squads have been decimated. and that three months ago we were very closed to going to the wall remember who probably richest club in world are can attract as many youngsters as the want on good wages. People need to get a grip.

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well we all want Derby to win, but like most I wasn't too bothered about the result - the team selection said Warne was using this match to look at a few things and try a few things to see what happened. And after a fairly eventless first half, except a clear demonstration that playing a back three with everyone up the pitch against one of the fastest wingers in the game wasn't a wise tactic. Especially when the warnings were ignored so many times. And After city had gone ahead, it looked like we were going to be completely over-run for the next 10 minutes or so. But we clawed our way back in and found that putting balls into their box caused them problems. City were good going forwards, but not so good at the back. The equalizer was the result.

The match continued in ,much the same way in the second half, and although City were much better players, we weren't out of it by any stretch of the imagination. Until we got EFL'd again. After giving soft free-kicks to City all match long, a 50 - 50 challenge left the Derby player fouled and on the floor, for much the same thing he had been gifting to City, and the ball broke to ........ yep the fastest winger on earth, and there was only one conclusion. And that was game over. The substitutions livened things up, and a slightly kinder fall of the ball may well have seen a come back. But the decisions against Derby got worse and worse, along with city players mysteriously going down inured and needing treatment every time Derby built up a head of steam. In the end 1 - 3 against a team from Manchester City is n ot too bad - expecting us to beat them was somewhat of a wild expectation, given that the cost of the Under 21 team could have bought who knows how many Derby County teams. The gulf is absolutely enormous! But although I am not bothered too much about the result, I am left furious at yet another awful decision which swung the game, followed by a whole load of inept decisions for the rest of the match.

The good things we can take out of this is that Paul Warne will have learned a heck of a lot about his squad tonight, and hopefully a lot about various tactical ideas he was thinking about.

And so to Ipswich!

Oh - the pizza's a pretty good for a fast food outlet, but the trophy is crep.

I’ll never eat PJ pizza again. Not that I ever have

Edited by StrawHillRam

Does anyone remember when Real Madrid once lost to a third tier side in the Copa del Rey?

Or when they lost to a Moldovan side in the Champions League?

Footballers and coaches are human. Off nights can happen. Upsets can happen.

This is only worrying if we follow up tonight with poor shows v Ipswich, Exeter and Bristol Rovers.

Let’s see.

In the morning I won't care at all about the result, will probably be happy we don't have this unnecessary distraction and won't be particularly embarrassed. Right now though I'm disappointed with the performance even if it was our second string as some seem to suggest (not sure if anyone has told McGoldrick, Collins, Smith, Sibley, Bird and Knight that they're only second string players). Like others, my immediate reaction is to be a little down after any defeat even friendlies.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Does anyone remember when Real Madrid once lost to a third tier side in the Copa del Rey?

Or when they lost to a Moldovan side in the Champions League?

Footballers and coaches are human. Off nights can happen. Upsets can happen.

This is only worrying if we follow up tonight with poor shows v Ipswich, Exeter and Bristol Rovers.

Let’s see.

Either of them have U21 at the end.  

Beaten by a team of very fast technicians. Not only moving the ball quickly but showing excellent control and good discipline as a unit. Mind you, that’s what you’d expect from the academy of a Premier league title challengers.

Tommo did make a mistake and get caught for the third goal but I though he had an excellent game. Huge energy and plenty of skill. Collins worked very very hard but looked like a league 1 striker when faced with lightning quick opponents. You could see Cashin added composure to our defence. He oozes quality. I thought Fozzy helped us a lot. Putting his foot on the ball, wining headers and stopping crosses.. doing simple stuff well. Oh Sibbo .. that was late wasn’t it ! Very silly, Frustration I suppose. Meh, he’ll learn. 
A series of lousy second half decisions from the officials didn’t help. A couple were plain embarrassing. Don’t like this ethos where players seem to be told, if you lose the ball go down anyway, you might get a jammy decision .. whilst I am sure we aren’t driven snow, some of the City lads were a disgrace. That doesn’t detract from the fact that we were deservedly beaten but not for want of effort. Glad Knighty is ok. … Right then, we won’t be playing Ferraris on Friday. It’s Tractors so we are in with a shout. COYR