Derby v Man City U21s Matchday Thread

archram

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The world's best U21 side would be mid-table in the PL.

Generally speaking, England age groups are at the following level of ability:

England U21s - Upper Championship to lower PL
England U20s - Mid to Upper Championship
England U19s - Upper L1 to Mid Championship

Man City had a full international at CM, and 1x U21, 2x U20, 3x U19 and 3x U18.

Three or four of the U21 team have been in several Man City squads this season.

I'm willing to bet at least half of that team we just lost to will be playing Championship football next season.

Wigan, Ipswich, Wycombe, Hull, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Sunderland and Rotherham have all lost to U21 sides over the past 3 seasons. All have either won promotion during that period, or are in a very good position to do so this season.

All things considered, it's not a disaster for our second string 11 of players needing match fitness to lose to a very good U21 side.

for me, it was a training game. that's all.

13 hours ago, Magicman said:

Totally smashed by an U21 team - embarrassing and shocking to watch. 

Right then, let’s send them ALL out to Carlisle on loan or offer them an early retirement package. That would sort it. 

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fans invest a lot of themselves in the team and with the rise of social media it’s now too easy to display it.

Having watched our success in the 60s and 70s I remember the fun it can be. I think last season evoked that feeling but without the success, this season we ‘need’ to have success (imho). 

We certainly do Roy. Yes it seems as if we havent had fun for a while. I wasnt around in 60s and 70s I was only little. Various promotions were fun seasons and my favourite fun period was the Jim Smith years. Then Mac 1. I think Frank's season was fun but it was built on sand and the hangover seemed to erupt at the Joiners Arms. Last season was passionate and the togetherness amazing but not sure about fun! You are right we need fun times!

21 hours ago, Tricky1884 said:

Quite a few our "Fans" were a total embarrassment yesterday and we should be ashamed as a club. Screaming at Youth Players because they out classed us.  Honestly, I won't be going next season if that's the level of fan that turns up.  Just ridiculous!!

Maybe you should find another sport to follow if you're that sensitive. 

On 19/10/2022 at 15:54, OohMartWright said:

Those who are criticising/questioning Warne for saying Thompson played well need to remember that his job is to build confidence, not destroy it. Personally, I think Thompson would benefit greatly from a loan to a League 2 or National League club.

Yes. He’s right to praise his work rate. And Tommo’s confidence is not at an all time high just now so he needs a boost. He’s mentioned Tommo twice now and hopefully PW will turn him around 

11 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Its not just when we lose. Its similarly OTT when we win. Suddenly we're going to win the league, PW is god,etc then we lose and it starts again in reverse! Seems worse since we appointed PW as few fans seemed to assume we're then automatic champions.   

You’re absolutely right, everything does seem OTT and in extremes.  I think this season is about putting everything in place for next year and it’s not promotion at all costs.  We’ve started from rock bottom.  We needed players and we had to deal in the free transfer market and LR did a great job in bringing them in.  DC seems measured.  He took his time in getting the right manager/head coach.  The next step is ahead of Recruitment.  Get things in place this year whilst being competitive, be ready to go for it next year.

On 19/10/2022 at 20:46, Tricky1884 said:

Quite a few our "Fans" were a total embarrassment yesterday and we should be ashamed as a club. Screaming at Youth Players because they out classed us.  Honestly, I won't be going next season if that's the level of fan that turns up.  Just ridiculous!!

Which youth players are you referring too? It was a very strong side made up of mainly first team players ?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Oduroh and Rooney should still U21 squad players. They're involved in the first team out of necessity. 
Roberts, Dobbin and Osula are on loan from other U21 teams.

But they are not novices, they have all been in the first team picture and played quite regularly this season. Not that that means they should be abused of course ?