Derby County v Port Vale - The Matchday Thread

Day

21 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

and certainly don’t see how the ref can give it from the position he was in (ie. 30 yards away),

Well I was 130 yards away.  I wasn’t looking at Collins. But the guy next to me evidently was, because the moment before the ref pulled out the red card he said ‘you ducking idiot. Well that’s a red.” 

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well I was 130 yards away.  I wasn’t looking at Collins. But the guy next to me evidently was, because the moment before the ref pulled out the red card he said ‘you ducking idiot. Well that’s a red.” 

Reminds me of when Franny Lee got sent off for failing to punch Norman Hunter. That was a crap decision too. At least on that occasion the ref sent the provocateur off as well! 

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

That's not my quote you've quoted ?

Caveat : a few beers in therefore no real point to the below other than to download.

Not sure how we lost this one. With my old (TBE era) beer goggles on with a romantic view of 3-5-2 i hoped/expected more... control. For me, Hourihane was really poor - his game is meant to be set pieces and being steady - he did neither. Really poor IMO.Didn't do any of the things he should bring.

Cashin was excellent. Some great passes and played like we wish we could as fans. Something about him connects - I hope/think he loves it / us. Just feel he has that extra 10%.

Some utterly stupid decisions by the ref.. and Stearman - robbed.

I wondered how PW would handle it and I have to be honest, much better than I would have. Really, really like the guy. I hope being a decent, bright person is enough to drive us on. His interview was so much better than mine wouldv'e been - fair play.

I know we all think we have a decent L1 team but based on what we've seen, I'm not sure we do. I think we've kidded ourselves into thinking 'we're DCFC - Prem in waiting, etc, etc' and the reality is that we've gathered some decent but flawed characters and we live in hope that they believe in us. Based on today, I see why some of them are with us at this moment. 

Anyway, big plus is that I believe in PW more than any manager for a long, long time and that's a big positive. 

I was in a very good mood as I had just passed my viva exam for my PhD.. but I am sorry that was absolutely shocking from almost start to finish. Playing a 3-5-2 is absolutely bizarre with the players we have available and I'm sorry but playing direct with bird and hourihane in  midfield who's bright idea was that?  We asked port vale onto us trying to kill them onto the counter and ultimately even though the ref was shocking we got our just desserts. We're derby county, at home in front of 29,000 people and asking a recent promoted team from the 4th division to attack us so we can nick a couple via speed, it's an absolute fu**ing embarrassment.  

Anytime they got the ball down any wide area they looked dangerous, any time they dared to press they looked dangerous, any time they lumped the ball into the box they looked dangerous. This is not because they are good but because of the ridiculous formation, style and pressing mechanisms we used throughout the game. If this is the Warne revolution as far as I'm concerned I want to show him the door and give him back to Rotherham right now. It stank of defensive, stilted play that I'd expect of a team playing unfashionable 3rd division football. I fu**ing hated every moment.  Why anyone wanted this guy beyond his personality and interview style is beyond me... he's a typical 3rd division manager with about as much imagination as a stunted man child when it comes to how to play the game as demonstrated today.

Edited by Leeds Ram

2 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Do you think the club will appeal the decision 

No because if it's deemed the refs mistake wasn't obvious he'll be banned for 4 games.  If you appeal and we don't like it  we penalise you more.  Sounds like the EFL and why crap refs keep plying their trade.  

19 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I was in a very good mood as I had just passed my viva exam for my PhD.. but I am sorry that was absolutely shocking from almost start to finish. Playing a 3-5-2 is absolutely bizarre with the players we have available and I'm sorry but playing direct with bird and hourihane in  midfield who's bright idea was that?  We asked port vale onto us trying to kill them onto the counter and ultimately even though the ref was shocking we got our just desserts. We're derby county, at home in front of 29,000 people and asking a recent promoted team from the 4th division to attack us so we can nick a couple via speed, it's an absolute fu**ing embarrassment.  

Anytime they got the ball down any wide area they looked dangerous, any time they dared to press they looked dangerous, any time they lumped the ball into the box they looked dangerous. This is not because they are good but because of the ridiculous formation, style and pressing mechanisms we used throughout the game. If this is the Warne revolution as far as I'm concerned I want to show him the door and give him back to Rotherham right now. It stank of defensive, stilted play that I'd expect of a team playing unfashionable 3rd division football. I fu**ing hated every moment.  Why anyone wanted this guy beyond his personality and interview style is beyond me... he's a typical 3rd division manager with about as much imagination as a stunted man child when it comes to how to play the game as demonstrated today.

Barkhuizen and Laing will be off in January as they can't play this formation effectively.  At the minute Barkhuizen is playing with the wrong foot in a position he openly stated he didn't like playing for Preston when he came here.  Laing is an out and out winger .  His effectiveness has notably dropped playing this formation, where he's advancing over the half way line rather than starting further forward.  

5 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

I know we all think we have a decent L1 team but based on what we've seen, I'm not sure we do. I think we've kidded ourselves into thinking 'we're DCFC - Prem in waiting, etc, etc' and the reality is that we've gathered some decent but flawed characters and we live in hope that they believe in us. Based on today, I see why some of them are with us at this moment. 

Anyway, big plus is that I believe in PW more than any manager for a long, long time and that's a big positive. 

I've hung fire on making an opinion on our recruitment until now, I'm of the same opinion that we've brought in a collection of players which obviously we needed as our squad was on its arse in the summer - but in the same way Forest fans must have been creaming themselves when transfer number 18 then 19 then 20 came through the door we've fallen into the same trap and it's a classic case of quantity over quality (which again we unfortunately needed due to not having remotely enough players to start the campaign with).

Only being able to trade with free transfers and out of contract players further restricts the situation. 

I'm reading comments from Warne that after this exercise we still don't have strength in depth so we need to go again in January.

I'll be amazed if we get in the Top 2 this season with these players and even the playoffs is looking 50/50 for me.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've hung fire on making an opinion on our recruitment until now, I'm of the same opinion that we've brought in a collection of players which obviously we needed as our squad was on its arse in the summer - but in the same way Forest fans must have been creaming themselves when transfer number 18 then 19 then 20 came through the door we've fallen into the same trap and it's a classic case of quantity over quality (which again we unfortunately needed due to not having remotely enough players to start the campaign with).

Only being able to trade with free transfers and out of contract players further restricts the situation. 

I'm reading comments from Warne that after this exercise we still don't have strength in depth so we need to go again in January.

I'll be amazed if we get in the Top 2 this season with these players and even the playoffs is looking 50/50 for me.

Amazingly harsh on the recruitment here. You’re forgetting we remain under significant restrictions, in the circumstances we have cobbled together possibly the best squad we could’ve hoped for, one that has given us a fighting chance to be in and around it, but by no means the strongest squad in the league. 

I agree with you though, top 2 will be tough from here and pre-season was never really on in my mind. I think we’ll finish between 4th and 10th but couldn’t tell you where within that at this stage.

Given what happened in the summer what’s happened is probably the best we could expect, to be in the mix for top 6, position ourselves well to hopefully have a good run to solidly get us in the top 6 

15 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Amazingly harsh on the recruitment here. You’re forgetting we remain under significant restrictions, in the circumstances we have cobbled together possibly the best squad we could’ve hoped for, one that has given us a fighting chance to be in and around it, but by no means the strongest squad in the league. 

I agree with you though, top 2 will be tough from here and pre-season was never really on in my mind. I think we’ll finish between 4th and 10th but couldn’t tell you where within that at this stage.

Given what happened in the summer what’s happened is probably the best we could expect, to be in the mix for top 6, position ourselves well to hopefully have a good run to solidly get us in the top 6 

Not meant to be harsh just an indictment of where we are so far. 

And I made reference to the fact that we had to and still will have to limit the talent pool we're fishing in due to having to deal with freebies.

Just think that our current squads abilities is nowhere near where some supporters think it is and this disconnect shows up in their personal expectations.