Derby County v Port Vale - The Matchday Thread

Day

As @archram let us down last night missing her penalties, I feel like it's time to restore the faith, bring back the good times, until the players do somethin' stupid.

With me and my monkey Paul Warne, let me entertain you and rid the memory of the shame in losing to a Nigel Clough side.

It's going to be the greatest day for you all, except @Cisse who has no regrets in supporting not one but TWO league 1 clubs.

A collision of worlds will ultimately see defeat for his Port Vale as we all feel sexed up with our 3 points.

The penalties were to determine who got a bonus point, in this competition at this stage, it’s a separate entity from the game.

Them winning the shootout didn’t mean they progressed at our expense like a normal penalty shootout. If anything, we’ll probably progress and Mansfield won’t in the end 

May as well let 5 people in the crowd take a pen. Farcical. 

Edited by Diego

The use of subs last night suggests who will start at the weekend. Tbh, it's difficult to change a winning team, so it's the same 11 as those who played vs Cambridge.

Wildsmith

Chester   Davies   Cashin

Mendez-Laing   Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Barkhuizen

Dobbin   Collins

Subs: Loach, Stearman, Forsyth, Roberts, Tommo, Sibley, Osula

30 minutes ago, David said:

Come off it, we lost, there was not an equal reward, Mansfield were awarded more points as they won the game.

38549031-8DA3-4A98-B049-18DD93031FD9.jpeg

You’ve not answered the question, if we lost why did we get point. If Mansfield won why did they only get 2 points and not the 3 like we did for beating Grimsby. 3 points for a win ,1 point for a draw, 1 bonus point for winning the penalty shootout.

22 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

You’ve not answered the question, if we lost why did we get point. If Mansfield won why did they only get 2 points and not the 3 like we did for beating Grimsby. 3 points for a win ,1 point for a draw, 1 bonus point for winning the penalty shootout.

Because that's what the rules are for the EFL trophy, doesn't mean it's not a loss, it's not the same rules as the league so no point even comparing the two.

17 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

The answer is quite simple though - because the format of the competition defies normal logic.

We drew the game but lost the tie.

It's like when 'away goals' was a thing - lose 3-1 at home, win 2-0 away and it's 3-3 but you lose? How can you lose the tie if you've scored the same number of goals as the opposition, isn't that a draw?

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The use of subs last night suggests who will start at the weekend. Tbh, it's difficult to change a winning team, so it's the same 11 as those who played vs Cambridge.

Wildsmith

Chester   Davies   Cashin

Mendez-Laing   Knight   Bird   Hourihane   Barkhuizen

Dobbin   Collins

Subs: Loach, Stearman, Forsyth, Roberts, Tommo, Sibley, Osula

I think this is very likely Warne's team. Hope Sibley gets half an hour for this game, to make his case, as I strongly believe we're better with him in the starting lineup.

1 minute ago, David said:

Because that's what the rules are for the EFL trophy, doesn't mean it's not a loss, it's not the same rules as the league so no point even comparing the two.

I wasn’t comparing the two, we drew the match and lost the shootout, fact. You don’t get a point for losing in any competition that I can recall.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I wasn’t comparing the two, we drew the match and lost the shootout, fact. You don’t get a point for losing in any competition that I can recall.

Misread, apologies.

You get one in the EFL trophy, just like you also get U23 teams. 

Call it what you like, a bonus point or whatever. We lost and it's not a big deal.

The club even wrote Mansfield won. 

2 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

The answer is quite simple though - because the format of the competition defies normal logic.

We drew the game but lost the tie.

It's like when 'away goals' was a thing - lose 3-1 at home, win 2-0 away and it's 3-3 but you lose? How can you lose the tie if you've scored the same number of goals as the opposition, isn't that a draw?

Because that’s a knockout competition, this is a league format.

It’s not difficult, if we lost it means Mansfield won, if Mansfield won why didn’t they get 3 points. 
we drew, Mansfield got a bonus point for winning the shootout as per the competition rules.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Misread, apologies.

You get one in the EFL trophy, just like you also get U23 teams. 

Call it what you like, a bonus point or whatever. We lost and it's not a big deal.

The club even wrote Mansfield won. 

Ok, how about we say Derby lost but we can still win the trophy ??

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

Because that’s a knockout competition, this is a league format.

It’s not difficult, if we lost it means Mansfield won, if Mansfield won why didn’t they get 3 points. 
we drew, Mansfield got a bonus point for winning the shootout as per the competition rules.

Did you stay to watch the penalties last night?

If so, why? With what you're saying the game is over after 90 minutes, it's a draw and that's that.

Yet it's not. 

You are just awarded less points if you win the game on penalties rather than in normal time.

It's an attempt to avoid teams playing out for a draw.