Derby County v Port Vale - The Matchday Thread

Day

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Not meant to be harsh just an indictment of where we are so far. 

And I made reference to the fact that we had to and still will have to limit the talent pool we're fishing in due to having to deal with freebies.

Just think that our current squads abilities is nowhere near where some supporters think it is and this disconnect shows up in their personal expectations.

Shouldn’t have skim read your post, can’t disagree with any of that. 

I think our first 11 is as good as anyone, beyond that we struggle a bit. But regardless of the personnel we’re by no means a team yet. Ipswich Plymouth Sheff Weds and Portsmouth have all had 18 months to 2 years at it, we’ve had 3.5 months and now a manager change.

It took us 2 seasons last time we were down here, it’s not unreasonable to suggest it will take that again. 

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How has the foul on Chester not been brought up? The one the ref played advantage for. Seemed a pretty clear yellow card offence to me  and my understanding is if it results in a red card, play is stopped and no advantage is played?

Yes, and the player committing the foul was already on a yellow, and which arguably should have his second yellow because he spent most of the first half diving. And ironically he scored their second peno and was involved in their second goal as well.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Unfortunately I think there is enough ambiguity in rules that the FA would support the referee’s interpretation of the incident, but that doesn’t make it the right decision.

I’ve watched it again, still no red card for me.

For me it's a red day and night. He forearm smashes him in the head/face. He knew exactly what he was doing. 

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The chance to keep reffing in this league without another complaint from Port Vale ?  I'd suggest we put in a complaint.  Might bring the players chocolates and flowers next time he comes here.

It was a good while after Atwells performance that he reffed us again?, I really dislike this person ?

We should have gone in a half time 2 or 3 up but missed good chances .  They got a lifeline back from the peno but from then on we struggled to manage the game and players lost their battles. Like to see Smith, Rooney & McGoldrick back asap. 

12 minutes ago, Archie said:

For me it's a red day and night. He forearm smashes him in the head/face. He knew exactly what he was doing. 

If he’d done as you say then the police should get involved. 

Except it wasn’t at all as you describe, he’s clearly hitting the ground and doesn’t make any contact with the player who conned the ref to get him sent off. 

5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

We should have gone in a half time 2 or 3 up but missed good chances .  They got a lifeline back from the peno but from then on we struggled to manage the game and players lost their battles. Like to see Smith, Rooney & McGoldrick back asap. 

McGoaldroughts out with a groin strain for the next few weeks is he not?

13 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Flag across the chest signal was scrapped a couple of years ago. The signal for a penalty now is running towards the corner flag with flag down pointing at the ground, coming to a standstill on the corner.

On the subject of linesmen, and the massive offside missed just before their first goal The lino below the east stand had the sun in his face and was running the line trying to shield his eyes with one hand. He looked like a sailor on lookout in a gender fluid farce. The PV right wing was about 4 yards offside. 

Why would linesmen not be issued with baseball caps so that they have a chance of doing their job when this happens? And if they don’t have one, why wouldn’t they just ask someone - anyone - for one ?

8 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I was in a very good mood as I had just passed my viva exam for my PhD.. but I am sorry that was absolutely shocking from almost start to finish. Playing a 3-5-2 is absolutely bizarre with the players we have available and I'm sorry but playing direct with bird and hourihane in  midfield who's bright idea was that?  We asked port vale onto us trying to kill them onto the counter and ultimately even though the ref was shocking we got our just desserts. We're derby county, at home in front of 29,000 people and asking a recent promoted team from the 4th division to attack us so we can nick a couple via speed, it's an absolute fu**ing embarrassment.  

Anytime they got the ball down any wide area they looked dangerous, any time they dared to press they looked dangerous, any time they lumped the ball into the box they looked dangerous. This is not because they are good but because of the ridiculous formation, style and pressing mechanisms we used throughout the game. If this is the Warne revolution as far as I'm concerned I want to show him the door and give him back to Rotherham right now. It stank of defensive, stilted play that I'd expect of a team playing unfashionable 3rd division football. I fu**ing hated every moment.  Why anyone wanted this guy beyond his personality and interview style is beyond me... he's a typical 3rd division manager with about as much imagination as a stunted man child when it comes to how to play the game as demonstrated today.

Agree with almost the lot in there, Except your last sentence, Trying to be funny after a good explanation and passing your viva PhD is a fail...leave the joke to us pros  

58 minutes ago, Archie said:

The fact that a PV defender who was 5 yards away rushed to the ‘victim’s’ defence and shoved Collins backwards supports your view. Would he do that if JC were slapping the ground in frustration ?