Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

56 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I worked in an office where another team had created a wall display of a tree,  with cut out leaves in a bag on which you were supposed to write nice messages about other people in your team and stick them on the tree.

Suffice to say I thought it horrendously naff and forced in the extreme.

F8BF3B28-6946-47CC-9D8B-DE863BE8F15C.jpeg

Any new manager we've had come in, we've always been super excited about the way he has talked before his first game and so on. Paul Warne is no different IMO.

Lets see what it looks like on the pitch. I'm expecting a lot of confusion between the old tactics and new tactics - so it'll be interesting how well the players adapt.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I worked in an office where another team had created a wall display of a tree,  with cut out leaves in a bag on which you were supposed to write nice messages about other people in your team and stick them on the tree.

In my experience, managers who have read it in a book or learnt it on a course are the ones who try such stuff. To a man, and woman, they have been awful man-managers who hate their team but are trying to impress higher management.

I trust PW doesn't come into this category!

On 29/09/2022 at 08:56, angieram said:

I agree, Saffy. 

The interview and all the media around it has made me feel uncomfortable,  it's all overkill at this stage.

It went on too long - very complicated answers, thought Warne was trying too hard. My comment about the coffee was only partly in jest, he really needs to calm down a bit! Maybe the club could do the same. We've hardly signed up Fergie - and if we have he's more Darren than Alex! 

From where I sit, the fans were enjoying the fact we were trying to play football, weren't calling for the manager's head, so there's that bit of unease around the way Liam has been treated. He failed his target - so what was that? We were seventh after the start to the season we had, hardly dismissal material.

As for Warne, I didn't like him before, he's very aggressive on the touchline, a bit of a bully with the officials, I sit above the away dug out so see it every game. Seems to encourage his players in the dark arts, Crooks springs to mind as an example. A good footballer, but playing on the edge of legitimacy all the time - more bullying.

I think some players will respond well to him, but others? I don't know. I know I wouldn't want my boss texting me all hours with snippets - there needs to be boundaries, imo.

So, all that touchy feely stuff left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. 

However, what I did like, was when he started talking tactics. He suddenly grabbed my attention and I liked what I was hearing. My fears about the sort of football we're going to see have subsided somewhat, especially as we've not got those sorts of players available to him (currently).

If he can deliver what he says, and if he can tone it down a bit, I'll be happy. But I'm not in the fanclub yet! 

If it’s dark arts mastery you want, sack Warne and get this guy in (add beard and bobble hat as required)

voldemort laughing harry potter GIF

We were given feedback from a survey of what other staff members thought of us. The reports highlighted the negative comments and made all of us feel miserable and undervalued. Whatever senior management intended it backfired spectacularly (and still rankles over two decades later!)

7 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

We were given feedback from a survey of what other staff members thought of us. The reports highlighted the negative comments and made all of us feel miserable and undervalued. Whatever senior management intended it backfired spectacularly (and still rankles over two decades later!)

Idea for moderator feedback survey?

53 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Any new manager we've had come in, we've always been super excited about the way he has talked before his first game and so on. Paul Warne is no different IMO.

Lets see what it looks like on the pitch. I'm expecting a lot of confusion between the old tactics and new tactics - so it'll be interesting how well the players adapt.

Can you imagaine a new manager comes in and doesn't give a positive interview?

He doesn't strike so much as a "this is what we're doing so shape up or ship out" kind of guy (tactics wise), seems far more pragmatic than that (ok, these are the players I've got, this is what they're good at), but I do expect a few "old habits die hard" moments in the coming weeks and months as the team finds itself in difficult situations and reverts to safe backwards passes and so on because they just can't help themselves.

30 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

A few of us had a great time coming up with the 'bush of misery' which would allow us to stick up comments like 'Steve made a terrible cuppa', 'Steve did that annoying fake laugh on the phone again' etc. But we decided it may seen as slightly negative.

On 29/09/2022 at 04:06, Srg said:

At this stage, as with any manager, it’s  all a wait and see. Can’t say I’m hugely for it, but at least I’m not against it (Nigel Pearson, anyone?). 

The one thing I will say though, is it is lovely to not be obsessed with celebrity for once. There’s no Lampard, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, Cocu etc etc. even Rosenior to a degree was a tv guy. It’s finally nice to have none of it still in the club. 

This, this, this, this, this and a mahoooosive pile of THIS!!!!!!!!!!

A few of us had a great time coming up with the 'bush of misery' which would allow us to stick up comments like 'Steve made a terrible cuppa', 'Steve did that annoying fake laugh on the phone again' etc. But we decided it may seen as slightly negative.

You saw my feedback then didn't you! (fake guffaw and tea like essence de chat)!?

I admit that I usually feel blindly optimistic when we get a new manager. This time is no exception. 

The only slight difference is that Paul Warne had indicated that he'll do exactly the things I would do as a manager. I now have this vision of this being a game of Football Manager played out in reality, where I'm the boss.

The only worry is, when I play 352, work on fitness, get the ball forward quickly, press high, get regular crosses in and orchestrate clever set piece routines, I lose most games and get sacked before Christmas.

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

In my experience, managers who have read it in a book or learnt it on a course are the ones who try such stuff. To a man, and woman, they have been awful man-managers who hate their team but are trying to impress higher management.

I trust PW doesn't come into this category!

He's not a noob like Liam was,this guys been the heart and soul of a club for the past six years gaining three promotions despite only having the budget of spondon town council.

And it would appear that his squad and indeed the supporters bloody loved him.

I don’t believe that Warne will ditch the tactics that have brought him the success in Div1 . He certainly won’t need 2 midfielders protecting a back 3 as he likes to pin teams in their own half. This could be bad news for Bird as Hourihane will be needed to put as many free kicks as possible into the opposition box. I think Fozzy will get used more as he is good in the air and can score goals. Warne will way up what he needs and wheel n deal in January. Good luck P. W.

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I don’t believe that Warne will ditch the tactics that have brought him the success in Div1 . He certainly won’t need 2 midfielders protecting a back 3 as he likes to pin teams in their own half. This could be bad news for Bird as Hourihane will be needed to put as many free kicks as possible into the opposition box. I think Fozzy will get used more as he is good in the air and can score goals. Warne will way up what he needs and wheel n deal in January. Good luck P. W.

Probably good news for Bird. Bird’s best football over the past couple of years have been when he had Bielik as the defensive midfielder and was allowed to move more. 

Indeed the result at 5 o'clock tomorrow is the key thing BUT am already really enjoying "Warney's" appearances on Rams TV pre-match.

Funny bobble hats, use of words like "narcissistic" and superb attention to detail like the "Why wall". Understanding one another's motivations brings teams closer together and builds tight bonds which then get translated into fighting for one another on the pitch. Sure some people may think that's verging on the naff BUT I can assure you that's the sort of "compassionate leadership" that a certain Mr Brian Howerd Clough practised every week with his teams; It's high emotional intelligence and it builds trust and an espirit de corps very quickly. I wonder where Warney has picked up these practices because they are the very same that organisational leadership experts are preaching across the Globe, because they work and produce highly performing and productive teams. 

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He's not a noob like Liam was,this guys been the heart and soul of a club for the past six years gaining three promotions despite only having the budget of spondon town council.

And it would appear that his squad and indeed the supporters bloody loved him.

Spondon must have grown a lot since I left.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Probably good news for Bird. Bird’s best football over the past couple of years have been when he had Bielik as the defensive midfielder and was allowed to move more. 

Plus he made some quip the other day about Bird, Sibley and Knight along the lines of being a midfield dream team and he’d spoken to 2 of them but not Knight obviously.

Gave me encouraging vibe he fancies working with them, to get the best he can out of the 3 of them together.

edit: only a page back, see @RoyMac5 twitter’ post

Edited by Zag zig