Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Never turn down the chance of promotion.  For a start, you don't know what you're being promoted into

There are other clubs struggling with finances, so if we went up this season we could be entering a league where 2-3 teams have points deductions, giving us a decent chance to stay up.

If not getting promotion this season guaranteed promotion next season, sure, but we could stay down this season and then finish 13th next year, entering season 3 as one of those clubs who look like they'll be stuck down here for years.

The longer we stay in League One the harder it gets, and the quality of players we can attract gets lower and lower.

The only two times we were down here before, we fared okay in our first season and we were promoted comfortably in our second. The last time we went straight up to the top tier the next season. Stop being the preacher of doom.

12 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The only two times we were down here before, we fared okay in our first season and we were promoted comfortably in our second. The last time we went straight up to the top tier the next season. Stop being the preacher of doom.

Surely if I was being the preacher of doom I'd have agreed that we don't want to go up, that there's no point because we'll only come back down again rather than putting forward a situation where we go up and stay up despite our restrictions?

Am I really expected to take what happened in 1955-1957 and 1984-1987 into consideration here?

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

We didn't get promoted comfortably, we collapsed towards the end of that season and only got promoted because of a dodgy penalty in that famous game against Rotherham, which mean't we finished third, there were no play offs then.

I’ll keep banging the drum but play offs are no go this season and I imagine our finish to the season will be mediocre at best. 

Warne clearly needs the summer to get his players in. But then I think it’s fair to judge him on next season. 

I’m a fair man though and I’m happy to share some of my concerns; He seems very tactically limited, has no pull in the transfer market and his teams have a pattern of running out of steam 2/3 in to a season. If Warne is going to progress as a respected championship manager he needs to address some of these issues. 

One thing we can sleep tight on though is that even in league 1 we’re a big club and if the time comes that Warne is a gonner I’m sure we’ll have a respectable list of replacements wanting the job. 

I don't think anyone should be calling for Warne's head in the current circumstance. My own opinion is that I have significantly misjudged him as a manager. I thought he was a pragmatist, game manager capable of getting the best out of limited players. 

He's quite the opposite: he almost shows a willful negligence to game management and encourages chaos - players out of position, overloads, a complete disregard to what the other team can offer. When you consider the first Peterborough goal yesterday, we got caught with them having men over - a couple of passes and they'd scored. It's happened quite a lot because of our style of football. 

I'd like to see a bit more coaching on situational football - you can't have your team camped on the edge of the opposition box, with 7 players stood in the opposition final third, yet fail to score or even create a decent opportunity. It comes down to the players not having a clear plan. We have a point head start, with 8 games remaining, anything other than the play-offs would be a huge disappointment - even though (really) it's a token invitation because our chances of being successful are slim to none. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We have a point head start, with 8 games remaining, anything other than the play-offs would be a huge disappointment - even though (really) it's a token invitation because our chances of being successful are slim to none

That's probabably the dumbest sentence you've ever written on the forum. Don't be caught up in the misery of the moment. It's a marathon not a sprint, and a huge amount can happen in the eight remaining games of the regular season. If we make it into the payoffs I think we'll have a decent chance of going up. With four teams, the average would be 25%, and it may be the best team has just over a 30% chance of promotion while the worst is a little under 20%. But even for the worst team, it really isnt "slim to none". And we likely won't be the worst.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

We didn't get promoted comfortably, we collapsed towards the end of that season and only got promoted because of a dodgy penalty in that famous game against Rotherham, which mean't we finished third, there were no play offs then.

I don't know where you get the idea that we collapsed towards the end of the season. From the 1st March until after we beat Rotherham on 9th May our record was P19 W 9 D7 L3 F28 A18 Pts 34. Where was the collapse?

We beat Rotherham with a late penalty. I do not recall the referee's decision as being dodgy and nor did Gerald Mortimer in his DET report (attached) the next day. Nowhere in the history books does it evaluate the validity of the refs decision to award the penalty - it just says we won 2-1 and that is an indisputable fact. We were promoted with a game still to play, just as we were in 1996 under Jim Smith when we beat Palace at the BBG. In my book, promotion with a game to spare is comfortable. If that's not comfortable enough for you, we'll just have to agree to differ.

DCFC2Rotherham11987.thumb.png.fe043acb3d93208a71ccd7b88f61f9f6.png

DCFCvRotherham1987(2).thumb.png.f9c70718164e8fdf886ff676c9a0a4e3.png

20 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I don't know where you get the idea that we collapsed towards the end of the season. From the 1st March until after we beat Rotherham on 9th May our record was P19 W 9 D7 L3 F28 A18 Pts 34. Where was the collapse?

We beat Rotherham with a late penalty. I do not recall the referee's decision as being dodgy and nor did Gerald Mortimer in his DET report (attached) the next day. Nowhere in the history books does it evaluate the validity of the refs decision to award the penalty - it just says we won 2-1 and that is an indisputable fact. We were promoted with a game still to play, just as we were in 1996 under Jim Smith when we beat Palace at the BBG. In my book, promotion with a game to spare is comfortable. If that's not comfortable enough for you, we'll just have to agree to differ.

I was at that game. The penalty was slightly contentious then as we had a freekick just outside of Rotherhams penalty area, the Rotherham defensive wall was therefore formed inside their penalty area.

There was a bit of argy bargy between Rotherham players in the wall and a Derby player standing adjacent to the end of the wall (can't recall who) and the ref gave a foul for the Rotherham players in the wall pushing the Derby player which was therefore a penalty.

Was contentious in my opinion as you back then you could kick lumps out of opposition players and not even get a yellow card never mind a foul given so the refs decision was probably in that context seems to be very generous.

Not that I was complaining mind. 

22 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

You can find the penalty incident on YouTube. It looks like one of most dodgy decisions I’ve seen. If given against us now it would certainly be greeted by the “duck the EFL”. If we’d only drawn that game then we wouldn’t have secured the last promotion place with a game to spare. But, it’s history now and nothing to do with our current plight or how quickly we may escape (upwards) from this league.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You can find the penalty incident on YouTube. It looks like one of most dodgy decisions I’ve seen. If given against us now it would certainly be greeted by the “duck the EFL”. If we’d only drawn that game then we wouldn’t have secured the last promotion place with a game to spare. But, it’s history now and nothing to do with our current plight or how quickly we may escape (upwards) from this league.

Almost as dodgy as the Fulham player getting kicked by one of the Derby fans whom had congregated right next to the touch line awaiting the refs final whistle. 

At that point the ref blew up for full time when my recollection was there were still about 5 minutes of the regulation 90 left to play. 

Derby won and we survived the drop for that season anyway. 

It bothers me to think we look good in recent games in the 1st half and should have scored maybe one or two goals. Then the opposing manager makes changes to his teams formation/tactics which improves their team. Yet our manager and his coaching staff must see the opposing teams improvement but don't have the answer by switching our formation, tactics, style to keep on top.

Warne is working with the muddle of players we had 

the choices include players like Stearman who clearly struggles and is effectively retired - Chester who has been injured for about 6 years - Davies who needs a long run of games to get going but hasn’t had them. We have a unbalanced midfield with Bird and Hourihane in the starting X1 when we need a couple of scrappers in there. Our forward choices are McGoldrick who is a great footballer but he is 35 and Collins who runs around and gestures a lot without being close to shooting at goal.

We have taken on other teams YTS youngsters in desperation and optimism 

Roberts - he’s done well - not the best defender not the best attacker but promising 

Osula - didn’t do much for such a physical presence - needed the football in front of him to run after and as soon as Sheffield United were going into a transfer Embargo he was going back there in January 

Dobbin - could turn into a good player but usually misses a golden chance in most games consistently- take them and a different player.

Spingett - he’s not shown anything other than being a body around place 

White - bits of promise but in league one from central midfield we need a hell of a lot more.

Full backs - well we haven’t had any playing at full back just some lads doing a job and covering what we are missing

Whos been unlucky not to have played a lot more - Rooney - ( he has pace and bite) Tompson - his lack of height must be the reason he has missed out so much or it’s a case of who can’t be dropped.

Anyway Warne or anybody else can only work with what we have 

we are still 6th which is pretty good considering 👍

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Whos been unlucky not to have played a lot more - Rooney - ( he has pace and bite) Tompson - his lack of height must be the reason he has missed out so much or it’s a case of who can’t be dropped.

Thinking about lack of goals, why did Barkhuizen disappear after going on a 'scoring run', Sibley too (although not a 'run' as such!). The 'strikers' need help from midfield and not many are showing, but when they do...?

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thinking about lack of goals, why did Barkhuizen disappear after going on a 'scoring run', Sibley too (although not a 'run' as such!). The 'strikers' need help from midfield and not many are showing, but when they do...?

Yep I have mentioned a few times - get your goal scorers on the pitch from as many positions as possible - for us that’s McGoldrick mendiz Lang Barkhauzen Sibley Hourihane - collins when no McGoldrick 

If Dobbin had put away half his chances we would be challenging top two 

12 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Oh come come now BR...a brutally harsh decision says the commentator...😁, We've been watching the game long enough to raise the Titanic, There's never a penalty there, Never never ever😁, Talk about awful decision, Bent ref, Blind ref, The referees a ba****d.

Proof if needed, And no there's no get out of jail free card when Chandler is moved out of the line...before the whistle is blown, But what a night on the lash that was 🍺🍺🍺🍺😁