Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Says he’s aware that the squad needs some surgery but didn’t have this view (in public) in January. 

Our poor performance in the transfer market really has bummed us. 

Yes I know we can’t pay fees but still our lack of movement was disappointing. Said it earlier in this thread, Warne doesn’t seem to have to a silver tongue regarding transfers. 

He needs us to win a few before now and the summer or his job will be close to untenable. Providing he does this then he’ll need to get us playing in 4th and 5th gear regularly next season when at the moment we can’t get out of 2nd.

January is always a difficult time and it was especially in our situation.

We were riding a long unbeaten run and the team were performing at a high level.

Would we have liked a striker? A centre back? Natural full backs? Almost certainly. In ordinary times, you can bet we’d have signed 5-6 players in January in an attempt to go from strength to strength. But times are different now and we have to be more selective.

Was there good value out there? Was there something workable within our restrictions? Was there a risk of upsetting the balance of a small, high achieving squad? These were all considerations we had to make.

This is a season of learning lessons in that respect.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

January is always a difficult time and it was especially in our situation.

We were riding a long unbeaten run and the team were performing at a high level.

Would we have liked a striker? A centre back? Natural full backs? Almost certainly. In ordinary times, you can bet we’d have signed 5-6 players in January in an attempt to go from strength to strength. But times are different now and we have to be more selective.

Was there good value out there? Was there something workable within our restrictions? Was there a risk of upsetting the balance of a small, high achieving squad? These were all considerations we had to make.

This is a season of learning lessons in that respect.

Think not bringing in a striker was unbelievably poor, I reckon there was someone out there to at least Osula’s quality. That said I’m not saying that would’ve saved the season.  

But massively frustrating having to watch us toddle around the pitch with no threat. I feel like if this season is going to be salvaged then we need a Mason Bennett freakesque goal to give us a kiss of life. Although we don’t have a mason mount to come back in to the team but instead a Tony Springett.

16 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think not bringing in a striker was unbelievably poor, I reckon there was someone out there to at least Osula’s quality. That said I’m not saying that would’ve saved the season.  

But massively frustrating having to watch us toddle around the pitch with no threat. I feel like if this season is going to be salvaged then we need a Mason Bennett freakesque goal to give us a kiss of life. Although we don’t have a mason mount to come back in to the team but instead a Tony Springett.

In the position we were in, we would have had to take a chance on a player and likely one with next to no experience of senior football.

Maybe Warne felt the risk wasn’t worth it in our position or perhaps he thought given McGoldrick’s form at the time, we would cope without one.

I think it’s hard to be too critical.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

In the position we were in, we would have had to take a chance on a player and likely one with next to no experience of senior football.

Maybe Warne felt the risk wasn’t worth it in our position or perhaps he thought given McGoldrick’s form at the time, we would cope without one.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Think we’ll have to agree to disagree, I wasn’t happy at the time re no striker and I’m not happy now. 

As long as we don’t free fall Warne has my backing. But maybe he’s not quite the white knight that I had him down to be.

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think we’ll have to agree to disagree, I wasn’t happy at the time re no striker and I’m not happy now. 

As long as we don’t free fall Warne has my backing. But maybe he’s not quite the white knight that I had him down to be.

Agreed. I wonder also how much of it was the 'not upsetting the current squad', he makes a thing about dealing with squad players who don't play potentially being disruptive. I didn't think we had enough strikers when we had Osula! 😄

Think we're gonna have one hell of a summer. If people thought it was bad before, get ready for "Derby bid? Double it" to come into full force.

Remember when we wanted Ollie Watkins from Exeter and they asked for stupid money because they assumed we had it, only to accept a lower bid from Brentford? This, but on steroids.

League 1 and 2 teams will see us as a cash cow to milk. Championship players will think we're a golden-coated paycheck. Agents will be swarming us with "the next X".

It's gonna hurt.

9 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

Think we're gonna have one hell of a summer. If people thought it was bad before, get ready for "Derby bid? Double it" to come into full force.

Remember when we wanted Ollie Watkins from Exeter and they asked for stupid money because they assumed we had it, only to accept a lower bid from Brentford? This, but on steroids.

League 1 and 2 teams will see us as a cash cow to milk. Championship players will think we're a golden-coated paycheck. Agents will be swarming us with "the next X".

It's gonna hurt.

We will still be under the business plan and so won’t be able to spend anything will we ?

10 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

It's gonna hurt.

How will this be the case when the current restrictions of the 2 year business plan are widely reported to include a “no transfer fee” stipulation? We’re going to be picking up out of contract players and maybe loans again unless the restrictions are amended. 

Anybody expecting radical changes to the overall makeup of our squad over the summer is in for a rude awakening IMO. We’re almost certainly going to stay blocked from spending transfer fees, and still capped on wages too.  So even if we have a major turnover of players, we’re probably still going to end up with a relatively small squad consisting mostly of over-30s free transfers and youngsters on loan.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We will still be under the business plan and so won’t be able to spend anything will we ?

there is no way the efl will let us spend a tonne of money just a year out of the verge of extinction

nor do i want us to spend loads regardless

Edited by alram

Any club that thinks we're suddenly going to be their cash-cow hasn't been paying attention. 

All I'm hoping for is that we're allowed to pay reasonable signing-on fees and agents fees for the level we're playing at (because without them, it's instantly a reduced field) and re-invest any fees received for outgoing players. That policy is far from reckless and, if we've stuck rigidly to the EFL business plan this season, they ought to allow us more flexibility than this season.

On 01/04/2023 at 18:40, TomTom92 said:

Ok, who was that striker that was on a free transfer, or loan, that was within our wage budget? Unless you have an answer your post is pretty much pointless. 

23 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

It's gonna hurt.

Are you actually paying any attention to what is happening?

I can't blame Warne for yesterday, Ipswich took advantage of their superiority with the first goal, we got done by the ref when we were on top and scored a perfectly good goal, and they hit us really well on the counter for their second. Ipswich are a good side who have won seven on the spin but we gave it a good go against a team who have spent big in the last year or so, esp in January. McGoldrick has dropped off massively from where he was and Collins isn't really a goal threat, so we are utterly toothless. You sense we need a fluke win from somewhere to get back on track or we'll just drift into eighth or ninth. 

I'm not totally sold on Warne, but he needs time to build a team. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok, who was that striker that was on a free transfer, or loan, that was within our wage budget? Unless you have an answer your post is pretty much pointless. 

There was a tweet about it last week, someone on RD (Dawes?) hinted about it. Villa U23 player?