Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

So you do agree that at the start of this season the outcome was seen as a free hit. Which was always my original point. 

Some of the "debate" on here recently has been centred still around the EFL doing us over, referees being wilfully biased against us, that's just pure paranoia not debate. 

As I said before in my original post am sure Warne isn't a perfect football manager, in fact I guarantee it. That's why he's managing a League 1 side. 

in regards to the free hit comments, goalposts can change with circumstances surely?

sitting with 5 players in pre season then the season is quite obviously a free hit. signing a lot of players on big money with short term deals (that most in this division would love to hav), and sacking of a manager that is long term and appointing one that is short term is changing of the goalposts?

expectations come with actions you view, i dont think DC has any intention of sticking around or wants a slow build in this league which makes short term results vital

17 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Agreed. But getting in them playoffs is the most important thing. Record goes out the window. We were diabolical against Leeds and Villa under Frank in the normal season yet could have and probably would have gone up had Roos not dropped the ball in his own net.

I'm not having that.....

...Roos dropped it on mcginns head....🤣

6 minutes ago, alram said:

in regards to the free hit comments, goalposts can change with circumstances surely?

sitting with 5 players in pre season then the season is quite obviously a free hit. signing a lot of players on big money with short term deals (that most in this division would love to hav), and sacking of a manager that is long term and appointing one that is short term is changing of the goalposts?

expectations come with actions you view, i dont think DC has any intention of sticking around or wants a slow build in this league which makes short term results vital

It's interesting when you say signing a lot of players that most in the division would love to have then you look across to another thread and see one of those being totally slagged to pieces. 

I generally don't know what DCs expectations are, I didn't listen to his interview this week (my bad) so not sure if anything in there was instructive?

My biggest disappointment with Warne is his apparent inability to recognise the importance of set pieces.

In my opinion we pose absolutely no threat from set pieces, the delivery is generally poor and there appears to be very little planning when it comes to what exactly we intend to do with them.

7 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Something needs to change now. Steve McClaren and Chris Martin are getting older every year, and the window is closing on fulfilling my ultimate derby county fantasy 

Console yourself with this delicious thought. 

Fozzy's testimonial!

Martin, Thorne, Bucko, Bryson et al, all together for one last time.

27 minutes ago, alram said:

In the recent interview in Marketing Derby, which many people will have read, David Clowes said that he hoped to see Derby established in the Championship sometime within the next 5 years.

I don't think therefore that he's basing his plans on instant promotion, and he'll definitely give Warne a full season, so all that fans agitating for change will do is stir up a load of negativity around the club which is entirely uncalled for.

18 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

My biggest disappointment with Warne is his apparent inability to recognise the importance of set pieces.

In my opinion we pose absolutely no threat from set pieces, the delivery is generally poor and there appears to be very little planning when it comes to what exactly we intend to do with them.

That mirrors my own thoughts exactly as I watched the game yesterday. But last season, Rotherham achieved promotion on their outstanding defensive record and their phenomenal ability to score from set pieces. Why are we so disorganised? Two seasons ago when we survived relegation with a very limited attack, Shay Given's work on set-piece drills was vital to our survival. I'd like to know how much work we do on this in training and why we are not more productive given Warne's previous track record.

On top of that our crossing from open play is mediocre with too many ending up wastefully beyond the far post or too close to the 'keeper. These are things that I expected Warne to improve in training ground drills. It was an aspect of Barker's organisational abilities that was highlighted when the coaching team arrived.

9 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

On top of that our crossing from open play is mediocre with too many ending up wastefully beyond the far post or too close to the 'keeper.

On the whole I am a PW fan and like what he and his team have brought to the club.

One thing that concerns me is the emphasis on getting crosses in as our main means of attack. Whenever I hear this I am reminded of various analyses that demonstrate that crossing on the whole isn't a particularly effective means of trying to score.

Of course there are different types of crosses and other tactics linked to them, but when another one leads to nothing I do wonder whether we need to try something different and mix it up a bit more in the game.

1 minute ago, WestKentRam said:

On the whole I am a PW fan and like what he and his team have brought to the club.

One thing that concerns me is the emphasis on getting crosses in as our main means of attack. Whenever I hear this I am reminded of various analyses that demonstrate that crossing on the whole isn't a particularly effective means of trying to score.

Of course there are different types of crosses and other tactics linked to them, but when another one leads to nothing I do wonder whether we need to try something different and mix it up a bit more in the game.

I think our crossing ability has been questionable for a number of years. But as regards the analysis of the efficacy of crossing, it was the bedrock of Clough and Taylor's golden era where Alan Hinton and John Robertson were wizards of the art and fundamental to the success achieved. It was a big aspect of what set their teams apart from others.

34 minutes ago, Crewton said:

In the recent interview in Marketing Derby, which many people will have read, David Clowes said that he hoped to see Derby established in the Championship sometime within the next 5 years.

I don't think therefore that he's basing his plans on instant promotion, and he'll definitely give Warne a full season, so all that fans agitating for change will do is stir up a load of negativity around the club which is entirely uncalled for.

he may of said that but his actions suggest otherwise. i think hes just playing down expectations

there is no chance DC would have brought the club with the eye of taking 5 years to become an established championship club. 

22 minutes ago, alram said:

he may of said that but his actions suggest otherwise. i think hes just playing down expectations

there is no chance DC would have brought the club with the eye of taking 5 years to become an established championship club. 

Wow you are very adamant with your statements. So you are saying he was lying in his interview? 

Key word is established, so in our 2nd or 3rd Championshp season by the time the 5 years is up, and not in danger of relegation back down to League One.

He wasn't saying he wants it to take 5 years to get promoted, or that he would be 'happy' still being in League One in 3-4 years time.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just my thoughts to go on record.

I like Warne.

He is a manager that has come into an incredibly difficult situation, that does not clear him from any criticism, I’m sure he will hold his hands up to many mistakes which are thrown his way.

Just feel given that incredibly difficult situation he’s going to need time, a lot of it, given what he can do in the transfer window with the restrictions.

This isn’t Frank Lampard walking into Chelsea under a transfer embargo surrounded by a quality squad, he’s walked into a League 1 club with a squad assembled by a Supermarket Sweep of grab what we can just to compete that have already started the season without having the summer to prepare the team.

And we have competed. Maybe not as well as we could have in every game, but we have competed.

We’re currently 6th in the table, top 6 being where 46.74% of you predicted us to finish in our pre season competition.

Will we finish there? I’m not sure, but even if offered top 10 in the summer, I’m sure many of you gladly took it and went down the pub.

Saying that, it is highly frustrating to go from being in touching distance of top 2, to scrapping for that final play off place, that is on Warne’s head and he has to own that. If we do finish outside the top 6, we’ll have to brush ourselves down and go again, not reach for the pitchforks.

9 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Do we really want promotion this season ? We already struggle the better teams in this division and we’ll still be under the same embargo next season. So if we did get promoted we will probably be relegated next season  and back to square one 

Never turn down the chance of promotion.  For a start, you don't know what you're being promoted into

There are other clubs struggling with finances, so if we went up this season we could be entering a league where 2-3 teams have points deductions, giving us a decent chance to stay up.

If not getting promotion this season guaranteed promotion next season, sure, but we could stay down this season and then finish 13th next year, entering season 3 as one of those clubs who look like they'll be stuck down here for years.

The longer we stay in League One the harder it gets, and the quality of players we can attract gets lower and lower.

Clowes is definitely thinking long term hence giving Warne a 4 year deal. I read the full article of his interview (well worth a read if you haven’t), really insightful on a number of things, in particular heaping praise on Stephen Pearce with a telling quote saying he’s been excellent “when he’s allowed to do his job”. 

Clowes ambitions as I read them were to have Derby established and competing at the sharp end of the championship within 5 years (ie. Back where we were for the majority of the past decade). This I think is perfectly reasonable, it’s also Warne’s  ambition with a view to hopefully getting Derby to the premier league. 

I think the majority of Warne dissenters are the ones who didn’t want him in the first place and our run of results has helped fuel the narrative they’ve been desperate to get out on his style of play and overlooking things that don’t support the narrative, such as the first half v Shrewsbury which is probably the best half of football we’ve put together all season. In this run, you can only really say Barnsley and Fleetwood have been terrible performances. There have been fine margins in the other games with Plymouth for example and even yesterday, on balance a 2-0 defeat wasn’t deserved we had moments at 1-0 and should’ve had a penalty (we’ve had several decisions go against us and very few for us during this run). If we can play like we did against Shrewsbury and Plymouth and first half yesterday we’ll get enough points, I don’t think it’s as gloomy as some are making out.

Let’s face facts this squad was cobbled together in a short pre-season which we started late due to the takeover. It’s an ageing squad in parts, we don’t have any natural players in some positions and it’s a small squad. This season was always a free hit. Most people thought it would take minimum 2 seasons to get back. Even Arthur needed 2 seasons. It feels worst because of the run we went on and how close we got to automatics but we just don’t have enough depth or enough different options to sustain an auto push this season.

I think Warne has done ok. I didn’t want Liam to go but I don’t think he would have done any better. I think Warne will be vulnerable if he doesn’t get us up next season as a minimum, even with our restrictions a full preseason to add to the squad we should be much stronger than we are currently. Once he gets us up and once our spending restrictions are lifted, he needs to keep us up comfortably and then get us competing for the top 6. I hope he does it, don’t think I’ve wanted a Derby manager to succeed as much, he’s a great personality and a genuine guy who cares and puts his heart and soul into it and who cares about the squad relationship with the club and the supporters, with this guy in charge these players will always be relatable and that’s important.

As for this season - IT IS NOT OVER. 
Think of this message board in March 2018 and March 2019, two occasions where we looked like we were going to drop out the top 6, in 2019 we did drop out of it with not many games left in the season. Both occasions we found something in the last 6 games and got over the line. We’re still in the box seat and once in the playoffs, anything can happen. Do not write us off yet!

12 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Key word is established, so in our 2nd or 3rd Championshp season by the time the 5 years is up, and not in danger of relegation back down to League One.

He wasn't saying he wants it to take 5 years to get promoted, or that he would be 'happy' still being in League One in 3-4 years time.

Nor did he say it’s time for full on meltdowns and rash decisions if we don’t get promoted this season. It seems to be a sensible and realistic approach to the rebuilding of the club. Appointed the manager he wanted, added staff back into key back room positions for analysis and recruitment, improve the club’s perception off the field and move forward is my observations.
I really don’t get what it is that’s driving the urgency of some fans. I’m aware the longer we are down here the more difficult it will be to get promoted, because it is a competitive league as evidenced by the time it’s taken for other “big clubs” to adapt and earn promotion. If it doesn’t happen this year it will be disappointing but not catastrophic, if it doesn’t happen next year then things become a bit more concerning, the season after that there’s a bigger problem still. 

Time isn’t the club’s enemy in this scenario any more than it is a friend. Clowes, his team and the playing side of the club have to use that time effectively to rebuild and get us promoted so that we don’t then drop back down, and can continue to build until ultimately we progress again, I guess ideally to the premier league…. So long as there’s no repeat of that particular season. 

31 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

That fits in exactly with what I said. He's not demanding promotion this season "or else". That doesn't make Warne unsackable, but it would be completely contrary to everything he's said about stability if he gave the manager and his coaching staff 4-year contracts but sacked them after less than a year in charge because they narrowly missed out on a play-off spot having only been able to sign 2 young players on loan.

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Wow you are very adamant with your statements. So you are saying he was lying in his interview? 

not about lying, it's about playing down expectations

do you honestly think his ambition is for 5 years for us to be a championship side?