Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

What’s Warne’s track record like for signing players when he was at Rotherham accepting we can’t pay transfer fees so the market will be smaller? 

This DET article from December mentions 4 of his Rotherham signings who at the time of that article were due to be free agents this summer, though Barlaser joined Middlesbrough in Jan I think.

I don’t know a great deal about Rotherham under Warne but the likes of Barlaser suggest he was able to spot a player and work within a budget. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This DET article from December mentions 4 of his Rotherham signings who at the time of that article were due to be free agents this summer, though Barlaser joined Middlesbrough in Jan I think.

I don’t know a great deal about Rotherham under Warne but the likes of Barlaser suggest he was able to spot a player and work within a budget. 

Seen Barlaser a few times and not convinced he’s actually good at football but takes a brilliant set piece so I think  that’s why Warne liked him 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Forget to post the link 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-warne-rotherham-7924256.amp

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok, who was that striker that was on a free transfer, or loan, that was within our wage budget? Unless you have an answer your post is pretty much pointless. 

I’m not a scout and not prepared to trawl through all prem and championship development squads to throw a few names out. But we managed to bring Osula, Dobbin and Roberts without paying a loan fee so there’s players out there.

On 01/04/2023 at 20:27, duncanjwitham said:

Anybody expecting radical changes to the overall makeup of our squad over the summer is in for a rude awakening IMO. We’re almost certainly going to stay blocked from spending transfer fees, and still capped on wages too.  So even if we have a major turnover of players, we’re probably still going to end up with a relatively small squad consisting mostly of over-30s free transfers and youngsters on loan.

Not necessarily, there will be players of the right age who are out of contract or maybe a year left, loan with view to a permanent. There will be a chunk of over 30s though but hopefully we can get more bodies in.

The key thing we will have this summer is time, we were 1 week into preseason before the takeover was even done. We did well with recruitment in timeframe we had. I expect a squad next season with more depth capable of promotion/survival in the championship. But we will have to nail it in the summer, our restrictions makes the January window impossible. Anyone criticising Warne or the club for our January business seriously needs to give their heads a wobble.

10 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

I’m not a scout and not prepared to trawl through all prem and championship development squads to throw a few names out. But we managed to bring Osula, Dobbin and Roberts without paying a loan fee so there’s players out there.

They all came with a view to a season long loan.

The January transfer window is a much different picture to the summer one and is notoriously a time when clubs get ripped off.

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They all came with a view to a season long loan.

The January transfer window is a much different picture to the summer one and is notoriously a time when clubs get ripped off.

What could they rip off us? 😄

15 hours ago, Premier ram said:

agreed with every word of Warnes after match interview, we are in good hands with him and Clowes , we will get it right

No problems with Warne . He said Ipswich are the “Model “we have to copy. Their players  are “Highly Motivated”. It must annoy him that our players on £10k-£12k a week can’t put the effort in.

38 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

No problems with Warne . He said Ipswich are the “Model “we have to copy. Their players  are “Highly Motivated”. It must annoy him that our players on £10k-£12k a week can’t put the effort in.

They were putting effort in - NML looks cream-crackered and has for weeks - it's not effective though is it.

I didn't see any lack of effort. I think the biggest problem is a lack of confidence in the opponents half to take a risk to create something and to put themselves in a position to be criticised for failing. They'd started to show more of that drive during our unbeaten run, but they lost it pretty quickly when the results started to go against them.

They've really got nothing to lose now, and that message needs to take root in them.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

If Ipswich are the model we have to copy, presumably it will mean he'll be given £10 million to spend in the summer.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

They were putting effort in - NML looks cream-crackered and has for weeks - it's not effective though is it.

Thought Radio Derby made a good point after the game that maybe our rushed pre season is starting to show. Yes age and squad size will also a factor in that, but it’s another factor that some teams are starting to find that extra 10-20% which we can’t.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I didn't see any lack of effort. I think the biggest problem is a lack of confidence in the opponents half to take a risk to create something and to put themselves in a position to be criticised for failing. They'd started to show more of that drive during our unbeaten run, but they lost it pretty quickly when the results started to go against them.

They've really got nothing to lose now, and that message needs to take root in them.

Confidence, at least in part, comes from knowing you can trust the guys behind you to cover for a mistake.  Almost every goal we concede at the moment seems to come from us giving the ball away high up the pitch and getting broken on, so you can see why players are loathe to try risky stuff in the final third. 

And to be clear, I think tiredness is a large part of why that's happening, we just don't have the legs to get up and down the pitch in the way Warne wants us to.

16 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thought Radio Derby made a good point after the game that maybe our rushed pre season is starting to show. Yes age and squad size will also a factor in that, but it’s another factor that some teams are starting to find that extra 10-20% which we can’t.

Maybe, so why not start someone else rather than NML who has looked well off his best for 4 or 5 games? 

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

...And to be clear, I think tiredness is a large part of why that's happening, we just don't have the legs to get up and down the pitch in the way Warne wants us to.

Not convinced by that, he's said he's happy for us to play that way. He could change things?

Edited by RoyMac5

Think it's fair to say that Warne's having a minor wobble. He switches stuff around that arguably doesn't need fixing and sometimes seems to have no plan when oppo managers switch it up against us. That said, we didn't fluke our earlier good form and anyone suggesting we did, clearly hasn't been watching the games. We were good, if not excellent value for most of our wins and could easily have converted a good few draws to three points too. He's earned a little breathing room, would be my view on it.

Equally, it's not unreasonable to question his performance and those of the players, coming off a really poor run, occurring at just the wrong time. Likewise, our performance against the top teams is a distinct concern. In the players' defence, a good few are quite clearly gassed and I don't really understand those dismissing that notion. That's the cost of a minimalist pre-season and older legs, I'm afraid. I think it's pretty clear that the physical demands of L1 football are even more prolonged and severe than the Championship and this too has exacerbated the issue of our lads not having got enough hard-conditioning work done before the campaign kicked off. We can't just pretend we didn't have a senior squad of 5 players at the start of the season, nor should we. It was inevitable that we'd see some players hitting the wall at some point. 

As for the gaffer, irrespective of what happens this season, let's see what kind of job he does with a few additions of his own. There remain some niggling concerns, but on balance, he's done ok and unless we completely implode, then any calls for his head seem a tad premature.

I totally agree that we do look tired, the result of having a very small squad. I think the other point is that teams have also “sussed” us out, being able to watch every match we play. They must know we are tired, have very little pace all over the pitch, and have a non-aggressive midfield they can run through with comparative ease. They also know that we do not react well to a team “getting in our faces”. 

I love watching the football we play when we are at our best - but to be successful over a long demanding season of 46 matches, you also need some steel. I don’t think we have that at our disposal at the moment, hence why we can’t react at times to other teams changing their tactics against us.

I also think that over time Paul Warne will acquire players with the aggression, pace and energy which are needed over a tough campaign.

43 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Think it's fair to say that Warne's having a minor wobble. He switches stuff around that arguably doesn't need fixing and sometimes seems to have no plan when oppo managers switch it up against us. That said, we didn't fluke our earlier good form and anyone suggesting we did, clearly hasn't been watching the games. We were good, if not excellent value for most of our wins and could easily have converted a good few draws to three points too. He's earned a little breathing room, would be my view on it.

Equally, it's not unreasonable to question his performance and those of the players, coming off a really poor run, occurring at just the wrong time. Likewise, our performance against the top teams is a distinct concern. In the players' defence, a good few are quite clearly gassed and I don't really understand those dismissing that notion. That's the cost of a minimalist pre-season and older legs, I'm afraid. I think it's pretty clear that the physical demands of L1 football are even more prolonged and severe than the Championship and this too has exacerbated the issue of our lads not having got enough hard-conditioning work done before the campaign kicked off. We can't just pretend we didn't have a senior squad of 5 players at the start of the season, nor should we. It was inevitable that we'd see some players hitting the wall at some point. 

As for the gaffer, irrespective of what happens this season, let's see what kind of job he does with a few additions of his own. There remain some niggling concerns, but on balance, he's done ok and unless we completely implode, then any calls for his head seem a tad premature.

Agree with all that, but in addition you also can't dismiss the notion that Warne's demands have had a 'not insignificant' impact on just how 'gassed out' we are (please let's not let that phrase unironically become common parlance ffs) or the notion that sometimes it's OK to play for a draw (which we have never and will never set out to do under Warne). The squad needed very careful handling, has it had it?

Our squad is performing at about the level I'd expect them to be performing at, but given Warne's credentials I'd hope that we were able to put in some performances where the team looked greater than the sum of its parts. As it is every time we play against a 'better' team and lose it's "oh well, look at our squad and look at their squad, there's not much else we could have done" - but taking that to its natural conclusion the only chance we'd have of going up would be to have the 1st/2nd/3rd best squad to begin with. The only unexpected result I can really think of was Bolton at home?

We've had a few examples this season where players have had a good mini-run of form and Warne has been given the plaudits (whether realistically his methods were the conduit for those performances or not is up for debate) but nothing really seems to have stuck. We need to, in the next year or so, start seeing a lot more examples of ways in which he can have a medium to long term positive effect on players not of his choosing / not specifically suited to his style or else the only option will be to replace every player in the squad with a 'Warne style' player, but that has the potential to harm our long term prospects.

Edited by Kokosnuss