Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

7 hours ago, Curtains said:

To be honest unless Warne is successful at Derby it will have been a mistake to sack Rosenior.

Why did David Clowes allow him to build a team which was a difficult task and then get rid .

Rosenior is doing well at Hull. 

Of course I hope Warne  will be successful at Derby .

Time will tell 

Your logic is totally flawed. 

Clowes could have made a professional judgement on Rosenoirs abilities to the conclusion that he couldn't see him successfully managing Derby to higher levels.

So the only solution was to remove him given that this wasn't what Clowes aspired to as an owner.

So whether Warne is successful or not has no bearing on the original action of removing Rosenoir from his role. The judgement about Rosenoirs abilities had already been made. 

8 hours ago, Curtains said:

To be honest unless Warne is successful at Derby it will have been a mistake to sack Rosenior.

Why did David Clowes allow him to build a team which was a difficult task and then get rid .

Rosenior is doing well at Hull. 

Of course I hope Warne  will be successful at Derby .

Time will tell 

We're a million miles away from these decisions in reality. Rosenior, to me, seemed very serious, very tactical, very logical. Not very warm. But a decent man. PW comes across as very honest, aware of his limitations and if I was DC, I'd warm to him. And that's prob what happened. When you're the man putting your money in, you go with your gut and from the limited bit I see of PW, I get it. PW is more proven, more established as a manager and I totally understand why DC went with him.

Let's be honest, with PW, you get what you see. The daft hat, the honest silliness - he's a properly decent bloke. I'd hire him, as a football manager, in a heart beat. I wouldn't hire him as a tactical genius, a glory signing nor a fan appeaser but as a manager for a club like ours, in the sh*t like us, he'd be my choice. If it doesn't work, it's only bad luck and time that worked against him. I think DC will give him years. And rightly so.

Our Nigel was 100% Derby. And I love that. Call him all ya want but that man wanted nothing but the best for us. I hope PW gets the chance to become that. He wants that - you can see it in every interview - he knows he could become a hero for us. He wants to create a legacy. For me, that counts. 

48 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

We're a million miles away from these decisions in reality. Rosenior, to me, seemed very serious, very tactical, very logical. Not very warm. But a decent man. PW comes across as very honest, aware of his limitations and if I was DC, I'd warm to him. And that's prob what happened. When you're the man putting your money in, you go with your gut and from the limited bit I see of PW, I get it. PW is more proven, more established as a manager and I totally understand why DC went with him.

Let's be honest, with PW, you get what you see. The daft hat, the honest silliness - he's a properly decent bloke. I'd hire him, as a football manager, in a heart beat. I wouldn't hire him as a tactical genius, a glory signing nor a fan appeaser but as a manager for a club like ours, in the sh*t like us, he'd be my choice. If it doesn't work, it's only bad luck and time that worked against him. I think DC will give him years. And rightly so.

Our Nigel was 100% Derby. And I love that. Call him all ya want but that man wanted nothing but the best for us. I hope PW gets the chance to become that. He wants that - you can see it in every interview - he knows he could become a hero for us. He wants to create a legacy. For me, that counts. 

As you say, not a tactical genius. That could could be a key factor in limiting the clubs potential to achieve promotion. Time will tell....

I agree with the latter posts on this.

My observations so far are that PW is limited tactically. I've not seen him read the games and opposition tactics all that well to counter their threats or exploit their weaknesses, especially when they change up. I personally feel that we have the players to 'manage' games better but I don't think the tactics get the most out of their skillet.

At League 1 level I think this is less important generally speaking but this year there are some strong teams with very different tactical approaches to what you might expect in any other season. 

What PW is clearly very good at instilling the work ethic, fitness, building relationships, motivating people, knowing when to kick up the arse and when to give a cuddle etc.

Under normal circumstances the latter set of traits will make you an excellent manager at this level. This season and with the squad we have, it might not be enough.

I think he needs to work on the first element or make sure his team has an astute tactician who can lead on this. I'm not sure he has that in his team and not sure if he recognises the need for it. 

Nigel had similar flaws and a loyalty to his team that was admirable but ultimately limited him. I don't tend to think managers who take their entire backroom team wherever they go is always that healthy.

In saying that, he has a great track record and I liked him. I'm still optimistic and hope he can at least get us promotion at which point we should take stock and evaluate what we then need to kick on again. I'm not impatient about when that happens either, if it takes until the end of mbargo and the club is ultimately stronger and more sustainable for it, then so be it.

Impatient people have short memories, twas ever thus.

On 27/03/2023 at 18:54, CBRammette said:

I dont need to define lying as its everyday meaning is well understood.

Your extremely strong statement that "there is no chance DC would have brought the club with the eye of taking 5 years to become an established championship club" ignores what DC said himself in the interview which is all we have in the public domain.  My reading of this is the word "established" is key. You were strongly disagreeing with what DC is on record as saying hence my query as to whether you thought he was lying in the interview as your opinion was so certain. If in fact you are one of his inner circle then I apologise. 

Please dont refer to me as "fans like you". You know nothing about me whatsoever as shown by your comment.  I have never stoked division and never will especially as I have no illusions about anyone taking notice of anything I say.  I adore DC and am one of the happy we have a club gang. I never said you wanted his head on a stick. I am not petty or pathetic and never have been but do not like people wildly throwing in statements as fact as part of their letting off steam. Again if you are in DC's close circle I apologise. 

who said its anything to do with DC that you are stoking division? that post prooves that. i am in exactly the same boat as you when it comes to DC, the man saved the club FFS .

you are overly sensitive about my comment saying he is not telling the truth, which i dont think he is. if you GENUINELY believe that his ambition is to have us in the championship in 5 years then you really are niave, to suggest otherwise is delusion

its not a critique of clowes at all, just how i see it. AND HOW IT IS.

Edited by alram

14 minutes ago, alram said:

who said its anything to do with DC that you are stoking division? that post prooves that. i am in exactly the same boat as you when it comes to DC, the man saved the club FFS .

you are overly sensitive about my comment saying he is not telling the truth, which i dont think he is. if you GENUINELY believe that his ambition is to have us in the championship in 5 years then you really are niave, to suggest otherwise is delusion

I think how you see it is'nt how it is. You are actually calling him a liar and what i have seen of and read of DC i dont think he is.

51 minutes ago, alram said:

The direct quote from DC is “within 5 years we want to be established in the championship and then perhaps thinking of the next step. But the important thing, above everything else, is just to have a stable and healthy football club”

How can you question what his ambition is when he’s stated it in print? I take from that he wants us to be promoted and stable in the league above within 5 years. That might mean promotion this year, or next, or even after that, so long as the club is healthy and thriving. 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Got to get the tactics right today Paul. You must have had them watched . Going to be a “Battle”. Good luck.

Sadly though, I suspect they've had us watched as well and know what sort of tactics we're likely to adopt. 

Says he’s aware that the squad needs some surgery but didn’t have this view (in public) in January. 

Our poor performance in the transfer market really has bummed us. 

Yes I know we can’t pay fees but still our lack of movement was disappointing. Said it earlier in this thread, Warne doesn’t seem to have to a silver tongue regarding transfers. 

He needs us to win a few before now and the summer or his job will be close to untenable. Providing he does this then he’ll need to get us playing in 4th and 5th gear regularly next season when at the moment we can’t get out of 2nd.

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Says he’s aware that the squad needs some surgery but didn’t have this view (in public) in January. 

Our poor performance in the transfer market really has bummed us. 

Yes I know we can’t pay fees but still our lack of movement was disappointing. Said it earlier in this thread, Warne doesn’t seem to have to a silver tongue regarding transfers. 

He needs us to win a few before now and the summer or his job will be close to untenable. Providing he does this then he’ll need to get us playing in 4th and 5th gear regularly next season when at the moment we can’t get out of 2nd.

There’s not a lot of option in January at the best of times, let alone when you’re being restricted to notransfer fees,  loan fees, agent fees and a strict wage budget.

I didn’t expect much to happen in January, but we were led to believe a couple of times that some signings were imminent and didn’t happen.

The squad is now showing the signs of the strain of PW’s style. However, with a larger pool of players as options in the summer and the new recruitment guy from Oxford on board, I am hopeful we can put together a squad that can meet the tough physical demands of the style of football we were witnessing up to January.

1 minute ago, roboto said:

There’s not a lot of option in January at the best of times, let alone when you’re being restricted to notransfer fees,  loan fees, agent fees and a strict wage budget.

I didn’t expect much to happen in January, but we were led to believe a couple of times that some signings were imminent and didn’t happen.

The squad is now showing the signs of the strain of PW’s style. However, with a larger pool of players as options in the summer and the new recruitment guy from Oxford on board, I am hopeful we can put together a squad that can meet the tough physical demands of the style of football we were witnessing up to January.

Agreed all eyes on the summer but if he starts poor I can’t see him getting much sympathy.