Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

We didn't get promoted comfortably, we collapsed towards the end of that season and only got promoted because of a dodgy penalty in that famous game against Rotherham, which mean't we finished third, there were no play offs then.

We still had one game to play at Darlington, so that Rotherham result wasn't sh*t or bust.

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Almost as dodgy as the Fulham player getting kicked by one of the Derby fans whom had congregated right next to the touch line awaiting the refs final whistle. 

At that point the ref blew up for full time when my recollection was there were still about 5 minutes of the regulation 90 left to play. 

It was officially 78 seconds, though you could argue that the game should have been stopped after about 78 minutes and the touchline cleared. Fulham needed to win and it's questionable whether  or not they'd have got two goals back at that stage anyway, though they'll harp on about it for evermore (see - it's not just us! 😁).

As it happened, we could have lost that day and still survived due to other results. Only Fulham complained about the result standing - Leicester were dead happy IIRC

15 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

I’m a fair man though and I’m happy to share some of my concerns; He seems very tactically limited, has no pull in the transfer market and his teams have a pattern of running out of steam 2/3 in to a season. If Warne is going to progress as a respected championship manager he needs to address some of these issues. 

I don't think 'pull' exists other than $$$$. History shows us that Tomori, Mount, etc cost absolute fortunes to get in so I really don't think there is such a thing as 'pull' per se. I think that in a scenario where a player choses club X or club Y the style of play, manager personality, club size, etc all comes into play so when we hear Mount saying that Frank was the reason, etc then yeah - that reason + £2m loan fee or whatever it was!

PW is clearly a players-manager whereas some managers (E.G. Rafa) are very much about systems, etc so will clearly attract certain types of players. I'd argue the types (honest, hard working) of players that PW would attract are the types that we need for the next few seasons - i.e. I'd rather we didn't sign trouble-makers/those that only sign for the money, etc for the long term benefit of the club.

Personally I think we're in good hands and what we're seeing now is the financial restrictions really biting. However, I will caveat that with the fact that there are players in the squad with some pedigree who don't appear to be playing to their previous levels (Collins, Hourihane, etc) but again, perhaps there's a reason why they're here in L1 on relatively low wages...

16 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Thats not what was said

its not what i said either.

define "lying", because if you class playing down expectations as lying then yes hes lying.

but i dont want to call the guy a liar because i respect him and what he has done for this club. i am hugely on DC side, fans like you are keen on stoking division which is not what i am looking for. I am behind everyone at the club, trying to suggest that i am calling david clowes a liar and want his head on a stick is petty and pathetic. you and everybody else know what i am trying to say

6 hours ago, alram said:

its not what i said either.

define "lying", because if you class playing down expectations as lying then yes hes lying.

but i dont want to call the guy a liar because i respect him and what he has done for this club. i am hugely on DC side, fans like you are keen on stoking division which is not what i am looking for. I am behind everyone at the club, trying to suggest that i am calling david clowes a liar and want his head on a stick is petty and pathetic. you and everybody else know what i am trying to say

I dont need to define lying as its everyday meaning is well understood.

Your extremely strong statement that "there is no chance DC would have brought the club with the eye of taking 5 years to become an established championship club" ignores what DC said himself in the interview which is all we have in the public domain.  My reading of this is the word "established" is key. You were strongly disagreeing with what DC is on record as saying hence my query as to whether you thought he was lying in the interview as your opinion was so certain. If in fact you are one of his inner circle then I apologise. 

Please dont refer to me as "fans like you". You know nothing about me whatsoever as shown by your comment.  I have never stoked division and never will especially as I have no illusions about anyone taking notice of anything I say.  I adore DC and am one of the happy we have a club gang. I never said you wanted his head on a stick. I am not petty or pathetic and never have been but do not like people wildly throwing in statements as fact as part of their letting off steam. Again if you are in DC's close circle I apologise. 

To be honest unless Warne is successful at Derby it will have been a mistake to sack Rosenior.

Why did David Clowes allow him to build a team which was a difficult task and then get rid .

Rosenior is doing well at Hull. 

Of course I hope Warne  will be successful at Derby .

Time will tell 

25 minutes ago, Curtains said:

To be honest unless Warne is successful at Derby it will have been a mistake to sack Rosenior.

Why did David Clowes allow him to build a team which was a difficult task and then get rid .

Time will tell 

Hull are 15th, one win in eight games.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Time will tell 

Not necessarily.

We have no idea where Rosenior would have taken this team. He might have kept us in the play off positions (or better) or he may have struggled and we'd be much nearer the wrong end of the table (I doubt it but we'll never know). We may have beaten Barnsley, Wycombe and Peterborough but on the other hand we failed to even score a goal in any of our four away games.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not necessarily.

We have no idea where Rosenior would have taken this team. He might have kept us in the play off positions (or better) or he may have struggled and we'd be much nearer the wrong end of the table (I doubt it but we'll never know). We may have beaten Barnsley, Wycombe and Peterborough but on the other hand we failed to even score a goal in any of our four away games.

Of course and that’s the dilemma.

I fail to see a set pattern of play with Warne other than get the ball forward as fast as possible and all pile forward and get crosses in whereas Rosenior was build from the back and is a tactician.   
Now Rosenior also could have failed at Derby but he also had limited resources to get players in as does Warne. 
After administration and a business plan it was always going to be difficult and we are where we are.  
It might be Warne has other styles of play for higher divisions for sure and that would be great.  
Has David Clowes gone for a short term policy to get us out this division or is Warne for the long haul.

I hope Warne does well .

On 26/03/2023 at 22:20, Tyler Durden said:

Almost as dodgy as the Fulham player getting kicked by one of the Derby fans whom had congregated right next to the touch line awaiting the refs final whistle. 

At that point the ref blew up for full time when my recollection was there were still about 5 minutes of the regulation 90 left to play. 

Derby won and we survived the drop for that season anyway. 

It was 78 seconds. If it was 5 mins we may have had to play a repay

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

we failed to even score a goal in any of our four away games.

A lot was made of that, but when you consider, in hindsight....

Fleetwood, Lincoln & Shrewsbury have the 7th, 8th & 10th best defensive records in the league this season (5th, 9th & 14th best home defences)

We were playing those opposition with a not-yet fit enough to play 45 minutes McGoldrick (who didn't feature at all vs Charlton where we created plenty of chances)

We could only draw with 10 man Lincoln at home, Shrewsbury at home and lost without scoring at home to Fleetwood

...the results and the lack of goals in those games perhaps weren't in reality as bad as they seemed at the time.

PS that isn't me saying that I was happy with the lack of goals, and I did indeed say that Rosenior needed to do something different in his approach in order to stop repeating the same pattern on the previous season of playing well, not scoring and losing to a silly goal.

Edited by Kokosnuss

21 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

A lot was made of that, but when you consider, in hindsight....

Fleetwood, Lincoln & Shrewsbury have the 7th, 8th & 10th best defensive records in the league this season (5th, 9th & 14th best home defences)

We were playing those opposition with a not-yet fit enough to play 45 minutes McGoldrick (who didn't feature at all vs Charlton where we created plenty of chances)

We could only draw with 10 man Lincoln at home, Shrewsbury at home and lost without scoring at home to Fleetwood

...the results and the lack of goals in those games perhaps weren't in reality as bad as they seemed at the time.

PS that isn't me saying that I was happy with the lack of goals, and I did indeed say that Rosenior needed to do something different in his approach in order to stop repeating the same pattern on the previous season of playing well, not scoring and losing to a silly goal.

All valid points but so are the points that 1) we don’t know how a PW team would have faired at the start of the season or 2) how a LR team would fair now.

I’m not suggesting PW is better than LR or vice verse. I was just responding to the comment “unless Warne is successful at Derby it would have been a mistake to sack Rosenior” which kind of implies (to me anyway) that LR would have been a better bet than PW which we simply don’t know.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

All valid points but so are the points that 1) we don’t know how a PW team would have faired at the start of the season or 2) how a LR team would fair now.

I’m not suggesting PW is better than LR or vice verse. I was just responding to the comment “unless Warne is successful at Derby it would have been a mistake to sack Rosenior” which kind of implies (to me anyway) that LR would have been a better bet than PW which we simply don’t know.

Oh I know.I've said similar myself when I did a direct results comparison a few weeks back.

It feels that we've struggled against the exact same style of teams we struggled with at the start of the season, and largely for the same reasons irrespective of manager.

It's just that those earlier away games were given as the ultimate justification for the change many times over in the first few months of PW,  especially given perceived stature of Lincoln/Shrews/Fleetwood, but it now looks like they were actually pretty darned tricky opponent to beat!

Edited by Kokosnuss

16 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Surely, if he's gone for a short term policy, he wouldn't have given Warne such a 

Warne would have stipulated a long contract if he had any sense.  

This is all old ground and maybe not worth discussing anymore .

Lots of Derby fans love Paul Warne and he can do no wrong .

He maybe will get us back in Championship at his first attempt as this season is still very much alive. 

On 27/03/2023 at 10:14, The Last Post said:

Oh come come now BR...a brutally harsh decision says the commentator...😁, We've been watching the game long enough to raise the Titanic, There's never a penalty there, Never never ever😁, Talk about awful decision, Bent ref, Blind ref, The referees a ba****d.

Proof if needed, And no there's no get out of jail free card when Chandler is moved out of the line...before the whistle is blown, But what a night on the lash that was 🍺🍺🍺🍺😁

It was a great day for the blue and whites 😁. Puts claims of referee bias against us into some sort of perspective!

13 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

It was a great day for the blue and whites 😁. Puts claims of referee bias against us into some sort of perspective!

With BD clear on goal and being brought down just outside the box...I'd like to think the Ref decided to give us a helping hand, I've seen some shocking decisions over my time...not saying this was shocking mind 😁But tenor.gif?itemid=13901825

7 hours ago, Curtains said:

What a bizarre comment. There wasn't long until the start of the season with 5 players under contract, but a temporary coach in position who could make instant decisions about which of the out-of-contract players it would be right to offer new ones too, and where the vital gaps were that needed to be filled. It was about having a team to begin the season, despite the draconian restrictions on us. Rosenior wasn't given the manager's job so was never under any illusions. He was put in temporary charge. I find it hard to see how Clowes could have handled it better at the time.