Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe, so why not start someone else rather than NML who has looked well off his best for 4 or 5 games? 

I’d fully agree with you on that tbh, my one big criticism with Warne would be that I don’t think his player management since Jan 31st has been overly good. BUT I’d counter that by saying I was sat in the stand on Saturday saying ‘well I’d bring Barkhuizen on, let him have a run out’, then when he comes on he does a shocking header and Ipswich run up the other end and it’s 2-0. My point on that is that we could all set up the team differently or think a player might make a difference, when it’s still quite likely we’d still be in the same position no matter whI was playing at the minute. 

It’s noticeable that some are saying that our dip in form and dropping out of the top is the fault of warne having a style of play that is built on high tempo and work rate , perhaps we may not have had the unbeaten run and ever got into the top 6 and stayed there so long without forcing that tempo and work rate 🤷‍♂️, short time I know but we were never in the top 6 with roseniors style , didn’t in my view look like getting in there and many stated that teams sussed us and raised they’re tempo while getting right in our faces  , we had a fair few really weak poor performances under Liam which in my view were worse than under warne and we still had the look of an old team with not more than 45 minutes in us 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

It’s noticeable that some are saying that our dip in form and dropping out of the top is the fault of warne having a style of play that is built on high tempo and work rate , perhaps we may not have had the unbeaten run and ever got into the top 6 and stayed there so long without forcing that tempo and work rate 🤷‍♂️, short time I know but we were never in the top 6 with roseniors style , didn’t in my view look like getting in there and many stated that teams sussed us and raised they’re tempo while getting right in our faces  , we had a fair few really weak poor performances under Liam which in my view were worse than under warne and we still had the look of an old team with not more than 45 minutes in us 

I think PW took over in 7th and we are now 7th again. I would argue that LR had a disproportionately tough start. 

I'm not a LR cultist but the gas out style with this squad could only really end this way. We'll never know where we would be if we had stuck with LR and I feel people (not you personally) are making those judgements based on their opinion of PW. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

I think PW took over in 7th and we are now 7th again. I would argue that LR had a disproportionately tough start. 

I'm not a LR cultist but the gas out style with this squad could only really end this way. We'll never know where we would be if we had stuck with LR and I feel people (not you personally) are making those judgements based on their opinion of PW. 

I agree we will never know and I’m not dissing rosenior though his style never did it for me but it’s got to be considered that without the gas out style we may have stayed around 7 th and never got into the top 6 too , when we looked really at it all over the park we had a very good run , so much so I felt we were the match for any side in the division and catching the top 2 was possible so it’s all ifs and buts really 🤷🏻‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Archied said:

I agree we will never know and I’m not dissing rosenior though his style never did it for me but it’s got to be considered that without the gas out style we may have stayed around 7 th and never got into the top 6 too , when we looked really at it all over the park we had a very good run , so much so I felt we were the match for any side in the division and catching the top 2 was possible so it’s all ifs and buts really 🤷🏻‍♂️

Whilst we can't guess at what LR would have achieved this season, I think if we were sat 7th now under his style of play we would have mote chance of reaching the play offs 

Would love to be proved wrong though.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Perhaps Barks is knackered rather than tired 😁

Reckon he will be one of the first the be shown the door.  Don't think Warne is convinced by him either hence his lack of starts.

He's had a couple of nice finishes for us but tires quickly, loses almost all his 50 50s, never wins a header and has missed a few good chances.  Just doesn't appear to enjoy football in league one.

Tiredness is mental as well as physical.  They’re struggling physically but I think that would happen in the latter third of season given that the squad was put together with 3 weeks of pre-season left.  They’re also struggling mentally.  It’s clear they struggle for confidence when we go behind at the moment and that’s a mental battle they need to overcome.  When your mentally tired, it seems to drain you more physically too.

Warne will definitely benefit from a full pre-season and a summer transfer window.  When we’re looking at freebies January was always going to a struggle as they’re just not available.  And if a free transfer is available in January, there’s generally a reason why they haven’t been snapped up already.  Last summer the window had been open 5 - 6 weeks before the takeover was completed.  We couldn’t really make any promises or come to agreements in May due to the uncertainty.  This summer we’ll be picking from a much larger pool due to being able to do deals earlier.  And we’ll be a big draw no matter what division we’re in.  In some ways it’s good that quite a few players are out of contract this year as it means Warne has more scope to bring in players to suit his system and style.

I still think we play some good football at times and the first half at peterborough was a good example, it was so one sided but in those periods we need to score and we are'nt and this is the problem.

We are toothless, once Didzy's form dropped off, and it was always going to where are the goals coming from ?

If you put two mobile pacey strong forwards in our side who can score the whole picture changes for me

We should've been at least 2-0 up in first half against Peterborough and then I believe the second half would've looked a lot different

Didzy had to score that easy header from NML cross in first half against Ipswich and Cashin's header should've stood and would've put us 2-1 up ..the differences are marginal not massive and 2 Centre Forwards would change a lot as I still don't see Didzy as a CF and Collins is very short on confidence

I'd be very tempted to play NML or Barks up front with what we have at the moment to give us something different.....pace !

59 minutes ago, sage said:

Whilst we can't guess at what LR would have achieved this season, I think if we were sat 7th now under his style of play we would have mote chance of reaching the play offs 

Would love to be proved wrong though.

But would we be sitting 7th under his style or would we be mid table in need of the kind of run we had under warne ? As we both agree it’s ifs and buts , the sad bit is we didn’t and won’t have even in the summer the freedom to allow a manager whether rosenior or warne the scope to bring in the players they need to build they’re team properly, personally I’m hoping rosenior does well at hull and warne does well at derby as I like both blokes , I kind of prefer watching us under warne , that said I enjoyed Charlton away under rosenior but felt we went backwards ,,, who knows with this manager lark , it’s a bit pot luck with right man right time ,look at Jim smith with us 🤷🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I still think we play some good football at times and the first half at peterborough was a good example, it was so one sided but in those periods we need to score and we are'nt and this is the problem.

We are toothless, once Didzy's form dropped off, and it was always going to where are the goals coming from ?

If you put two mobile pacey strong forwards in our side who can score the whole picture changes for me

We should've been at least 2-0 up in first half against Peterborough and then I believe the second half would've looked a lot different

Didzy had to score that easy header from NML cross in first half against Ipswich and Cashin's header should've stood and would've put us 2-1 up ..the differences are marginal not massive and 2 Centre Forwards would change a lot as I still don't see Didzy as a CF and Collins is very short on confidence

I'd be very tempted to play NML or Barks up front with what we have at the moment to give us something different.....pace !

Yes we are crying out for more pace in the team up top and in the centre of defence and hope Warne makes this a priority in the summer.

58 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Tiredness is mental as well as physical.  They’re struggling physically but I think that would happen in the latter third of season given that the squad was put together with 3 weeks of pre-season left...Warne will definitely benefit from a full pre-season and a summer transfer window.  When we’re looking at freebies January was always going to a struggle as they’re just not available.  And if a free transfer is available in January, there’s generally a reason why they haven’t been snapped up already.  Last summer the window had been open 5 - 6 weeks before the takeover was completed.  We couldn’t really make any promises or come to agreements in May due to the uncertainty.  This summer we’ll be picking from a much larger pool due to being able to do deals earlier.  And we’ll be a big draw no matter what division we’re in.  In some ways it’s good that quite a few players are out of contract this year as it means Warne has more scope to bring in players to suit his system and style.

That's what we'd hope, but didn't a Rotherham fan post the stats for his latest League 1 escape? They basically fell apart in the 2nd half of the season but got in because they'd established a large lead - at least that's what I think they said?

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's what we'd hope, but didn't a Rotherham fan post the stats for his latest League 1 escape? They basically fell apart in the 2nd half of the season but got in because they'd established a large lead - at least that's what I think they said?

I think there’s a very real element of that being Warne’s approach, like Bristol Rovers at Pride Park. Blow them away early and hope they can’t get back into it. Very interesting if that was the approach to Rotherham’s promotion(s), it essentially worked but probably led to a bit of squeaky bum time for the fans!

2 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Reckon he will be one of the first the be shown the door.  Don't think Warne is convinced by him either hence his lack of starts.

He's had a couple of nice finishes for us but tires quickly, loses almost all his 50 50s, never wins a header and has missed a few good chances.  Just doesn't appear to enjoy football in league one.

He did really well after Christmas, then got binned off.  Sibley also did well and got binned off. Warne has his favourite and it was clear with those choices .  He'll be back in Evertons reserves in 6 weeks.