Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

First half we played well but didn’t create enough clear cut chances.

Second half they changed their shape and made a couple of substitutions and we didn’t adapt to it.

I couldn’t really see their goals properly as the sun was at an annoying angle but I thought we did ok and Peterborough are smash and grab merchants.

Our squad is threadbare and it’s  really starting to show.

But it ain’t over yet . 
COYR🐏

Warne has been operating under very different and difficult circumstances to the top six teams we are competing with. The players look tired and some who were so reliable earlier on are out of form. We have a tiny squad so very little room for change game by game except shuffling around the deckchairs. He has inherited a squad that's not his and in the large doesn't suit what he wants to do (3 at the back, high intensity etc).

BUT! His in-game management seems poor, he appears slow to react to situations and change things up (formation, style of play, attitude) when other teams step it up or make changes.

Time to judge him is at the end of next season, when he's had a pre-season, more of his own team regards players he wants and more time to put a footprint on it.

We might still go up this season by the way, just in case anyone has forgotten we are still in the play off positions. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The good thing when Warne came in, is that he didn't buy into the hype in which we think (and our players probably think) they're better than they really are. He introduced chaos into the games. The games became more open than under Rosenior. But because our players are good players for League One, we won a lot more than we lost and so we did well.

I feel he's in danger falling into the Rosenior fallacy that we can completely control and dominate a game. We simply are not good enough for that. And because of that we need to give ourselves more chance of scoring, because then we have a very good chance of scoring more goals than the opposition, and that's what matters. Today (away at Peterborough) was a "must not lose" game but Warne made the mistake of setting up to control the midfield, not concede a goal and hope we might possibly nick one.

The reality is we all know Dobbin can't hit a barn door, Mendez-Laing has looked shattered for weeks and McGoldrick rarely scores away. Sometimes Hourihane chips in. Four possible but not very likely scorers picked, means you're likely to lose the game. He needs to be prepared to lose some control, but give us more chance of scoring.

He doesn't try to control games at all in my opinion.  And that's the problem. 

Not similar to Rosenior in any way.  

Feels we have one way of playing (high intensity). When we fail to do that, we look average at best. Struggling to get crosses in quickly, reverting to long ball. 

I did enjoy watching us first half (without end product unfortunately) but as soon as the matched our midfield, we were dead. Could have been beaten by more 

I feel very conflicted about the current situation at the Club. 

Part of me is just grateful that we have a Club. That part believes we shouldn't really be judging Warne until we have a squad he has assembled on a level playing field with other clubs in the division ie by spending money that we can afford.

But, we knew when we signed Warne that we couldn't do this for at least this season and probably next. We also knew that the squad we had was put together, albeit hastily, by a different manager with a very different style of play in mind. 

Warne has worked this squad very hard to get them somewhere near the fitness levels he demands, but he isn't able to magic up physicality, or do anything about the age profile of the squad. He has inspired them personally, you can see the effort is there, but some players look to be treading treacle at this stage and in dire need of a rest, yet we've still 8-10 games to go. 

So something has to give somewhere. Could we have managed the squad's fitness better by not demanding up-tempo direct football that drains their energy levels in every game? Could we have used the players' undoubted football skills to make the ball do some of the work for them? Could we have rotated the squad better? Could we even (heaven forbid!) have set up not to lose some of these away matches, rather than go all out to win them? An extra 4 or 5 away points from grinding out defensive draws would be very welcome right now, imo.

Or should we look at this season as a free hit? See it as a learning opportunity for Warne to ascertain who he might want to keep in a much-changed squad for next season to play the way he wants and thinks will eventually succeed in getting us out of this division? Should we steel ourselves to waving goodbye to the type of pretty football that has been Derby's trademark for some years now, but has ultimately brought us little success?

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. 

And let's not forget this season isn't over yet.

Warne's high-risk, high-reward style of play may yet reap those rewards this season and we might all feel very differently if we gain promotion in a glorious win at Wembley in May. The struggle of how we got there will then be temporarily forgotten. 

Until it starts again next season and all the worries will surface again.

I don't think it's an easy time to be a fan at Derby County. 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Part of me is just grateful that we have a Club. That part believes we shouldn't really be judging Warne until we have a squad he has assembled on a level playing field with other clubs in the division ie by spending money that we can afford.

But, we knew when we signed Warne that we couldn't do this for at least this season and probably next. We also knew that the squad we had was put together, albeit hastily, by a different manager with a very different style of play in mind. 

Warne has worked this squad very hard to get them somewhere near the fitness levels he demands, but he isn't able to magic up physicality, or do anything about the age profile of the squad. He has inspired them personally, you can see the effort is there, but some players look to be treading treacle at this stage and in dire need of a rest, yet we've still 8-10 games to go. 

So something has to give somewhere. Could we have managed the squad's fitness better by not demanding up-tempo direct football that drains their energy levels in every game? Could we have used the players' undoubted football skills to make the ball do some of the work for them? Could we have rotated the squad better? Could we even (heaven forbid!) have set up not to lose some of these away matches, rather than go all out to win them? An extra 4 or 5 away points from grinding out defensive draws would be very welcome right now, imo.

Or should we look at this season as a free hit? See it as a learning opportunity for Warne to ascertain who he might want to keep in a much-changed squad for next season to play the way he wants and thinks will eventually succeed in getting us out of this division? Should we steel ourselves to waving goodbye to the type of pretty football that has been Derby's trademark for some years now, but has ultimately brought us little success?

Warne's high-risk, high-reward style of play may yet reap those rewards this season and we might all feel very differently if we gain promotion in a glorious win at Wembley in May. The struggle of how we got there will then be temporarily forgotten. 

I am really enjoying being a 🐏 fan, without the worry really of what’s going on off the pitch for the first time in quite a while 😁

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

Good summary of the conflicts at play.

But with regards to it not being an easy time to be a Derby fan, when is? And it's still certainly better than when we thought we wouldn't have a club.

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

Think the only thing I’m sure of is that this season shouldn’t be seen as a free hit. We were joint third I think early feb. We’re now under real pressure to make the top six. Feels too easy to just say it’s not his squad, players look tired etc.

these are not new issues. We should certainly be looking to address them the best way possible for the next ten games. Promotion is still possible. As soon as it’s not then look to next season.

10 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Think the only thing I’m sure of is that this season shouldn’t be seen as a free hit. We were joint third I think early feb. We’re now under real pressure to make the top six. Feels too easy to just say it’s not his squad, players look tired etc.

these are not new issues. We should certainly be looking to address them the best way possible for the next ten games. Promotion is still possible. As soon as it’s not then look to next season.

It was judged as a free hit at the start of the season by anyone with a modicum of sense. 

Since Warne got brought in (and replaced Rosenoir which shouldn't be ignored) then in some folks minds this has then cranked the expectations up to in some cases totally surreal levels. 

Am sure Warne isn't perfect the same as anyone on this forum and am also sure that all the armchair Footy Manager aficionados could also do a much better job then him at the same time pointing out his glaring deficiencies. 

Easy job isn't it football management 

47 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It was judged as a free hit at the start of the season by anyone with a modicum of sense. 

Since Warne got brought in (and replaced Rosenoir which shouldn't be ignored) then in some folks minds this has then cranked the expectations up to in some cases totally surreal levels. 

Am sure Warne isn't perfect the same as anyone on this forum and am also sure that all the armchair Footy Manager aficionados could also do a much better job then him at the same time pointing out his glaring deficiencies. 

Easy job isn't it football management 

Fairly.  Not many where you can perform awfully and get a million quid shoved in your pocket as they boot you out the door.

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Think in long  turn Warne is the man but why why why do we play well first half the embarrassing second half?  Was so obvious too see again, so annoying 

Last weekend was worse. We were shocking first half and the damage was done 30 minutes into the game.