Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

Listened on RD tonight first time in a while and I have to say Ed Dawes commentary had improved immeasurably it was listenable and balanced. Sounds like an exciting game we should have won but that’s football an away point following a home win is not to be sniffed at.

Just an observation but I don’t recall many of the Bird, Sibley, Thompson et al are ?  posters commenting on Saturdays game where the whole team put on a performance worthy of positive feedback included those mentioned above.

24 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

For all the shots, the huff and puff, the slim squad facts...that was an embarrassing result and I'm angry with the players.

Experienced, in-form players rolling weak penalties along the floor? Pathetic. Take responsibility, pick a side and lift it hard into the roof of the net.

Positives? Roberts, Mendez-Laing as usual, Sibley got a confidence boosting goal, and Dobbin had a much more involved display.

A la Charles George - never missed a pen

Considering we aren't exactly firing, we are still within a few wins of the play offs. Everyone bar the top 2/3 sides are as inconsistent as we have been. If we can stay inside the top 10 until January, get a few more bodies in and Bielik back anything is possible in the second half of the season.

Think of the points we've dropped this season, quite frighteningly wasteful really.

That was alright bar the finishing, should have taken the dub home as Morecambe were probably the worst team we've played this season IMO and we had ample opportunity to take the lead. 

I thought NML, Bird, Sibley and Wildsmith all had good games. Cashin got better as the game went on after a shaky first 20. Dobbin, Roberts and Collins in the ok column. Fozzy, Smith and McGoldrick in the poor/disjointed/tired descriptors. Oulsa should have bagged. Tommo had two standout moments for the wrong reasons. 

I'll put my head above the parapet and say I don't agree with the Dobbin MOTM call, I find him the most frustrating player on the team and here's why. He had two pretty amazing runs in the first half which deserve credit but I thought his final ball, finishing and general play when in really good positions was a real let down tonight, as it has been all season. He reminds me a bit of Theo Robinson, does the hard things well but the easy things terribly. Obviously still young and learning on the job so I'm not writing him off, just thought there were more bad/frustrating things than good things on show. Maybe harsh when he's won us a penalty and has an 'assist' in the stats too but there we go. 

34 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

There seems to be a lot of Bird & Sibley negative comments on here tonight (and in previous matches). Other players gave the ball away just as many times but don't get the criticism. I watched the match  on Rams TV and Shaun Barker gave the MOM to Dobbin but also mentioned that Bird and Sibley were very good tonight. I have got to agree with Shaun Barker, an ex-pro who knows what he's talking about. I also felt Cashin was solid again tonight, so was our keeper and Roberts at left back. Collins and Mcgoldrick were off the mark tonight and not scoring their penalties probably summed up their night.

I thought sibley was up there for motm i dont know how you can question that! Bird was very sloppy with his passing which also led to their goal also his running off the ball was very slack! He did once get back which he did well with cashin defending well apart from that! Barker was a great player from us but everything gets over looked all the time its time for a change as i could quite happily get a load of replays from that match where bird gives the ball away or is just jogging around the pitch iv played that role that bird plays and hes not up to scratch! Its the effort he puts in off the ball as well that does my head! We will never get anywhere with bird getting away with poor performances and getting credit for doing well 

59 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Experienced, in-form players rolling weak penalties along the floor? Pathetic. Take responsibility, pick a side and lift it hard into the roof of the net.

Agree with this. Experienced players should give a penalty all their concentration and effort. Watching Wayne Rooney take a penalty for Derby in the twilight of his career, you could tell how much it meant to him personally, forget about the club for a minute, absolute laser like focus, professional pride at stake. 

Yes, I know Rooney was on a completely different level but the determination to smash the ball into the net should be there for lads like Collins and McGoldrick.

If the keeper makes a worldie, or the ball smashes off the post or bar then fair enough, it happens.

Watch a few Rooney vids lads and make sure next time.

Edited by uttoxram75