Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

I thought today Phillips number 23 they had upfront was excellent, especially in the first half. Numerous times he had the defence on toast with his pace and trickery. 4 goals in 12 games in the league, that's up there with Collins and McGoldrick. Under a long term contract at Huddersfield sadly. 

6 hours ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Birds fault for their goal, its not like he only miss passed it once for their goal he did it 6 or 7 times at one point mcgoldrick and collins throw his arms in the air and turn towards him! He did better then normal but its still below the standards that are expected. It always happens even to the standard of Sunday morning football you can have someone who can barely kick a ball (a fill in player) and a good standard amateur and always concisely good that 1 player who has a half decent game stands out because hes done more then normal/expected, this is what i feel fans have seen them 2nd balls is his job to win hes a professional footballer hes getting paid to do that it shouldn't be a stand out thing that hes won a couple of second balls against 

I was surprised how much Shaun Barker on RamsTV was bigging up Sibley and Bird. Sibley played well in parts and Bird had his moments too but overall the two of them were far from exceptional. But listening to Barker you’d think they were off the charts. What’s going on? Does Warne have influence on the pundits ? does Barker think Sibley and Bird have been getting a raw deal on Twitter (and on here)?
And I like Dobbin and think he’s making progress but Hobgoblin motm? Some great dribbling, good use of pace, and high energy, but not great decision making and so not much came of it. 

I’ve always though SB talks good sense, albeit from a rams perspective, but just now he seems to be descending into the dark arts of spinning the fans 

(don’t like his new wardrobe much either) 

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We could have won by five goals and should have won by at least two goals which is better than not creating a chance 

Putting aside the two soggy penalties, we failed to score on two occasions because Collins hit his chances so hard. Don’t mind that at all they’ll go in next time 

34 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I was surprised how much Shaun Barker on RamsTV was bigging up Sibley and Bird. Sibley played well in parts and Bird had his moments too but overall the two of them were far from exceptional. But listening to Barker you’d think they were off the charts. What’s going on? Does Warne have influence on the pundits ? does Barker think Sibley and Bird have been getting a raw deal on Twitter (and on here)?
And I like Dobbin and think he’s making progress but Hobgoblin motm? Some great dribbling, good use of pace, and high energy, but not great decision making and so not much came of it. 

I’ve always though SB talks good sense, albeit from a rams perspective, but just now he seems to be descending into the dark arts of spinning the fans 

(don’t like his new wardrobe much either) 

I had a Hobgoblin once but burnt my arse.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Apart from a penalty and the assist for the goal.

I like dobbin as I said in my post so please don’t get the wrong idea. I thought the drive for the pen was special. He hit the turbo charge just when he needed to. But tbh if he’d made it past the defender his angle was not the best to capitalise. 

the assist for the goal I can hardly remember but I think it was a very modest display of skill. Credit to Sibley for finding that space, it was a simple pass. Messy deflected shot though compared to theirs, it could be their goal of the season 

Dobbin made the bye line several times and failed to make a simple cut back to a man in dangerous space. He’s still learning. 

I do realise it’s nice for him to be motm. I’m just saying there were probably 4 other more worthy winners 

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

It’s clear you like Osulla and don’t like Dobbin Roy as you keep banging the Ossula drum !!

Ossula showed how green he is last night and to be honest we need better than him and Dobbin does flatter to deceive but at least showed last night he can cause problems …if I was Warne I’d not worry if both went back to there clubs in January but think Dobbin would be more of a loss …im hoping Warne has some better players in mind for January 

And Osula has shown that he can score goals! He deserves a chance to start with the big boys, not stuck on at the end. Dobbin wouldn't be a big loss, he just runs fast - so I'm sure Warne will look to keep him. ?

Better forwards would be good, but at the rate we're getting through CBs we'll need a few more! ? 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And Osula has shown that he can score goals! He deserves a chance to start with the big boys, not stuck on at the end. Dobbin wouldn't be a big loss, he just runs fast - so I'm sure Warne will look to keep him. ?

Better forwards would be good, but at the rate we're getting through CBs we'll need a few more! ? 

Osula got plenty of time last night, and other than missing a pretty easy chance, contributed little and looked a bit clumsy.

Dobbin was driving the ball forward and creating chances. If you really think Dobbin "just runs fast" you have a pretty poor eye for the game really. 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Osula got plenty of time last night, and other than missing a pretty easy chance, contributed little and looked a bit clumsy.

Dobbin was driving the ball forward and creating chances. If you really think Dobbin "just runs fast" you have a pretty poor eye for the game really. 

Indeed. Dobbin has looked much more accomplished than Osula so far. Osula had a great game against Accrington, but hasn't really played well other than that. 

Dobbin is steadily building his performances up and getting better game by game. He still needs to learn when to release it and improve his general play in the final third, but we are starting to see progression and he's certainly a threat when carrying the ball. 

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Osula is a natural forward and does get opportunities, but his playing style can only be described as 'Labrador'. I do think that he would score goals if given minutes purely because we're playing against poor opposition and his movement off the ball is impressive.

He's had more one-on-one opportunities than any of our players, despite playing a fraction of the playing time, it's not a coincidence. 

Equally, Dobbin is an extremely talented dribbler, exceptional foot speed and close control. The lack of conviction in his end product, though, is extremely concerning in terms of his development. 

Both have their own strengths, Dobbin is definitely the better player, but can see why they're playing in League One. I do think with intensive coaching that both have the ability to be good championship players. I'd doubt their ceiling is any higher than that, however. 

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Of course I must have because that's your opinion. ?

Did Dobbin score then I must have slept through that. He missed a pretty easy chance (on your scale that is) too! 

Osula for me is a typical League Two forward. A long ball over the top he can chase and whack suits him down to the ground. 
He’s a bit awkward and clumsy and his touch isn’t great but he’s quick for a big guy and strong.

Dobbin is the polar opposite.

His touch is pretty good and he has a trick or two but he lacks the physicality and striking power.

Both are young and will improve. Whether or not they will do it during their spells with us I’m not sure.

They can learn a lot about what to do (and what not to do) by watching McGoldrick and Collins.

On 01/11/2022 at 12:27, Elwood P Dowd said:

Yes, according to the EFL valuer, Pride Park and Morecambe’s  were just “bog standard”  football grounds. He did admit that he never visited Pride Park.????

The grounds are so similar that it will be like another home game for us?????

Sitting in the stadium last night, the very same thought came to me. I thought the EFL 'stadium expert' comments at the tribunal were laughable, as did the tribunal chair at the time. But now having seen the stadium in all its 'glory', I think the EFL and the 'expert' should now be charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice. If I ever had any doubt, this is now the clincher for me as proof of the EFL's determination and desperation to nail us to the mast, come what may.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

24 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

If I ever had any doubt, this is now the clincher for me as proof of the EFL's determination and desperation to nail us to the mast, come what may.

Once they are in a formal dispute with a club, it’s adversarial: the EFL’s job is to try to win. It’s similar to the role of the prosecuting authorities: once a prosecution is ongoing,  their job is to try to secure a conviction. As you probably know 

We succeeded in our argument that PP was worth 80m. And DC bought it for just 23m  ! 

Edited by kevinhectoring

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Once they are in a formal dispute with a club, it’s adversarial: the EFL’s job is to try to win. It’s similar to the role of the prosecuting authorities: once a prosecution is ongoing,  their job is to try to secure a conviction. As you probably know 

We succeeded in our argument that PP was worth 80m. And DC bought it for just 23m  ! 

In reality DC bought the stadium for the price of the  debt to MSD that MM paid off as it was on a personal guarantee . So not the value of the stadium ?

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

WALOB

4 hours ago, Rich84 said:

I distinctly remember him defending in the right back position more than once last night to prevent a clear run at goal by Morecombe after we'd lost the ball.

IMO a serious case of blinkered vision.

And as @Mr Tibbssaid, he didn't have a great game, but definitely pretty steady last night, especially considering he didn't have a regular fellow centre mid alongside him

I cant remember him once covering rb sibley did more covering then bird, you cant say that about a regular cm with him as sibley has played loads of games cm with him if any it should help him bring with someone hes played with for years