Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

So after going straight to bed ready for 3 am start to Wednesday, then a 15 hour day at work (who'd be an HGV driver, eh?) I finally arrived at the keyboard at 9.00 pm!

What a match last night! Loads to enjoy, and loads to moan about - if you must! We all knew that we had to continue with the revelation of Saturday's performance, but I had my doubts, with the spectre of 3 at the back looming, and depleted energy levels after Saturday, but after a slight wobble early on, we carried on as before. It was a different gameplay, but the energy, the pressing and the desire to move the ball quickly were still there. And in reality, I was very happy with the performance, apart from the final pass, move or shot. I think the penalty misses left their mark, and made us want to rush and snatch at our shots, and to force our chances. But very quickly we have gone from being unable to string more than a couple of passes together to dictating and even dominating the play at times in two matches now. The training is evidently beginning to take root in the players, and we are beginning to see the player's natural abilities.

It is likely that McGoldrick was suffering from his exertions at the weekend, and never really got into his stride, lovely as it is! Dobbin had probably his best match yet, but actually produced very little, so some work on end product is needed - maybe his concentration is all on his running and dribbling, so he needs to  learn how to spot the next move, once he has got into those dangerous positions.

And with a complete break from tradition, I though the ref was pretty good last night. I know he missed the NLM penalty, and didn't book anyone for handball for the 2nd penalty (he actually ha no idea who'd done it!), and failed woefully to control the time wasting. But overall he got most things right, and wasn't playing the part of the showman. Sadly, that's it for the season. Back to the usual dross in the middle from now on!

So we've gone from a squad of 5 players, to the fear of hoofball, to embarrassingly poor football to what we have seen for the last two matches, which is quite some progress. So despite not getting the win our play deserved ( and didn't deserve after missing the spot kicks), I am happy with where we are, because we now are getting an idea of where we might be going.

Right: Who's up for the cup?

Very poor result considering that we were playing against a very ordinary team, struggling near the bottom of L1. As other posters have said, we could have won the game. We really should have come away with three points, but one point is better than none... 

Unfortunately at this stage we are not quite good enough to win 'back to back' games, even when presented with gifts like two penalties as well as multiple clear cut chances to score.

Due to the lack of depth in the squad and many first team players not coping so well with two games a week, we will not see any improvement until Warne can get some energy into the team. Hopefully something will happen in January. 

1 hour ago, JPRamFan said:

Have to say after watching the game back on RamsTV, that the Morecambe stadium had an uncanny resemblance to Pride Park. Surprised the players, staff and fans weren't confused as to what stadium they were in. 

There was an added bonus there though, gravy on the pies. ooh… gravy