Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

Not read the topic fully to really gauge the mood, didn’t think the performance was too bad in all honesty. It’s going to be frustrating walking away with a point when you’ve missed 2 penalties and should have been given a 3rd. 2 points dropped rather than 1 point gained but it’s not the end of the world.

We’re still in the mix and all signs are we will strengthen in January, January onwards thats when you want to be the team in form, with the momentum, as long as we can keep picking up points with a win here, draw there and staying within reach we’ll be fine. 

2pts outside the top 6 and 7 games until the window opens, can’t see Warne wanting to wait until deadline day to make his moves. 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We could have won by five goals and should have won by at least two goals which is better than not creating a chance 

We could have also lost the game, not sure how they did not put away one of those chances at the death. A very strange game, end to end but with some abysmal finishing from both teams. Makes you realise what a difference a goal scoring forward (or at least some one who can shoot straight) can be in this league. 

2 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

We could have also lost the game, not sure how they did not put away one of those chances at the death. A very strange game, end to end but with some abysmal finishing from both teams. Makes you realise what a difference a goal scoring forward (or at least some one who can shoot straight) can be in this league. 

To be fair I don't feel like defending Collins too much because I didn't think he had a good game overall (not lacking in effort mind) but he did hit the bar with a decent effort, and they're fine margins - remember Haaland's "easier-to-score" howler in the Community Shield... won't be bothering him much now (if it ever did). What I'm saying is, a couple of inches lower and it's suddenly a great finish, makes up for the mediocre penalty, rich vein of form, etc...

But I don't disagree - on the whole it's disappointing that we only took one chance, and to miss two penalties is terrible. (Should have had a third one though!)

57 minutes ago, jameso said:

To be fair I don't feel like defending Collins too much because I didn't think he had a good game overall (not lacking in effort mind) but he did hit the bar with a decent effort, and they're fine margins - remember Haaland's "easier-to-score" howler in the Community Shield... won't be bothering him much now (if it ever did). What I'm saying is, a couple of inches lower and it's suddenly a great finish, makes up for the mediocre penalty, rich vein of form, etc...

But I don't disagree - on the whole it's disappointing that we only took one chance, and to miss two penalties is terrible. (Should have had a third one though!)

There will always be games like this. It happens ! We are getting away points now. Stay in the mix. Biggest worry is Cashin suspended when we are short of bodies. Need to hang in there and all will be well. 

2 hours ago, jameso said:

You are right that Bird gave the ball away in the run-up to their goal, and it was a poor pass, and yes it wasn't his only one (although on the whole I thought his passing was pretty good... no idea about the stats or where to find them!)

However the fact we couldn't stop that goal, which was actually scored about 25 seconds after Bird misplaced his pass, is the real disappointment. It's not like Morecambe blitzed us with their passing for the goal, although they did well and it was a great finish.

Personally I was more bothered by Collins' awful pass which set up Cashin's desperate yellow-card lunge, and every time NML tries an obvious nutmeg where he must realise that if he loses it his opponent has a headstart on him while he's facing the wrong direction and usually with no back-up! 

Were you as annoyed by Curtis Davies' misplaced pass at Ipswich - which led immediately to an easy goal - as by Bird's one last night?

Yes i was but at the same time curt did look match fit in the game felt like he rush back in too soon 

39 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

The biggest, most obvious outlier for me is just how slow our backline is. Every counter came down to us either making a perfect tackle or being left in the dust. If Cashin had legs he'd be a superstar.

That surely won’t have gone unnoticed.

I wonder if he will try either Rooney or Roberts in the middle in Cashin’s absence?

Forsyth and Stearman too slow as a pair.

3 hours ago, David said:

Not read the topic fully to really gauge the mood, didn’t think the performance was too bad in all honesty. It’s going to be frustrating walking away with a point when you’ve missed 2 penalties and should have been given a 3rd. 2 points dropped rather than 1 point gained but it’s not the end of the world.

We’re still in the mix and all signs are we will strengthen in January, January onwards thats when you want to be the team in form, with the momentum, as long as we can keep picking up points with a win here, draw there and staying within reach we’ll be fine. 

2pts outside the top 6 and 7 games until the window opens, can’t see Warne wanting to wait until deadline day to make his moves. 

Spot on. Last season Sheffield Wednesday were 9th in January. Second half of the season they improved. They finished 4th and were still mathematically in the automatic promotion race in the last few games. 

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or even at League 1 level can't pass the ball and runs into dead-ends. We were lucky they fouled him for the penalty.

It’s clear you like Osulla and don’t like Dobbin Roy as you keep banging the Ossula drum !!

Ossula showed how green he is last night and to be honest we need better than him and Dobbin does flatter to deceive but at least showed last night he can cause problems …if I was Warne I’d not worry if both went back to there clubs in January but think Dobbin would be more of a loss …im hoping Warne has some better players in mind for January 

5 hours ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Birds fault for their goal, its not like he only miss passed it once for their goal he did it 6 or 7 times at one point mcgoldrick and collins throw his arms in the air and turn towards him! He did better then normal but its still below the standards that are expected. It always happens even to the standard of Sunday morning football you can have someone who can barely kick a ball (a fill in player) and a good standard amateur and always concisely good that 1 player who has a half decent game stands out because hes done more then normal/expected, this is what i feel fans have seen them 2nd balls is his job to win hes a professional footballer hes getting paid to do that it shouldn't be a stand out thing that hes won a couple of second balls against 

I'll humour you as it's my original post you're referring to. 

Max had a pass success rating of 83% last night. I'm not sure what standards you want from him but I think it's pretty unrealistic to not misplace 7 passes a game? (It was actually 7 in total). How is 83% below the standard required for any level, anywhere? For reference, Kevin De Bruyne has an average of 80.3% this season in passing success, so Max isn't even below the standards set by a world beater. I'm sure Max will be the first to admit his fault for the initial possession loss for their goal but that happens in football, every game by someone or other. There was nothing wrong with his passing last night. I've been a critic when he's been way off whats required but last night wasn't one of those nights.

As for the second balls, seems a miserable take on it. It's Ronaldo's job to score so we shouldn't praise him for scoring any of his 818 goals? Bird isn't a combative midfielder and never has been. He's been asked to be more aggressive both on and off the ball and on last nights evidence is improving in both aspects, certainly vs what we saw against Ipswich and Exeter. 

I'm not giving him the MOTD accolade, just purely saying he played well. I'd have gone 6.5 or 7 out of 10 if I rated his performance which I think is more than fair. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I'll humour you as it's my original post you're referring to. 

Max had a pass success rating of 83% last night. I'm not sure what standards you want from him but I think it's pretty unrealistic to not misplace 7 passes a game? (It was actually 7 in total). How is 83% below the standard required for any level, anywhere? For reference, Kevin De Bruyne has an average of 80.3% this season in passing success, so Max isn't even below the standards set by a world beater. I'm sure Max will be the first to admit his fault for the initial possession loss for their goal but that happens in football, every game by someone or other. There was nothing wrong with his passing last night. I've been a critic when he's been way off whats required but last night wasn't one of those nights.

As for the second balls, seems a miserable take on it. It's Ronaldo's job to score so we shouldn't praise him for scoring any of his 818 goals? Bird isn't a combative midfielder and never has been. He's been asked to be more aggressive both on and off the ball and on last nights evidence is improving in both aspects, certainly vs what we saw against Ipswich and Exeter. 

I'm not giving him the MOTD accolade, just purely saying he played well. I'd have gone 6.5 or 7 out of 10 if I rated his performance which I think is more than fair. 

Its not the fact of losing the ball 7 times he does f*** all to try and win it back! He doesnt miss pass it then bust a b****ck to get back just stroles around the pitch but there all simple 10 to 20 yard passes 

Edited by Dcfcsr92

2 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Its not the fact of losing the ball 7 times he does f*** all to try and win it back! He doesnt miss pass it then bust a b****ck to get back just stroles around the pitch but there all simple 10 to 20 yard passes 

I distinctly remember him defending in the right back position more than once last night to prevent a clear run at goal by Morecombe after we'd lost the ball.

IMO a serious case of blinkered vision.

And as @Mr Tibbssaid, he didn't have a great game, but definitely pretty steady last night, especially considering he didn't have a regular fellow centre mid alongside him

14 hours ago, PrideParkhead said:

Derby have failed to beat some really poor teams away this season despite creating numerous chances in these games. Incredibly frustrating. Need to trade in Knight in January to free up some money for a decent loanee striker 

Are you mad mate he creates chances and he can score goals too